• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I need to head over to the Silver Eagle when they reopen. I remember when they first opened, they have four figure membership options, including concierge parking and gun cleaning afterward. Of course they opened up after I moved from Ashburn, and it's an hour drive for me to get there. I really wish Shooters Paradise was still open, but some idiot burned the place down, and they never really recovered. There was supposed to be a new range being built in Woodbridge, but it looks like that's not happening.

Jim

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for all the info so far! Looking to do just some basic practice shooting. Looking for place where I can meet some friendly people and learn a new thing or two.

I'm in Germantown and frequent Cresap often; they are only about 25 minutes from me with no traffic (if you are in the southern part of MoCo, it will be obviousely a longer drive).

If you are not looking to join a club and only go shooting once a month or so, you might consider them. They are only open to the public on weekends and this time of year, they can get busy. But, everyone up there are good people. They are VERY safety focused and will take the time to help new shooters with any protocals and rules. They have 25 yard pistol and 100 yard rifle lines. Also, they are pretty inexpensive. They supply targets, but bring your own eyes and ears.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I need to head over to the Silver Eagle when they reopen. I remember when they first opened, they have four figure membership options, including concierge parking and gun cleaning afterward. Of course they opened up after I moved from Ashburn, and it's an hour drive for me to get there. I really wish Shooters Paradise was still open, but some idiot burned the place down, and they never really recovered. There was supposed to be a new range being built in Woodbridge, but it looks like that's not happening.

Jim

Silver Eagle's membership options have changed a bit (when I asked earlier this year). There is now a low-hundreds ($150?) annual membership, and they closed applications for those gold-plated memberships you described.

Dave MP: I can do better than that. Member MDukes is a Silver Eagle marketing person.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Welcome! I live near Gilbert's also. I go to NRA range for a lot cheaper!

MUCHO Ditto!

I live in Silver Spring and I don't mind the 25-minute drive to the NRA Range because:

(1) The range is outstanding - probably one of the best in the Nation

(2) The staff is tops

(3) The cost of bullets is one of the lowest

(4) My way of giving Montgomery County/MD gun rules the big finger:mad54:

(5) One more way of supporting the NRA.:party29:

Porsche

Around...
    Jul 7, 2010
    I live about 5 minutes from gilberts and never go because of ridiculous pricing on lanes and then even more absurd pricing on ammo. I understand if they need to follow certain regulations and such but the prices are not at all affordable for students (they should offer a student discount :D)

So the NRA range is 25 minutes from silver spring? I dont live in DTSS but more on the border of SS, Rockville and Olney but I always feel like the NRA range was closer to 45 minutes away if you dont hit traffic. Maybe i need new directions? :)

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I understand if they need to follow certain regulations and such but the prices are not at all affordable...

I think that the alleged regulations they talk of are fictious. Obviously, the libtard MoCo government is unfriendly toward guns and gun establishments, but do you really think that MoCo would force Gilberts to require that all ammunition be purchased on the premises?

I can go to Atlantic and buy all the ammo I want and drive around with it all day? What would a "no outside ammo" rule accomplish? It's clearly Gilbert's business decision. Other ranges outside of have MoCo require you to buy their ammo, so it's not unheard of.

And the membership requirement, really? Don't see the county caring about that either.

paradox

Oct 20, 2010
    MoCo
    I recently did a Google search because I also had doubts that the reason ammo must be purchased on site is a zoning rule. I found this from the Montgomery County Board of Appeals:

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/council/boa/pdf/opinions/2006/s-2184.pdf

The Board’s decision granting the special exception notes that the Petitioner “envisioned the sale of firearms and ammunition.” While the Board’s decision recognized that the on-site sale of ammunition was a safety measure necessary to ensure that only certain types of ammunition were used on the premises, it expressed concern “about the proposed sale of firearms since the facility, under the [zoning] ordinance, must be ‘noncommercial.’”

What it sounds like is that Gilbert actually requested being able to sell ammo on site as a safety measure (to control what is being used at the range; not to prevent people from doing whatever they want outside the range) and then when the zoning commission granted the permit they accepted the "safety" argument and made it part of the conditions of the grant that the only ammo to be used there is ammo sold on site.

So while it may be true that the zoning grant currently requires that the ammo used at the range be bought at the range it seems that the idea of making this a requirement did not originate with MoCo laws or MD laws but with Gilbert himself.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the original 1995 filings or minutes or anything like that. I'm pretty sure those are available to the public but they may not have been digitized. At any rate, if somebody has legal evidence about this question, I'd like to see it. I'm genuinely curious.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The AGC has 100 lanes on the rifle range. A lot more then 30 or more. You almost can always get a lane to shoot unless an event is going on that day.

damifinow Fish

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I think that the alleged regulations they talk of are fictious. Obviously, the libtard MoCo government is unfriendly toward guns and gun establishments, but do you really think that MoCo would force Gilberts to require that all ammunition be purchased on the premises?

I can go to Atlantic and buy all the ammo I want and drive around with it all day? What would a "no outside ammo" rule accomplish? It's clearly Gilbert's business decision. Other ranges outside of have MoCo require you to buy their ammo, so it's not unheard of.

And the membership requirement, really? Don't see the county caring about that either.

My memory is hazy, but Gilberts had valid explanations for the ammo and membership policy back when I asked repeatedly about them.

The "membership" question is easy. The requirement seems to be in the MoCO Zoning Code: (MoCO Code gateway)
    Zoning Ordinance Sec. 59-G-2.50. Rifle or pistol ranges, indoor.

An indoor, noncommercial rifle or pistol range may be allowed; provided, that such range is constructed in such a manner as to eliminate all danger to persons or property from flying projectiles. Nothing in this section shall be construed to relieve the appellant from compliance with chapter 57, "Weapons," of the County Code, as amended.

Private club: An incorporated or unincorporated association for civic, social, cultural, religious, literary, political, recreational or like activities, operated for the benefit of its members and not open to the general public. A private club is not a commercial recreational establishment.

The ammo sale reg is harder to take seriously because it is so subtle. It is embedded in the MoCO Code section on general firearms regs (Sec. 57)
    Sec. 57-1. Definitions.
    Sporting use: "Sporting use" of a firearm and ammunition means hunting or target shooting in compliance with all federal, State, and local laws. Sporting use includes:

(a) participation in a managed hunt sponsored by a government agency; and

(b) the sale or other transfer of ammunition by a sporting club for immediate, on-site use at the club.

Combined with
    Sec. 57-11. Firearms in or near places of public assembly.

(a) A person must not sell, transfer, possess, or transport a handgun, rifle, or shotgun, or ammunition for these firearms, in or within 100 yards of a place of public assembly.

(b) This section does not:

(1) prohibit the teaching of firearms safety or other educational or sporting use in the areas described in subsection (a) (...);

Gilbert's is located somewhat close to the Red Gate Golf Course and a section of Crabbs Branch park. It could be that the range is within that anti-gun "safety zone" due to a small corner of the golf course jutting out towards Gilbert's. During one visit a guy behind the counter said that the zoning officials wrote the ammo policy into some sort of contract with the range. So the reason for the ammo policy is not cut and dry. Only Mr. Gilbert can explain the deal.

ETA: Paradox has beat me to it on the ammo deal.

Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Silver Eagle's membership options have changed a bit (when I asked earlier this year). There is now a low-hundreds ($150?) annual membership, and they closed applications for those gold-plated memberships you described.

Dave MP: I can do better than that. Member MDukes is a Silver Eagle marketing person.

Thanks for the updates guys! Melissa Dukes is indeed the person to contack at SEG; she is approachable & can explain current memberships. AND - SEG allows hourly shooting opportunities at prices comparable to Blue Ridge and NRA. Like NRA, SEG also has a 50 yard range and all SEG ranges are rifle-approved up to 50 BMG. And it was recently renovated/re-configured too! As usual, there is a full service pro shop featuring sales, Class III sales, rental of same (including a 249 belt fed), ammo, knives, clothes etc.

RE Shooters: after Coastal bought Shooters from Phil, they replaced the membrane over the backstop material. This was a mistake. Subsequently, someone is suspected of firing tracers into the material. He is still being sought for this. Due to the membrane, the whole range burned, rear wall collapsed, air handlers came right through the ceiling, etc. That location never reopened and the inventory was all sold off (causing many issues along the way). A totally different outfit, the proposed "Shooters Range" at Marumsco Plaza was on track for construction, but the new owner divorced & died shortly thereafter. Project died with him AFAIK. I used to run the USPSA shoots at SEG and Shooters. Kids & work got in thje way; there is still monthly IDPA at SEG.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I live about 5 minutes from gilberts and never go because of ridiculous pricing on lanes and then even more absurd pricing on ammo. I understand if they need to follow certain regulations and such but the prices are not at all affordable for students (they should offer a student discount :D)

So the NRA range is 25 minutes from silver spring? I dont live in DTSS but more on the border of SS, Rockville and Olney but I always feel like the NRA range was closer to 45 minutes away if you dont hit traffic. Maybe i need new directions? :)

If you live between R-ville, SS and Olney then 45 minutes is probably right. The 25 minute estimation was for central SS. The only way to go to the NRA is 495 to 66 West to 50 East 2 blocks left on Waples Mill Rd. NRA is about 4 blocks down on the right just before the bridge over 66. The range and free underground parking is down the parking lot at the rear of the building.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My memory is hazy, but Gilberts had valid explanations for the ammo and membership policy back when I asked repeatedly about them.

The "membership" question is easy. The requirement seems to be in the MoCO Zoning Code: (MoCO Code gateway)

The ammo sale reg is harder to take seriously because it is so subtle. It is embedded in the MoCO Code section on general firearms regs (Sec. 57)

Combined with

Gilbert's is located somewhat close to the Red Gate Golf Course and a section of Crabbs Branch park. It could be that the range is within that anti-gun "safety zone" due to a small corner of the golf course jutting out towards Gilbert's. During one visit a guy behind the counter said that the zoning officials wrote the ammo policy into some sort of contract with the range. So the reason for the ammo policy is not cut and dry. Only Mr. Gilbert can explain the deal.

ETA: Paradox has beat me to it on the ammo deal.
    I'm ok with Gilbert's selling ammo. It's their ridiculous prices that was the deal breaker for me. I have no issue if they want to make a modest profit but the prices are just sheer greed IMO. Dick Gilbert should try to figure out whether the ridiculous prices are worth it in terms of lost business. The NRA Range ammo prices are very reasonable IMO.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Personally, I find the range fees acceptable, given that it's MoCo real estate. The only reason why I stopped going there after my monthly membership expired is the ammo policy. Ridiculous prices aside, the policy also keeps people from using reloads and less popular calibers.

paradox

Oct 20, 2010
    MoCo
    The "membership" question is easy.

Ah, I forgot to comment on that one... but now I don't have to because you nailed it. :D

Now as for the ammo requirement... Let me cite again the definition of "Sporting use" (without font styling, sorry):

Sec. 57-1. Definitions.
    Sporting use: "Sporting use" of a firearm and ammunition means hunting or target shooting in compliance with all federal, State, and local laws. Sporting use includes:

(a) participation in a managed hunt sponsored by a government agency; and

(b) the sale or other transfer of ammunition by a sporting club for immediate, on-site use at the club.

The way I read this is that "Sporting use" means "hunting or target shooting". So as soon as you have target shooting, you have "sporting use." Ok, so it has to be done according to the law. In addition, it may involve a) or b). What this definition does is prevent someone from claiming that selling ammo at a club is not a "sporting use" but it does not require the club to sell ammo.

So the other section, Sec. 57-11, applies whether or not the club sells ammo. If you have target shooting (with or without the sale of ammo), that is sporting use and 57-11 applies.

Or did I misunderstand what you saying, K-Romulus?

During one visit a guy behind the counter said that the zoning officials wrote the ammo policy into some sort of contract with the range. So the reason for the ammo policy is not cut and dry. Only Mr. Gilbert can explain the deal.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing: the ammo policy is in the zoning agreement. However, I still see nothing in the law which forced the zoning board to put this in the agreement.

I'd really like to see the original zoning documentation, which I think is accessible to the public but (from what I can tell) requires a trip to the county offices.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Ah, I forgot to comment on that one... but now I don't have to because you nailed it. :D

Now as for the ammo requirement... Let me cite again the definition of "Sporting use" (without font styling, sorry):

The way I read this is that "Sporting use" means "hunting or target shooting". So as soon as you have target shooting, you have "sporting use." Ok, so it has to be done according to the law. In addition, it may involve a) or b). What this definition does is prevent someone from claiming that selling ammo at a club is not a "sporting use" but it does not require the club to sell ammo.

So the other section, Sec. 57-11, applies whether or not the club sells ammo. If you have target shooting (with or without the sale of ammo), that is sporting use and 57-11 applies.

Or did I misunderstand what you saying, K-Romulus?
    .. ..

No, your interpretation is right. The only twist is that the applicable "local law" may include that "safety zone" nonsense where MoCO bars all possession within 100 yards of certain places. I read the sporting use definition to exempt ammo sales at a club that may be close to a park or something. It seems like a strange example to include in the code, but that may be a holdover from MoCO's 1980's era when it tried to regulate ammo sales.

Porsche

Around...
    Jul 7, 2010
    I'm ok with Gilbert's selling ammo. It's their ridiculous prices that was the deal breaker for me. I have no issue if they want to make a modest profit but the prices are just sheer greed IMO. Dick Gilbert should try to figure out whether the ridiculous prices are worth it in terms of lost business. The NRA Range ammo prices are very reasonable IMO.

Dick Gilberts name is very fitting. Dick.

Their policies are ludicrous and backwards. I dont see why they dont have a student discount. They do have a discount for EMT, Fire, Police and Military but when my friend who is an EMT-b for BBC rescue squad came in they told him that he doesnt qualify for the EMT discount because hes volunteer. certification is certification and who gives a shit if you get paid to do your job or not. Now dont take this the wrong way because i know that paid first responders work very hard but I think the discount should ESPECIALLY apply to volunteers who get no compensation for their hard work. If he can get a glock discount why not one at the range.

They could also keep within the laws by creating a much more affordable daily "membership" rate and not raping us with $35 .45acp ammo. I used to go when the guys were cool and would let you bring stuff in and hook you up with the weekly membership prices but ALAS they no longer work there.

/rant

does ted nugent still work there?:lol2: i know someone knows who im talking about

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    I wish we could live in a County that had free everything...Free ranges, free gunsmithing, and better yet free guns.:rolleyes:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Dick Gilberts name is very fitting. Dick.

Their policies are ludicrous and backwards. I dont see why they dont have a student discount. They do have a discount for EMT, Fire, Police and Military but when my friend who is an EMT-b for BBC rescue squad came in they told him that he doesnt qualify for the EMT discount because hes volunteer. certification is certification and who gives a shit if you get paid to do your job or not. Now dont take this the wrong way because i know that paid first responders work very hard but I think the discount should ESPECIALLY apply to volunteers who get no compensation for their hard work. If he can get a glock discount why not one at the range.

They could also keep within the laws by creating a much more affordable daily "membership" rate and not raping us with $35 .45acp ammo. I used to go when the guys were cool and would let you bring stuff in and hook you up with the weekly membership prices but ALAS they no longer work there.

/rant

does ted nugent still work there?:lol2: i know someone knows who im talking about

His real name is Richard. I won't criticize him for his business decisions. I just vote with my wallet and go to the NRA range or Izaac Walton

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom