• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TODAY

I can remember coming back to the U.S., at age nine, and going hunting on my grandfather's farm in SOMD. There was a place about a mile and a half from his farm that was sort of a small country store in the front, and a small watering hole for beer drinkers in the back (with the then-ubiquitous nickle slot machines). I'd walk up the highway, carrying my rifle, and plunk down 35 cents for a box of 50 .22LR cartridges (that was expensive, because I'd gotten them from the PX for a quarter). Then I'd cut back into the woods and hunt my way back to my grandfather's farm through neighboring properties.

So many things have changed in Maryland since then. Can you imagine what would happen now if a 9 year old walked down a public road alone, carrying a rifle?

Jeeessshhh....now...they are getting kicked out of school for wearing a NRA tee shirt!!!! Just absolutely ridiculous. :sad20:
    For a 9 y/o carrying a rifle..mmmmm probably S.W.A.T. would be called out to deal with him :D

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    couple pics from earlier

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
      unnamed (1).jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 524
    • unnamed (3).jpg
      unnamed (3).jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 508
    • unnamed (5).jpg
      unnamed (5).jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 511
    • unnamed (12).jpg
      unnamed (12).jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 515

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Took my SC 1903A3 to the AGC.

It was wet and muddy but worth the effort with good friends. 100 yards

Attachments

• P1010010.JPG
      P1010010.JPG
      167 KB · Views: 477

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    That's about the limit, I'd think, for a Garand operating rod. I sure wouldn't go over that.

I've been loading per the Hornady manual for the Garand. Also read a lot. I'm not anywhere near max. As an aside, the Hornady manual is one of the few that have a section dedicated to the Garand. I want to say that the max charge is like 46.5 grains but I don't have it in front of me.

Last edited:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The Hornady manual is very reliable. I just didn't want you to accidentally bump over the limit for a Garand by loading to commercial 30-06 specs.

When are we going hog hunting? :-)

Thanks, but I've been very careful and done lots of research. I considered buying one of those aftermarket gas plugs, but chose to rely on the Hornady manual and stay on the low side. I will say that my Garand did not like the 45.5 grain load that I worked up. It failed to eject two cases and mangled the cases when they got stuck in the action. I tried 44 grains, 44.5 grains, 45 grains and 45.5 grains. Out of all, the rifle liked the 45 grain load the best, followed closely by the 44.5 grain loan. I'm hunting the second week of September. Sorry for the OT deviation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom