• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    What is the average time between your check being cashed and going pending?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    fnfalsar48 said:
    I sent in 3 and the check was cashed 11/08/2011 How much longer do you think? Years ago it only took 2-3 months

By the end of next month.

Those were the good old days....

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Form 1
    Trust
    SBR
    Mailed: 10/3/11
    Pending: 10/21/11
    Approved: 4/23/12
    Received: ~5/1/12 expected
    ~210 days from start to finish
    This follows the linear trend exactly as discussed on NFATracker.

Jason

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I dont get it though. Not complaining, the process is what the process is. If you mind the wait dont get into NFA. But, that being said, why does it take so long? For Form 3 transfers it is a couple of weeks or so. For 5320.20's it is a week or two, sometimes faster. But, for Form 1s and Form 4s it is 6 months and it all goes through the same office, correct? Just curious why. I heard that they are down to only 3 or 4 examiners now but are budgeted for more. Other than Gov't bureaucracy, why not get more examiners in? They could process more and make more money and if they are already budgeted for the examiners then there is no extra cost involved.

Just curious folks, again not complaining.

Dave

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I dont get it though. Not complaining, the process is what the process is. If you mind the wait dont get into NFA. But, that being said, why does it take so long? For Form 3 transfers it is a couple of weeks or so. For 5320.20's it is a week or two, sometimes faster. But, for Form 1s and Form 4s it is 6 months and it all goes through the same office, correct? Just curious why. I heard that they are down to only 3 or 4 examiners now but are budgeted for more. Other than Gov't bureaucracy, why not get more examiners in? They could process more and make more money and if they are already budgeted for the examiners then there is no extra cost involved.

Just curious folks, again not complaining.

Dave

From what I have heard there is a hiring freeze in place at the NFA section of the ATF. So even if they are budgeted for more examiners the freeze prevents them from hiring them. It doesnt make sense at all.

Last edited:

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    From what I have heard there is a highering freeze in place at the NFA section of the ATF. So even if they are budgeted for more examiners the freeze prevents them from highering them. It doesnt make sense at all.

The hiring freeze doesn't stop them from pulling a couple people off their Mexican drug cartel gun smuggling operations to lend a hand. :innocent0

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    FWIW, I called today to check the status of my form 4, I promised myself I wasn't goin to call. But anyway...

Forms mailed on 09/27
    Pending 10/12

Today's update, pending as of 10/12, not the answer I had hoped for.

7 months since the forms were dropped in the mail, oh well, I'll just forget about it for a bit.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    FWIW, I called today to check the status of my form 4, I promised myself I wasn't goin to call. But anyway...

Forms mailed on 09/27
    Pending 10/12

Today's update, pending as of 10/12, not the answer I had hoped for.

7 months since the forms were dropped in the mail, oh well, I'll just forget about it for a bit.

:confused: You should have already been approved with a 10/12 pending date. Should have happened early last week. You must have pissed off Dana with one of your posts.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The hiring freeze doesn't stop them from pulling a couple people off their Mexican drug cartel gun smuggling operations to lend a hand. :innocent0

Makes you wonder about all the wasted potential, lol.

Also, I didn't notice before, but my phone auto typed a word that doesn't even exist, "highering". Makes you wonder, lol.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Mailed 4 and 5 off today. Not really expecting to see them until 2013 at this rate. My wife is always a little amused that I'm willing to keep pushing money into the black hole that is the BATFE... I keep responding that if I wait, it's going to be even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom