• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Last thing I need to do in my effort to raise the tier level of my RRA (;)) is to swap out the stock.

Anyone have any strong feelings on the CTR, ACS or UBR stocks?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I have a spare CTR if you want to try it out. I like them, and they won't break the bank.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    ACS is nice, the one thing that disappointed me was the sling QD sockets are sold seperately and they are a bolt on item.

I stuck with the LMT SOPMOD's and CTR's that has the QD studs molded into it.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    ACS is nice, the one thing that disappointed me was the sling QD sockets are sold seperately and they are a bolt on item.

Well, that sucks.....wouldn't hurt to include those for a couple bucks more.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    CTR or UBR. Both are awesome stocks. If you wanna save a few $$ go for the CTR. You will NOT be disappointed. I have already decided to put a CTR on my 22lr dedicated upper build. I have a UBR on my Noveske and a CTR on my 7.62x39 build.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Well, that sucks.....wouldn't hurt to include those for a couple bucks more.

Plus they can only be mounted on one side or the other. Not set up for ambi use.

My brother in law has one on his rifle, when it arrived we were both really disappointed with MagPul. For that type of stock the LMT is the best bet. Other wise go with the CTR

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I love my ACS. I have a UBR for my spr build (got it from the going green sale substancially reduced).

I haven't installed mine yet but russ says they are very heavy. good thing the SPR is a prone/bench rifle for the most part....

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Plus they can only be mounted on one side or the other. Not set up for ambi use.

My brother in law has one on his rifle, when it arrived we were both really disappointed with MagPul. For that type of stock the LMT is the best bet. Other wise go with the CTR

Gotcha.

Kinda disappointing some so simple can be left off.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    CTR- if you want lighter weight and don't care about cheek weld real estate.

UBR- I've found that the UBR shines on a SBR. It adds weight to the rear and makes an SBR a better balanced platform IMO.

ACS- the reason a lot of guys have taken to this stock is that it is cheaper than a LMT SOPMOD with similar cheek weld real estate and a good hand hold for prone shooting off a bipod. Others have mentioned the flush cup shortfalls. Additionally, I found that it has a looser fit on MILSPEC receiver extensions.

Vltor IMOD- good stock, but still not facial hair friendly.

SOPMOD- great stock. Best in terms of tightness IMO. Newer models have ambi flush cups. Can't access battery compartments w/o removing the stock from the receiver extension. USSOCOM SOPMOD item. Expensive, but still my favorite.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thanks fellas.

The facial hair thing is important too.....

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    The MOE and CTR stocks are very similar, I have both and would not pay more for the CTR. The differences are really not noticeable unless you need the sling position.

The UBR weighs a good bit more than an MOE/CTR, so keep that in mind if you are looking to stay light. If an extra pound of weight is not an issue, the UBR is nice.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    Norton, I've got a CTR, ACS, and UBR and you are more than welcome to meet me at a range sometime and try my lowers out on your upper. This way you can see how you like the stock as well as how it balances with your upper.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Good deal.....if I can exercise that kind of patience :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member