• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    www.gunbot.net.

I avoid CTD. During the panic they cancelled backorders for ammo... then re-listed the ammo for sale at a jacked up price. I don't mind businesses that raise prices to meet market demand, but don't accept backorders at one price, then when the product comes in cancel the orders and try and make more off someone else. That's just bad business practice in my mind.

I wasn't aware of this. I mildly defended them for maintaining liquidity in the market. After all, if you NEEDED something, they were perhaps the only game in town, and you would pay dearly. OTOH, cancelling is a whole 'nuther thing. :mad54:

For instance, IIRC, Brownell's was expecting a delivery of AR lowers from Aero that Brownell's had ordered before the panic. When the panic set in, Aero cancelled the wholesale shipment to Brownell's :wtf: and instead sold the lowers direct at retail, at much inflated prices. Brownell's had to unwind their sales to guys like you and me. Aero is dead to me for doing that. Aero should have honored their order, too.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It sounds very sketchy...VERY:sad20:

A friend of mine ordered a high cap mag from there yesterday. (VA resident)
    I am planning on ordering range ammo if i find a good deal.

Can anyone validate their credibility or confirm my suspicion?

If you have any other sites you prefer please post so i may take note.

Absolutely not sketchy at all. I've ordered from them at least 5 times and always gotten exactly what I ordered in decent time. I don't have a problem with them charging whatever the market price is (hint, if people are paying X, that IS the market price). The whole 'cancel orders and put back in stock at higher price' is bothersome to me, but not to the level of not doing business with them. All people in the business of selling firearms and accessories at that time were faced with the possibility that their livelihood would be legislated out of existence in a matter of months, so I am not going to second guess their business decisions. That goes for all MD dealers too.

Consider this situation.. you are selling your house at market value, say $250k, and you have it listed for sale at that price. The county declares a moratorium on development, no new houses for 10 years, now you find out your house will sell for $1mil. It is listed and you have offers, but you haven't signed any papers (ie, not 'shipped'). Do you delist it and relist at the higher price?

If you don't, you're a dumba$$. If you do, I suppose you're an a-hole. :shrug:

Meh. It is what it is. The only reason I would stop doing business with a company is if I were actually ripped off... ie, they took my money and gave me something inferior to what I ordered... or misrepresented it's condition. I have bought surplus/used items, such as ammo cans, miisurp cleaning kits, and gun grips/stocks from CTD, and they were consistently in BETTER condition than what was represented on the web site.

No, I do not own stock in CTD, own a Porsche or BMW, or give free prostate exams. I charge whatever the market will bear. :D

bowoah

GlockBlock
    Jul 1, 2014
    PG County
    Absolutely not sketchy at all. I've ordered from them at least 5 times and always gotten exactly what I ordered in decent time. I don't have a problem with them charging whatever the market price is (hint, if people are paying X, that IS the market price). The whole 'cancel orders and put back in stock at higher price' is bothersome to me, but not to the level of not doing business with them.

Consider this situation.. you are selling your house at market value, say $250k, and you have it listed for sale at that price. The county declares a moratorium on development, no new houses for 10 years, now you find out your house will sell for $1mil. It is listed and you have offers, but you haven't signed any papers (ie, not 'shipped'). Do you delist it and relist at the higher price?

If you don't, you're a dumba$$. If you do, I suppose you're an a-hole. :shrug:

Meh. It is what it is. The only reason I would stop doing business with a company is if I were actually ripped off... ie, they took my money and gave me something inferior to what I ordered... or misrepresented it's condition. I have bought surplus/used items from CTD, and they were consistently in BETTER condition than what was represented on the web site.

No, I do not own stock in CTD, own a Porsche or BMW, or give free prostate exams. I charge whatever the market will bear. :D

Makes alot of sense. I was looking for the ripoff report. i havent seen any here sooo my order was placed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How about you want to buy the house for 250k, the owner accepts your offer, then finds out it's worth a million bucks and cancels your deal.

How would you feel about that?

It's market price right?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    How about you want to buy the house for 250k, the owner accepts your offer, then finds out it's worth a million bucks and cancels your deal.

It's market price right?

If no papers were signed, I would no doubt be mad, and I would piss and moan and call him an a-hole, but there's nothing I could do about it, because it is still his ammo house, not mine yet.

If we had signed papers, I'd probably try to sue his ass.

I didn't say I liked the situation, but like I said, it is what it is. The seller is always going to want as much as possible and the buyer always wants to pay as little as possible.

If you like hypotheticals, how about you're a lowly employee at CTD, the whole country is still in an economic downturn, not a lot of jobs to be had, and you're having daily discussions with your co-workers about how much longer the company will stay in business. Are you going to be happy with them selling their product at below market prices when that extra $$ that some customers are willing to pay will mean that you get to keep your job and feed your kids for another week?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well CTD didn't have to cancel my order, then offer again the next day at a higher price. But they did. I don't do business with companies like that.

If you knew in advance that the home owner might pull this, I guess you could try, would you want to buy the house from him?

F CTD

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As someone that's spent more than I care to admit in the past with them - Fvck them.

There's a difference between adjusted market pricing and predatory pricing. When your charging nearly $100 for a magazine that a competitor is selling for a fraction of that price - that's taking advantage of uninformed buyers. Granted, the buyer should research, but that doesn't excuse the vendor for taking advantage of a situation to the fullest.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

It's market price right?

Even better, you put it on the market for $250K, sell it and the buyer pays, but when it comes time to sign the papers at closing, you find out it is worth $1M and you back out of the current deal and offer to sell it to the same buyer for $1M.

CTD are asshats. Those that want to deal with them, more power to you. Just don't come whining when they screw you.

Selling things at prices ASKED FOR, not SOLD FOR, on Gun Broker is being an asshat.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    CTD is famous for the bait and switch, when it comes to their prices. The last time I put in an order for ammo, they emailed me saying they couldn't fill the order, cancelled it, then relisted the ammo for a higher price the next day.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Well CTD didn't have to cancel my order, then offer again the next day at a higher price. But they did. I don't do business with companies like that.

If you knew in advance that the home owner might pull this, I guess you could try, would you want to buy the house from him?

F CTD

What if you purchased an item from A-Mart and found the identical item at B-Mart for less money a week later. Is it wrong for you to return the item to A-Mart and buy the cheaper one from B-Mart?

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    I wish Comcast was more like CTD............

then, I can say screw you and buy the same thing somewhere else at a reasonable price.
    :thumbsup:

BTW - as of last week comcast encodes all of their signals. No more free analog signals on cable. Now, you have to rent a DTA for the so called free channels

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What if you purchased an item from A-Mart and found the identical item at B-Mart for less money a week later. Is it wrong for you to return the item to A-Mart and buy the cheaper one from B-Mart?

Depends on the store's return policy. I'm sure most don't charge a restocking fee If it's allowed, no problem..Does CTD have a return policy? Sure. Will they charge me a restocking fee? probably. A Mart and B Mart might too. Most do not. But If it's allowed, then sure.

But this isn't just about their pricing. it's about their sales tactics, which suck.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Depends on the store's return policy. I'm sure most don't charge a restocking fee If it's allowed, no problem..Does CTD have a return policy? Sure. Will they charge me a restocking fee? probably. A Mart and B Mart might too. Most do not. But If it's allowed, then sure.

But this isn't just about their pricing. it's about their sales tactics, which suck.

My point is that retail customers go back on their deals all the time, usually after paying and taking possession of the good. Not sure why there's so much hate when a vendor does it before delivering or charging for the good.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the seller allows it, no problem on a return. What policy allows the seller, not the buyer, to cancel the deal? Does CTD have a policy saying once you have committed to an order, we can cancel it because we can sell it for more tomorrow?

Beating a dead horse. Shop there if it suits you.

Poisoning the well, nice. As long as we're sharing our opinions, I think some people on MDS are pathetically vying for Teratos approval :shrug:

Not true. You chided me in this thread for the same thing...
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3300262#post3300262 (posts 2439 and 2440)
    You are always really quick to come to the aid of CTD when others discuss their bad experiences.

I never met Teratos and have no need to seek his approval. I already have a primary care physician.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Never had a Dr. cancel an appointment, then reschedule me and charge me more for the same service
    Let me introduce you to my wife's former dentist. She literally did exactly that- and called her stupid at the same time.

She ordered the "b" crown. The crown was scheduled to arrive on Monday (for example) the appt scheduled the following wed to install it. She arrives ontime for her appt. They looked for it for 30 min whole she sat in the chair. It wasn't ordered. They order it and schedule the next Monday. She showsup - They install the "b" crown (the "a" crown isn't covered by insurance). She goes to pay the bill- it's for the "a" crown. She explains to the billing woman she got the "b" crown. Billing lady "oh I just assumed you got the "a" crown, that's the smart thing to do. She corrects the bill. Wife fires the dentist.

Reminds me of Cheaper than dirt.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Let me introduce you to my wife's former dentist. She literally did exactly that- and called her stupid at the same time.

She ordered the "b" crown. The crown was scheduled to arrive on Monday (for example) the appt scheduled the following wed to install it. She arrives ontime for her appt. They looked for it for 30 min whole she sat in the chair. It wasn't ordered. They order it and schedule the next Monday. She showsup - They install the "b" crown (the "a" crown isn't covered by insurance). She goes to pay the bill- it's for the "a" crown. She explains to the billing woman she got the "b" crown. Billing lady "oh I just assumed you got the "a" crown, that's the smart thing to do. She corrects the bill. Wife fires the dentist.

Reminds me of Cheaper than dirt.
    I was referring to our good Doc. he doesn't pull the crap CTD does, nor does he overcharge anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom