• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So I have the option to buy a Winchester 97, 12 ga in PERFECT condition, for a pretty decent price. I've seen the pics and the guy is a buddy of mine. The gun has a mirror finish it's so damn blue :)

My only problem is that I want an 1897 so bad that I'd cut down the long barrel, have it rebeaded, and give it some wear for that "trench gun" look. I've wanted one of these for awhile but I don't want to ruin the guns value if this is going to be a collector piece later on.........what say you??

Snag it and spend the couple bucks?

or.........

Wait and just get an 1897?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don't think I'd cut that barrel. I wonder if you can find a replacement barrel that you could tinker with while preserving the original. Is it a takedown model?
    My Father has an old Model 97 that some idiot cut the barrel off , crooked as hell!. Several years ago I shortened it a little bit, just enough to make it square, and drilled and tapped a hole for a front sight bead. It looks a little bit better now but I wished it still had the original unmolested barrel

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I don't think I'd cut that barrel. I wonder if you can find a replacement barrel that you could tinker with while preserving the original. Is it a takedown model?
    My Father has an old Model 97 that some idiot cut the barrel off , crooked as hell!. Several years ago I shortened it a little bit, just enough to make it square, and drilled and tapped a hole for a front sight bead. It looks a little bit better now but I wished it still had the original unmolested barrel

I don't believe it's the TD model. What do you think the value will be in a couple years and when I saw PERFECT condition keep in mind I mean like still in the box. I have the option to snag it..........between us girls......for around 400

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Wow, I would have to guess that it's got to be worth at least twice that, all day long. I think I would buy it even if I had to sell a kidney first!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Wow, I would have to guess that it's got to be worth at least twice that, all day long. I think I would buy it even if I had to sell a kidney first!

The ones online are all over the place but can't hold a candle to this one visually.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    They aint making any new ones either!
    I've always loved the 97, there's just something about one that screams "indestructible!"

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    He's got a really nice wood stocked 1100 thats is good condition (very minor dings on the stock) that hes looking to sell $525

also 3-4 hunting rifles in odd calibers except for the weatherby mark v 300 win mag......the rest are in .280 and .264

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Don't hesitate, buy it. Can you send me any specifics on the 1100? Model, barrel length, choke, rib etc. Thanks

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    At that price buy it. I saw a 97 at an IP back in April/May and seem to remember it was priced about $800. Not sure exactly what model but it was in very good condition, but your description seems to be even better. I would have to say get this one and then keep on the lookout for a less preserved 97 to do a "trench gun" treatment on.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I have one I picked up about 3 yrs ago from Branchy's in Laurel, DE for $450.00. The one you described sounds better than mine, which had been reblued and had an aftermarket replacement buttstock. I bought it for Cowboy Action shooting, so I wasn't overly concerned about the replacement stock. It came with loooong barrel which isn't optimal for cowboy, but I haven't been able to bring myself to chop it down.

My advice would be "go for it" now while it's available. Then you can decide later whether to convert it to trench-gun configuration. That's the issue with used guns in general. Unless it's something as common as a Remington 870, you need to buy it when you can get it at an affordable price, because you may not find another like it for quite a while.

Joe

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Couldn't go wrong with that price. I agree don't cut it. I had a similar situation with my grandfathers remington model 10. I wanted to cut that barrel and replicate the riot model so bad. I finally decided to get an entire donor gun and take the entire front end off of that one and make it the riot style so I could interchange them. It helps that the Remington 10 is a takedown gun but deffently find another barrel to cut down.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    Don't cut it. I wanted a Trench gun real bad so I waited and found an 1897 that had already been cut down and was in good condition. I added the heat shield to that and all was good in the world. My conscience couldn't take cutting a perfectly good barrel. There are barrels to be found on GB. Also, without the heat shield it's a "riot gun." If you add the heat shield, the bead is already incorporated into it, no need to add one.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    An original 97 riot shotgun was for sale at Green Top a few months ago, going for $800. Not minty fresh, either. I'd suggest getting that shotgun anyway, and finding a repro 97 trench gun, which are still around.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The only thing that concerns me is that it is minty blue. These guns have not been made since the mid 5o's and usually saw a lot of hard use. If it has been reblued it devalues it by quite a bit. 400 would be a steal if original.
    Pic of mine with original blue, barrel turning to brown, gun all original.

Attachments

• DSCN0823.jpg
      DSCN0823.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 173

Blue Fins

Aug 23, 2011
    Personally, I would snag it and then go buy a beater so you can do what you want to it without the worries. You can never have too many guns.
    Just my opinion for what that's worth.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom