• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Alrighty so I'll be serious. (Till the end)

Typically in CCW guns you have the Big 3 (9mm, .40, and .45 ACP)

9mm Pros:
    Lower cost
    Easy to find ammo
    NATO standard (in case you find a magic wand and end up in a warzone)
    Reduced recoil
    Reduced muzzle flash
    Higher capacity (1 or 2 rounds in most typical CCW guns)
    Good performance (terminal ballistics)

Cons:
    During an ammo panic one of the first to be gone
    Lack of (percieved power) 9mm gets a bad rap because of 9mm ball ammo
    "Old timers" look down on people that carry a "bucket of bullets" and insist one shot one kill while showing a "combat effective" group that could have been done better by a blind man with a box of blank 12 gauge shells.

.40 pros
    Cops use it possibility of grabbing spare ammo (unlikely but more likely than finding the magic wand mentioned earlier)
    Can use heavier bullets that deliver a wee bit more energy
    Of the Big 3 it has the best terminal ballistics after penetrating an intermediate barrier

Cons:
    Recoil is more difficult to manage (You have to invest more time behind the trigger)
    Its ghey
    Wearing a skirt means it's difficult to find holsters that will work
    Make up is hard to apply at 55 MPH+
    Nails are even harder

.45 ACP
    Pro's
    "God's cartridge"
    Kills souls not just bodies.
    Single stack is where it's at
    1911, God's gun, God's cartridge
    Recoil? Haha just kidding you're a man
    Your gunsmiths sons college sends you thank you letters

Cons:
    Aforementioned old timers
    8 rounds means lots of mag changes in training
    Steel is heavy
    You argue more if someone insults the brand of your choice than if they insult your family
    You begin to spout off random sayings ending in (but not limited too) "cause they don't make a .46, cause shooting twice is silly, they all fall to ball, even if its a little off it'll kill em dead, you don't need more than 8 rounds, I don't miss" (the proceeding are best followed with a spit of tobacco juice)

I choose .40 because of how it performs post intermediate barrier. I also train with it vigorously and often. I'm around vehicles or my vehicle 14-16 hours a day so I prefer the enhanced performance.

You should examine your life and see which cartridge will suit you best. Don't worry, thugs don't have little scorecards over there heads that say "requires .45 or .357 Magnum. They, and you won't notice the difference of .093" in bullet diameter.
    Focus on hitting center of mass often and then the face if that doesn't work.

The rest will come with time and training.

ETA: I lied about the end.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Alrighty so I'll be serious. (Till the end)

Typically in CCW guns you have the Big 3 (9mm, .40, and .45 ACP)

9mm Pros:
    Lower cost
    Easy to find ammo
    NATO standard (in case you find a magic wand and end up in a warzone)
    Reduced recoil
    Reduced muzzle flash
    Higher capacity (1 or 2 rounds in most typical CCW guns)
    Good performance (terminal ballistics)

Cons:
    During an ammo panic one of the first to be gone
    Lack of (percieved power) 9mm gets a bad rap because of 9mm ball ammo
    "Old timers" look down on people that carry a "bucket of bullets" and insist one shot one kill while showing a "combat effective" group that could have been done better by a blind man with a box of blank 12 gauge shells.

.40 pros
    Cops use it possibility of grabbing spare ammo (unlikely but more likely than finding the magic wand mentioned earlier)
    Can use heavier bullets that deliver a wee bit more energy
    Of the Big 3 it has the best terminal ballistics after penetrating an intermediate barrier

Cons:
    Recoil is more difficult to manage (You have to invest more time behind the trigger)
    Its ghey
    Wearing a skirt means it's difficult to find holsters that will work
    Make up is hard to apply at 55 MPH+
    Nails are even harder

.45 ACP
    Pro's
    "God's cartridge"
    Kills souls not just bodies.
    Single stack is where it's at
    1911, God's gun, God's cartridge
    Recoil? Haha just kidding you're a man
    Your gunsmiths sons college sends you thank you letters

Cons:
    Aforementioned old timers
    8 rounds means lots of mag changes in training
    Steel is heavy
    You argue more if someone insults the brand of your choice than if they insult your family
    You begin to spout off random sayings ending in (but not limited too) "cause they don't make a .46, cause shooting twice is silly, they all fall to ball, even if its a little off it'll kill em dead, you don't need more than 8 rounds, I don't miss" (the proceeding are best followed with a spit of tobacco juice)

I choose .40 because of how it performs post intermediate barrier. I also train with it vigorously and often. I'm around vehicles or my vehicle 14-16 hours a day so I prefer the enhanced performance.

You should examine your life and see which cartridge will suit you best. Don't worry, thugs don't have little scorecards over there heads that say "requires .45 or .357 Magnum. They, and you won't notice the difference of .093" in bullet diameter.
    Focus on hitting center of mass often and then the face if that doesn't work.

The rest will come with time and training.

ETA: I lied about the end.

Reeeely main? :rofl: :lol: :lol2:

(hey... don't blame me... YOU wrote and posted it. :innocent0)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I can't keep a straight face as long as Mopar, so here's condensed :

As long as quasi normal sized gun, between 9mm and .40 ( and .45acp,.357 Sig, 10mm up to 3-/4 power,.38spl -+P,.357 mag,.44spl,.45 Colt) , randomly flip a coin. For subcompacts weighing 16oz or less , 9mm ( or .38spl) will give better control.

Of course Alucard has me thinking of blue boobs in an F-150 .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    FWIW, the gun I have the most trigger time with is a Glock 22. I'm a competent shooter with it. I likely could not intentionally shoot myself in the foot with a Glock 27 and neither could most people that I know. In my experience, .40 is hard to control in a very small gun when it's hard to get a good grip.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    FWIW, the gun I have the most trigger time with is a Glock 22. I'm a competent shooter with it. I likely could not intentionally shoot myself in the foot with a Glock 27 and neither could most people that I know. In my experience, .40 is hard to control in a very small gun when it's hard to get a good grip.

I have idiot co workers buying the 33 just because we "have ammo for it". Terrible pistol. The 27&33 are awful.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have idiot co workers buying the 33 just because we "have ammo for it". Terrible pistol. The 27&33 are awful.

We have Plainclothes guys trying to qualify with it. Only the very best shooters are getting a passing score. It still isn't a good score but they just have to have it to be different.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We have Plainclothes guys trying to qualify with it. Only the very best shooters are getting a passing score. It still isn't a good score but they just have to have it to be different.

And our off duty qual is way easier than our duty qual. They still near fail.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Didn't the 40 come around because people in the FBI were having trouble controlling the 10mm? I thought the FBI went to the 10mm after the killings of their agents in Miami when they used the 9mm round. They went to the 10mm and some agents didn't have the wrist strength to safely/comfortably fire the 10mm and then they asked S&W to develop a round using the 10mm bullet. They came us with a 10mm kurz, which was named 40 Cal S&W.

Anyone remember it that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom