• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    +1. For that price I would rather buy a WASR plus a bunch of ammo/mags.

Say what you want about WASR's but at least they are built in an actual AK arsenal that has been building them for 51 years for their military and uses new hammer forged chrome-lined barrels of known quality. Even after their quality took a nose dive after their 1983 purges it is still better than a lot of the crap American builders are coming out with today. The only reason I sold mine was because I came to find out I did not like underfolders at least on a 7.62x39 rifle since shooting it sucked with that stock for me.

I give the well-known domestic boutique assemblers a pass (Krebs, etc.) because they care but the others I refuse to give them my time or energy.

My first AK was a Cugir assembled WASR, not the ones that century pieced together but made and manufactured at cugir and imported only the conversion to double stack magazines.

Still have that gun, it has never failed me. In thousands of rounds the only failures I've had were from a steel magazine that was dented so the follower could not rise past a certain point in the body. The machining in the cam channel for the bolt looks crude, but functions 100%. I thought that was shoddy workmanship until I saw an arsenal that had visible machine marks of the same type, if of slightly smoother affect.

WASRs get shit on too much.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I remember very well being told my AK's were "Chinese crap". They always shut up after I threw it in the mud, stomped on it and proceeded to empty the magazine though. Ah, the '80s.....when you could buy the best AKs ever built for 300 bucks. Some of the best purchases I ever made:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Chinese AK are some of the best make nowadays. I wouldn't discount Chinese weaponry made in this day and age. Now, Chinese electronic and children toys-well, keep buying Walmart shit and make them the top economy in the world.

Yup, the early ones were great, good steel, good triggers, reasonable finish.

Towards the end they got rough but ran. Shame our gov wont let us have em.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Yup, the early ones were great, good steel, good triggers, reasonable finish.

Towards the end they got rough but ran. Shame our gov wont let us have em.

Ironic, huh, that we get all the dangerous lead toys, dog food, and other crap here no problem but the one thing they do well that is of actual quality, their guns, are banned because we didn't like what they were doing as an excuse.

We can still get their shotguns though. The Catamount Fury is a crap-shoot wannabe-Saiga shotgun that blows but at least their pump guns are better than the current Remington's!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I *really* miss those "crappy Chinese" rifles!

Chinese AK are some of the best make nowadays. I wouldn't discount Chinese weaponry made in this day and age. Now, Chinese electronic and children toys-well, keep buying Walmart shit and make them the top economy in the world.

I was just joshing! For a while there, Chinese AKs didn't get much respect... people claimed they were made from pot metal and the bolts would explode. All kinds of silliness. Gun shops were practically giving them away.

Now, with hindsight and ban decades old... people recognize them for what they are.

I remember very well being told my AK's were "Chinese crap". They always shut up after I threw it in the mud, stomped on it and proceeded to empty the magazine though. Ah, the '80s.....when you could buy the best AKs ever built for 300 bucks.

Those Poly sidefolders are the bomb. Mine is beaten up, so I don't mind shooting it. I never got around to picking up a Legend... oh well...

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Ironic, huh, that we get all the dangerous lead toys, dog food, and other crap here no problem but the one thing they do well that is of actual quality, their guns, are banned because we didn't like what they were doing as an excuse.

We can still get their shotguns though. The Catamount Fury is a crap-shoot wannabe-Saiga shotgun that blows but at least their pump guns are better than the current Remington's!

So the Catamount is a Chinese Saiga? Good to know.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    So the Catamount is a Chinese Saiga? Good to know.

I say that in a bad way.

Quality is garbage, reliability on them is garbage, they use proprietary parts not interchangeable at all with the Saiga, and there is zero aftermarket support which means what you get is all you are getting.

You are better off just looking for what is left of the Saiga's.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yea, wish wish I hadn't had to sell my NIB stamped Polytech last summer. Sure to have held it's value.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I say that in a bad way.

Quality is garbage, reliability on them is garbage, they use proprietary parts not interchangeable at all with the Saiga, and there is zero aftermarket support which means what you get is all you are getting.

You are better off just looking for what is left of the Saiga's.

I think that will change. The chicoms copy everything, and now that the Russians have been sanctioned theirs a gap to be filled

Sirex