• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    Quite honestly haven't been very successful in finding someone local that has the time or wants to mill unregulated lowers. I have 80% lowers I need to 100%, and had to send them to a friend of a friend in Georgia (Mike Alexander Customs) Turns out he also works for the government in a sister command, which is very neat. He's got over 20 years of armament experience.

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Getting to 80% is legal. Often companies that make 80% lowers will send a sample to the ATF to get their opinion that it is an 80% to protect themselves before they sell them.

Getting to 100% yourself is perfectly legal as long as you don't intend to sell. Otherwise you need to get a manufacturers FFL and probably state license too. I wouldn't be comfortable doing the 100% work for someone else, but would be comfortable letting someone use my shop to do such (if I had a shop...which I don't).

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Be very careful with this. 80% lowers are legal IF YOU MAKE THEM YOURSELF!!! I wouldn't be buying an 80% lower if I didn't have the capability to finish it.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Hey folks, read the OP's post again. He has RAW forgings (aka 0% lowers) that he would like to be machined up to the 80% level. There is nothing at all illegal about that as long as the machine work stops at 80% as requested by the OP.

His request is completely legal.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Hey folks, read the OP's post again. He has RAW forgings (aka 0% lowers) that he would like to be machined up to the 80% level. There is nothing at all illegal about that as long as the machine work stops at 80% as requested by the OP.

Tho OP is perfectly legal .

The post below is highly illegal .

Quite honestly haven't been very successful in finding someone local that has the time or wants to mill unregulated lowers. I have 80% lowers I need to 100%, and had to send them to a friend of a friend in Georgia (Mike Alexander Customs) Turns out he also works for the government in a sister command, which is very neat. He's got over 20 years of armament experience.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Getting to 80% is legal. Often companies that make 80% lowers will send a sample to the ATF to get their opinion that it is an 80% to protect themselves before they sell them.

Getting to 100% yourself is perfectly legal as long as you don't intend to sell. Otherwise you need to get a manufacturers FFL and probably state license too. I wouldn't be comfortable doing the 100% work for someone else, but would be comfortable letting someone use my shop to do such (if I had a shop...which I don't).

The irony is I would not trust anyone else to run my equipment and I doubt most garage type machinists would. The guy spoon feeding the Engage build is pretty rare but at least he only has one type of part to index and can then just assembly line each 'owner' through the process.

I have a Bridgeport 308 VMC and could do the programming but would need at least one sacrificial part to check and dial the process in on before starting a production run. I'd be much better off doing a run of 10 parts than a pair of raw forgings.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have some raw forgings (AR) that I'd like someone to get to 80%.

No offense, but unless you have a BUNCH of forgings and want to do them as a batch, this will be cost prohibitive. You are much better off with an 80% and finishing that, look at someone who has taken a forging to the 100% level and look at the difference between 100% and 80%... it's not that much, without CNC and without doing a bunch of them. It would be insanely expensive per unit.

Mark

^^:thumbsup:

No offense, but unless you have a BUNCH of forgings and want to do them as a batch, this will be cost prohibitive. You are much better off with an 80% and finishing that, look at someone who has taken a forging to the 100% level and look at the difference between 100% and 80%... it's not that much, without CNC and without doing a bunch of them. It would be insanely expensive per unit.

Mark

I'll have to check,but I think I have 7-8 to be done.I thought I had someone lined up, only to find out later he doesn't actually have the capabilities.:sad20:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Post up some pictures of the forgings. Depending on the work needed done and making the fixtures to hold the parts it may be doable. I really don't see any cost benefit to buy 0% done vs. 80% ones if you don't have the machines to do the work.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Post up some pictures of the forgings. Depending on the work needed done and making the fixtures to hold the parts it may be doable. I really don't see any cost benefit to buy 0% done vs. 80% ones if you don't have the machines to do the work.

I imagine it would be something like E.Shell started with here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4197 I don't think these could be taken to 80% by machine shop for less than several times the cost of a completed lower from a shop. I think the best place to get theses done would be a manufacturer that would agree to manufacture the forgings to a certain level. I don't think a manufacturer would be willing to accept doing this if they have not submitted samples to the ATF in the past. So it may be hard to get a manufacturer to agree to make it an 80% lower if they are not in the business of doing it already.

Maybe you could talk to the guys at Engage. They are selling completed lowers and they also are selling 80%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom