• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I can say the BPCR forums are not kind to IAB rifles. I personally would stay away from it.
    IAB stands for .....Its Always Broken. Everyone say to buy a pendersoli before this rifle. They tend to have oversized bores and no leads in the chamber is what read.
    Some have said soft steel and issues with shooting smokeless.
    Myself I have never had my hands on one. But I tend to believe some of the guys that have posted about it. JMHO
    There is a reason its only 550 bucks.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Jim, do you know that that rifle is a Bpack Powder or a BP Subsitute Powder only rifle ?.
    Here is a excert from the owners manual I found.

CARTRIDGES The 1874 Sharps rifle or carbine is available in several calibers. You will find the caliber for which your rifle is chamber stamped on the barrel near the rear sight. YOU SHOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO FIRE A CARTRIDGE IN YOUR RIFLE THAT IS NOT THE SAME CALIBER AS STAMPED ON THE BARREL... Your 1874 Sharps rifle or carbine is a modern copy of a black powder firearm and is intended to use cartridges loaded with black powder, Pyrodex, or an approved black powder substitute. Factory loaded cartridges can be used provided they are loaded to approximate black powder pressures. You should verify with the cartridge manufacturer that his cartridges do not exceed black powder pressures

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you want to try .45-70 get a single shot T/C Contender or Encore with a barrel in that caliber it wont cost much more. You can hand load them to even higher pressures of modern smokeless powder loads. The Contender with a pistol length .45-70 barrel is a hoot to shoot and separates the men from the boys. It wont be much more than that gun and you can change barrels when you want a different caliber or want to change from a rifle to a handgun.

If you want a .45-70 for reenactment or cowboy action then save until you can buy a quality reproduction and it will gain value over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom