• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    Hi, I've never sold a gun before. I am thinking of selling my 10/22. I looked through the forum and it appears that I don't need any sort of permission to sell the rifle, is that correct? I am confused about this because I had to have a background check when I bought the rifle so I don't understand why someone who buys the rifle from me wouldn't also need a background check. From what I understand, I can just list the rifle for sale and then meet another MD resident somewhere, give him/her the rifle, they give me money for it, and that's it?

For some reason it just doesn't sound right to me that they wouldn't need a background check...please inform me.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    As long as you have no reason to believe that the buyer is prohibited, you are good to go. A signed receipt is a good idea too.
    Get a few more posts on here and you can list it in the classifieds.

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    so if I sell someone the rifle and they end up being prohibited or commit a crime with the rifle, will I face any consequences? i am just concerned given the current political climate surrounding firearms.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Were it me, I'd get a driver's license number, bill of sale (signed by both parties) and ask if they've ever been convicted of a crime? Certainly, they can lie, but at least you've made a reasonable attempt to ascertain the buyer's legal eligibility under current law.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you search, there is a BoS someone made for a face to face sale on here. I would not ask if they committed a crime, I would have them sign a BoS that states that they are not a prohibited person.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I always just check for a MD id. Any questions are useless as they can lie, and signed documentation is cumbersome and overkill imo. It's up to the individual tho.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here's a couple BOS samples. feel free to use them.

Attachments

• billofsale.pdf
      87.1 KB · Views: 214
    • guntransfer.pdf
      530.6 KB · Views: 183

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is it me or does the OP sound like an undercover anti? Read the post again and it almost sounds like a standard stance for all antis.

I call BS on this post. Prove me wrong.
    Jim Smith

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Two more good-faith posts will bring your post count to 50, allowing you to offer the rifle in the classifieds here.

A 10/22 will sell quickly if the price is right.

You may not legally sell to a person you know is Prohibited, but it's up to you to decide what it takes for you to be satisfied that a buyer is okay.

In addition to running him through Case Search, you can look over his posting history here on MDS: you can get a feel for people from their posts. Also, if you see he already has a bunch of guns, especially handguns, you can be sure he's been through multiple background checks already. If he has a concealed carry permit from Utah, Florida, Virginia... even Maryland, it means he's willingly submitted his fingerprints for an FBI background check.

Also, if you know he already has guns, you can be pretty sure he doesn't need yours to pursue a life of crime.

There is no specific requirement for you to get anything in writing from the buyer, but many here would suggest you get him to sign a bill of sale. I've scribbled a few words on a scrap of paper and signed it, both as buyer and seller.

For the sale, you might meet in a shopping center parking lot (Wal Mart lots are under video surveillance, which is good), or at a shooting range. Better yet, meet in the parking lot of a police station. Go inside and tell the cops what you're doing first. If the buyer won't meet you at the cop shop, then find another buyer.

Another point: you're selling a .22 rifle. Long guns of all types are rarely used in crimes, and a little .22 in particular is unlikely to be the choice of a bank robber or mayhem killer. Sell to someone with at least 50 or 100 or 500 posts, whatever you decide. Read over his posts. Talk to him on the phone. If you're not comfortable with him, turn him down. A popular rifle like a 10/22 will sell fast.

edit to add: I see you're a member of the AGC. Just do the transfer there at the range. Also, see if anyone at your club is interested in buying it.

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    thanks a lot everyone. I definitely feel more comfortable selling the rifle now.

as for the whole anti- theory. just chalk questions like this up to the fact that I have owned no guns up until 3-4 months ago and therefore, have basically zero knowledge about anything related to them.

thanks again!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    thanks a lot everyone. I definitely feel more comfortable selling the rifle now.

as for the whole anti- theory. just chalk questions like this up to the fact that I have owned no guns up until 3-4 months ago and therefore, have basically zero knowledge about anything related to them.

thanks again!
    Where are you located? I'd be interested in a 10/22. Answer my post and you'll have 50 posts and can post in the classifieds. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom