• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Anybody know anything about these pistols? It seems they've been discontinued for some years and didn't cost much to begin with, and don't have much of a reputation.

Well my father in law has one and brought it to me to fix it (broken hammer spring). Seems like parts for these are few and far between. Since the designer happens to be the owner of KelTec would they supply parts?

From what I can tell, the hammer spring is a very common problem. It's a clock type spring, would it be possible to have one made cost effectively?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    They are a true oddball. The previous model, the P10 loaded from the top into an internal magazine in the grip. The P12 has a removable mag like any other semi auto.

As far as having any work done to it, or looking for parts, you might be better off getting another one. Ray's Gun Shop in Newport, NC has one with 2 magazines for $199. (Oddly, I know the previous owner of it....he loved the little thing.)

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I just don't think it's worth buying another one. If that's the case, a Kel Tec will be the way to go. But you can bet that if I find some of those springs, I'll buy several. With that kind of a known problem with the springs I dot think I could ever really trust it for self defense unless I could find aftermarket springs from a different manufacturer.

Sandy

Feb 21, 2013
    Does anyone have the specs for the hammer spring for the p10, specifically the spring tension and the material it is made of?

Sandy

Feb 21, 2013
    Thanks I have kocated a company in nashville that may be able to make them if I can get the specs

Oriolesfan93p

Jan 5, 2013
    Richardson, TX
    My mom has one, she bought it off my cousin a former Tenn. police officer, he used it as his backup weapon. He liked it, she doesn't because it happens to push against a spot on her thumb joint when it fires. She now uses a Bersa Thunder.

When showing the gun to my mom my cousin noticed a problem with a holding pin not staying in place and had to send it off to a gunsmith first. He had tried to contact Keltec about it but they said absolutely NO when asked if they sold parts. They bought the company but don't have any interest in selling parts for the Grendel.

He got it fixed for $25 because the gunsmith said the pin wasn't broken and didn't charge for the part, just swapped it with another that was slightly longer and a better fit. So $25 and shipping fixed it. This may be something that is as simple as finding the right person who has a spring. Good luck, my cousin liked the gun while he had it fwiw.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They bought the company but don't have any interest in selling parts for the Grendel.

This is not correct; Kel Tec didn't buy Grendel, Grendel went completely out of business. Some time later the same guy started Kel Tec as a separate company ... Grendel was already gone by then, there was nothing to "buy".

I believe the spring is the Achilles heel of these guns ... once its broke, its junk. I don't think Jersey Small Arms or anyone else has any replacement springs.

I had my P-10 for sale here but no interest; ditto on the Kel Tec Owners' site. Headed to Gunbroker.com with all its original factory goodies next week.

Oriolesfan93p

Jan 5, 2013
    Richardson, TX
    This is not correct; Kel Tec didn't buy Grendel, Grendel went completely out of business. Some time later the same guy started Kel Tec as a separate company ... Grendel was already gone by then, there was nothing to "buy".

I'll give you that, I was passing info that my cousin dug up. Maybe that was just what he thought because it was the same guy but he said. I apologize for giving out bad info. I do know that I was accurate that he called them up and they wanted nothing to do with helping him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom