• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Except for the part where $200 in 1934 was the equivalent of about $3,500 today.
    Back in the thirties, the average house cost ~$2,000~$7,000. That c.1934 $200 tax stamp equates to something more like $20,000 today.

Feb 28, 2013
    If we're allowed universal sales, then I might actually support universal background checks. But give-and-take in that sense doesn't currently exist.:sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Except for the part where $200 in 1934 was the equivalent of about $3,500 today.

They intended it to be a sin tax so exorbitant that none of the peons would ever be able to pay it. There is no doubt that the purpose was to disarm the public by increments, and that public safety was a distant afterthought. If, at the time, they could have gotten away with a similar tax on handguns, they would have.

Combine that with a Supreme Court cowed by F.D.R.'s threats to pack the bench and absent defense counsel, and you have the Miller precedent that gun control is constitutional.

Then, yes. Now, not so much.

But stopping "new" machine guns really made it a PITA.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Why was NFA not fought against for so long ? Because everyone had fresh memories that the final version of the NFA was a major Victory for gun owners.

The intention of the Anti's was for the regations and tax stamps to be in effect for ALL handguns. And they actually had good chances to pull it off. The valiant efforts of progun citizens , the NRA , and the USRA , were able to trim it back to only the machineguns and present items.
    Yes the NFA is silly and illogical. If it had passed in origional form , it actually would have been much more logically consistant.

Yes , it is stupid , pointless , set bad presecendents , and just plain bad. And of course it would be an improvement if it had never happened. But it will never be repealed on a political basis. Tweaked and reformed barely possable , repealed never. ( Overturned is possable , repeal is not. )

NFA was a miserable defeat and imposition on RKBA/2A no matter how you slice it.

Your argument is akin to saying that Obamacare is a victory for all people seeking health ins/healthcare/freedom of association because the original intent was/is socialized medicine.

NFA was your typical solution to a problem created by government and an attempt to control criminals by imposing onerous restrictions on law abiding citizens......sound familiar? Remind you of any recent legislation in Md?

Look at historical context

1917 Congress passed constitutional ammendment and Prohibition went to the states for ratification......in 1920 the 18th ammendment was ratified and went into effect.

During the subsequent 13 years until it was repealed organized crime took off, violence and crime exploded and the fed gov attempted to bring its full weight to combat the problem it created in imposing Prohibition.

NFA was passed in the wake of the repeal of the 18th ammendment/prohibition in an attempt to control crime.

We're experiencing the exact same thing today that existed in the early 20th century with the "Prohibition" that the fed gov has imposed through the "War On Drugs"

Since the initiation of the "War On Drugs" we've seen the militarization of police and other agencies to combat the growth of organized crime......same thing that happened under prohibition.

This is the problem with excess gooberment and the unconstitutional laws/regulations that it imposes on the states and their citizens that pervert markets and CREATE problems that the fed gov "needs" to step in to control.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Then, yes. Now, not so much.

But stopping "new" machine guns really made it a PITA.

Didn't outlaw new ones, just failed to provide funding to re-open the registry........and the GOP failed to address this problem when it had the opportunity which super majorities in house/senate during the boosh administration.

GOP progressive leadership is every bit as much of a threat to liberty/freedom as the demwits are

First step SHOULD be to fund the opening of the registry and allow new f/a under current NFA and demonstrate that sale of more f/a will have no more negative impact on crime than ending/no renewing the "AWB" did.....and in doing so debunk the liberal hysteria as a precursor to eliminating NFA

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    NFA was a miserable defeat and imposition on RKBA/2A no matter how you slice it.
    Your argument is akin to saying that Obamacare is a victory for all people seeking health ins/healthcare/freedom of association because the original intent was/is socialized medicine.
    NFA was your typical solution to a problem created by government and an attempt to control criminals by imposing onerous restrictions on law abiding citizens......sound familiar? Remind you of any recent legislation in Md?
    Look at historical context
    1917 Congress passed constitutional ammendment and Prohibition went to the states for ratification......in 1920 the 18th ammendment was ratified and went into effect.
    During the subsequent 13 years until it was repealed organized crime took off, violence and crime exploded and the fed gov attempted to bring its full weight to combat the problem it created in imposing Prohibition.
    NFA was passed in the wake of the repeal of the 18th ammendment/prohibition in an attempt to control crime.
    We're experiencing the exact same thing today that existed in the early 20th century with the "Prohibition" that the fed gov has imposed through the "War On Drugs"
    Since the initiation of the "War On Drugs" we've seen the militarization of police and other agencies to combat the growth of organized crime......same thing that happened under prohibition.
    This is the problem with excess gooberment and the unconstitutional laws/regulations that it imposes on the states and their citizens that pervert markets and CREATE problems that the fed gov "needs" to step in to control.
    Yes.

I wasnt trying to be a dick but after gaining a wider perspective of how the fight is fought elsewhere, I realize just how meek and ineffective the movement is in MD. Travel has brought me through many of my neighboring states and they just do it differently. They threaten, congregate, show up at politicians homes with signs, illegal open carry rallies... They make it personal. DEFIANCE is the way to win. Worked here. 30rd mags "cant be sold here". EVERY gunshop carries them, drums, and surefire 100s. Suits and emails dont work after a while and THAT is my point. Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming should be studied. The knee jerk stuff the libs in Denver passed last year are LITERALLY unenforced in 90% of the state. Hell there was a Deputy in uniform buying a surefire mag in front of me last week when I got my lower. The underground/ grassroots movements there are astounding in their audacity. The MD movement is flat out pussified. It took my traveling for work and such and speaking with dozens of shop owners and our very own County Sheriff to come to this conclusion. Hell his pictures are hanging in gun shops with a signature on it. No new laws are enforced, and he was a major influence in the recall.

Bottom line of my opinion: unless yall get mean, you wont get anywhere. Suits and letters are no longer useful.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk

Quoted and reposted in it's entirely because it is PURE F'ING TRUTH.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Little bites, folks.

An outright repeal of NFA-34 is not politically viable at this time. On the other hand, NFA-34 as currently administered is vulnerable to several challenges.

First, the 8-12 months to process the paperwork cannot be justified by any rational means. It's clearly both a violation of 2A rights, and of Due Process...were I challenging it in court, I'd lead with the Due Process argument. Solution? Move suppressors, at minimum, over to the National Instant Check System. This should reduce most of the backlog.

Second, there's the CLEO signoff. Hit that under Equal Protection. ATF has had some serious proposals to ditch this, as it's an administrative requirement, not law.

Section 922(o), the MG manufacturing ban? This one is tougher to crack - politically. We would need an ally in Congress. My approach would be to come out with a proposal to "discourage MG manufacture with a manufacturing fee of $2,000 per gun" - and repeal 922(o) in the bargain.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Little bites, folks.

An outright repeal of NFA-34 is not politically viable at this time. On the other hand, NFA-34 as currently administered is vulnerable to several challenges.

First, the 8-12 months to process the paperwork cannot be justified by any rational means. It's clearly both a violation of 2A rights, and of Due Process...were I challenging it in court, I'd lead with the Due Process argument. Solution? Move suppressors, at minimum, over to the National Instant Check System. This should reduce most of the backlog.

Second, there's the CLEO signoff. Hit that under Equal Protection. ATF has had some serious proposals to ditch this, as it's an administrative requirement, not law.

Section 922(o), the MG manufacturing ban? This one is tougher to crack - politically. We would need an ally in Congress. My approach would be to come out with a proposal to "discourage MG manufacture with a manufacturing fee of $2,000 per gun" - and repeal 922(o) in the bargain.

Cleo sign off is DOA under substantive due process. But we do not want to conceed a pure 2a challenge until we have a standard of review..

Frankly this is premature... we can still loose in court.. overreaching is how you loose.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Your biggest enemy is the people that already own F/A. No one wants to see their $25,000 MP5 now worth $2,200.

No our biggest enemy is Bloomberg. He wants to collect the MP5 and pay $1.50 .

With out more f/a why should I fight him? Just like the "fudds" semi owners may just walk away from the fight-- maybe as a trade for nationwide ccw? Something for F/A owners to think about ... ;)

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    The 1934 NFA Act does not really bother me...... I don't mind the back ground check & $200.00 tax stamp.

What bothers me is the NFA Act of May 1986 where no more machine guns could be made or sold for civilian use.

This law needs to be repealed so You & Me can buy a REAL M16 for $900.00/$1,000.00 instead of a minimum of $17,000.00 for a non-Colt weapon.

And the process should not take no more than 2/3 months from filing with ATF to Approved Stamp arriving!

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Doubtful it will be repealed.

Better off trying to remove suppressors followed by sbr's from it.

Regarding MG's, eliminating the Hughes amendment is more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom