• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wequay

May 16, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    I find a lot of forums listings on this exact topic, but nothing recent. The problem is that some of the solutions people proposed years ago are no longer available. I figured I would report what I have found and see what other solutions others have come up with.

I want to remove the grenade launcher off of my Yugo SKS and replace it with something more functional like a flash hider or muzzle brake (preferred). The softer I can make the kick (already super light) the better. I want to make it a cheap-ammo-eating training rifle for the kids/wife.

I'd prefer to get a threaded muzzle break to install as the original did. However, I am open to hearing other solutions that have worked well for others.

1) Tapco had a yugo muzzle brake that has been discontinued. It kept the look of the original yugo and can still be found on ebay for about $75.

2) Rick Miller Muzzle Brakes for the yugo seemed to be a really good solution a few years ago. But Rick appears to have relocated from Oregon to Georgia a few years ago and disappeared off the web. If anyone knows where he opened up shop, I'd love to get a replacement muzzle brake like I have seen from him.

3) CNCWarriors has one solution that would work on a Yugo SKS. They have a VZ58 muzzle brake that mimics the typical AK slanted muzzle brake. It fits the 14x1 RH thread of the Yugo SKS barrel.

4) CNCWarriors also has an adapter that converts the 14x1 RH to a 24x1.5 RH thread. Then that could be mated to a Bulgarian Brake that CNCWarriors also sells.

From what I have been reading, the VZ58 has the same 14x1 RH twist thread on the barrel. So there might be some options there.

I look forward to reading about solutions others have come up with. I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel. Thanks.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You mean one of these?? I just love this weapon, it's so beautiful. I almost like just getting it out and looking at it as I do shooting it. I would go with the muzzle brake if you want to give it a softer recoil.

SKS-M59-66A1-rifle-grenade-launcher.JPG

wequay

May 16, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    If it were a excellent condition rifle with all matching serial numbers, I would not modify it because of it's value.

But my Yugo is in good condition with matching serial numbers where it counts (like the receiver and bolt). Mine was a soldiers weapon (wear and tear, dirt in the butt pad screw holes) and has had some good use. Just want to make a few updates and keep using it.

Not scared to change it, just want it to be a solid change that is safe and functional.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    You may not get a lot of help here. This particular sub-forum is really aimed at people who shoot and collect arms in their original condition.

Please don't take any offense, but this probably belongs in "Rifles".
    So does Rumnhammer's rather spectacular Mosin mod. Nice, but it's not C&R.

Your particular mod seems pretty innocuous to me, and is reversaible (big plus), usually. However I personally have never looked into brakes for Yugo SKS's, so I can't help there.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    just remember that if you modify it, you must also get enough US parts to comply with the 922r regs. removing the grenade launcher isnt enough to make it considered modified, but adding a new flash suppressor or muzzle break might, im not sure.

it looks like you've already got a number of options though, im not sure there are many more, cause like you say, many of the parts are no longer made.

most SKS modding was being done back when you could buy a beater for under $100, nowadays any decent SKS is going for close to $400.

wequay

May 16, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    Admin,

Based on monsternav's recommendation, can this thread be moved to "Rifles"? Or do I need to start the thread over again in that sub-forum? Thank you.

wequay

May 16, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    I am going with the AK style muzzle brake and am actually going to go full bullpup with this yugo. I have the spare parts and will ship them to whoever is willing to pay shipping. I don't foresee me putting the yugo back to its original configuration.

Stock is in good condition with small chip near the trigger opening. Front post and site, grenade launcher (a little messed up from removal process), fixed 10 round mag, bayonet with spring/locking handle (not in picture). Also included are the pouch, sling, oil bottle with pouch and weighted rope.

Shoot me a pm if you are interested with your zip code and ill get you shipping info. Thanks for helping me clean out my safe and for finding a good home for these parts.

Https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhmj8ftlq4hoh0t/Photo Mar 16, 3 26 10 PM.jpg

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I am going with the AK style muzzle brake and am actually going to go full bullpup with this yugo. I have the spare parts and will ship them to whoever is willing to pay shipping. I don't foresee me putting the yugo back to its original configuration.

Stock is in good condition with small chip near the trigger opening. Front post and site, grenade launcher (a little messed up from removal process), fixed 10 round mag, bayonet with spring/locking handle (not in picture). Also included are the pouch, sling, oil bottle with pouch and weighted rope.

Shoot me a pm if you are interested with your zip code and ill get you shipping info. Thanks for helping me clean out my safe and for finding a good home for these parts.

Https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhmj8ftlq4hoh0t/Photo Mar 16, 3 26 10 PM.jpg

pm incoming..

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Props to our noobie! We touched base midweek and parts showed up yesterday.. Very cool of our new member. Thanks again!

How about Pics of your project?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I want to remove the grenade launcher off of my Yugo SKS and replace it with something more functional like a flash hider or muzzle brake (preferred). The softer I can make the kick (already super light) the better. I want to make it a cheap-ammo-eating training rifle for the kids/wife.

Don't expect to get much enthusiasm here for doing a modification of that sort. This is a collectors' group, and the more serious collectors here are all about originality.

Some people think that C&R means "old, cheap, military guns" and you might as well do what you want to/with them. It's your rifle, and you can do as you wish, but that's not how most of us here roll. I just wanted to explain why you are likely to get responses like this one:

It's a nice rifle. Don't screw it up by doing something to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom