• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwhite407

Always Packing
    Jan 31, 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore
    Did the 77R on April 4th. ND on April 9th. The fax back to the gun dealer got "lost" due to a firing and new hiring, but I picked it up the 30th. As of April 23rd, I knew I had paid for it. The rest was after the fact details from an e-mail from MSP Licensing. On April 23rd, for sheets and giggles, I called up and listened to the MSP Licensing Division backlog message. It was option 8. They are all caught up. So I sent an e-mail right after that, to see where they were on the current back log. I consider not hearing anything after 7 business days a back log (this was 14 business days), personally. Below is the response I got asking how far back they currently were.

Good Afternoon,

There was no need for you to call Licensing Division to inquire about your application because it is not considered a backlog application. The backlog applications were applications submitted prior to October 2013. Your application was received on April 4, 2014 and was processed as Not Disapproved on April 9,2014. The procedure is that once we complete your background check we will forward the status of your application to the FFL and they will contact you in reference to your purchase. I spoke with someone at Gander Mountain as I was responding to your email and was told that there is a new employee that handles their paperwork and that she will return to the store for work tomorrow April 24, 2014. Thank you.

Now with that being said, why was there no need to call? It was longer than 7 days. Period. Last time I checked, this was still America (barely), and we still have the right to freedom of speech (as long as we are in a designated free speech zone?). I know in actuality, this is pretty good turn around for them. After all, I got to pick it up in the same month I purchased it, right? The attitude of the faceless, nameless response of "MSP Licensing Division" is what pissed me off.

The long and short of it is, there is no backlog. According to them...

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    This is just my experience, other dealers may differ. I do not believe there is any backlog any longer.

We have received ND replies and NICS numbers on every single pre-October application we filed, and there were thousands.

The current turn-around time is often, but not always, less than one day. (e.g-fax in the morning, have reply after lunch.)

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    This is just my experience, other dealers may differ. I do not believe there is any backlog any longer.

We have received ND replies and NICS numbers on every single pre-October application we filed, and there were thousands.

The current turn-around time is often, but not always, less than one day. (e.g-fax in the morning, have reply after lunch.)

I am still waiting for the return of the paperwork from a September 17, 2013 transfer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This is copied from the Maryland State Police Licensing Division Website today:

Regulated Firearms Purchase/Transfer Status

The Maryland State Police (MSP), Firearms Registration Unit (FRU) has closed out its processing of 2013 Applications and Affidavits to purchase a Regulated Firearm. Should any further 2013 applications be submitted to MSP-FRU, they must be accompanied by the original fax confirmation. If you have further questions, please contact Sergeant Thomas Heath at 410-865-3928 or Corporal Joseph Durkee at 410-865-3927 for your application status.

Any fax inquiries regarding any 2013 application must be sent to 410-865-4450. The Maryland State Police thanks every citizen and Maryland Firearm dealer who worked with us during this very difficult time. Your patience and cooperation was and continues to be very much appreciated.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I am still waiting for the return of the paperwork from a September 17, 2013 transfer.

I called them and they said that a bunch of the pre-10/1 ones got filed away instead of getting mailed out. Apparently someone didn't know that they were supposed to be sent out. They said that they're currently digging through their files to find them and send them out. My seller (in a secondary sale) still has not got the paperwork back for a purchase we made on 8/11/2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom