AK Build Party - Possibly mid/late summer?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    well right now is about the worst time for kits alot of them have dried up Mint Hungarian kits came in last year but have since dried up. Any reason you are building a kit as apposed to buying one? the m92 pap is so cheap you cant really beat it.

Simple, buy it cheap an stack it deep. A few still have the $89 kits in the closet, under the bed, in the safe or stacked ten deep in the shed.:innocent0

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I am going to say this I hope no one is building a pistol or SBR on a Pre October receiver its just stupid build a full rifle and buy or build a SBR on a post ban receiver

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I am hoping to do one of my Battle field pick up AK-74U kits at this party as a pistol Until I get my form back. I have a extra if someone wants a cool kit.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Days of cheap kits are definitely a memory.

My Hungarian kit ran a pretty penny, but it's now or never for me and completing this one. If it doesn't get built, it'll get sold.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I sent a pm to the two Virginia members. I have been living at Children's Hospital since Monday so I haven't had much time to respond to questions. It looks like my son will be transferring to a inpatient rehabilitation facility instead of going straight home.

Could someone please take a few minutes and respond to Tim Motoya's question about what is needed to build an AK? Thanks.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I am completely ignorant to the AK platform, but interested. Can you give a summary of what would be needed as in parts?

I have collected kits and had them built professional all my life this will be my first time building a AK but I will try to do a parts run down with you.
    1. First question do you have a Pre oct 2013 receiver or are we searching for pistol/SBR parts? Also what caliber 7.62x39 or 5.45x39?
    First you will need a parts kit once I know what caliber I can lead you to the cheapest or coolest kit depending on your interest. Price range is $400- the moon
    2. you will need a Barrel Many options out there but would suggest the new Polish made hammer forged chromlined barrels (I do not know if we will have the capability to thread and cut hand guard retainers so we should ask the experts before buying this) it is the best barrel out there tho. $169 -189 ( wait for a sale)
    3. Rivets you will need a good set of AK rivets for your Kit My builder always used his own so I dont know who makes the best for home building. $20 or less usually
    4.922R parts you will need 7 US parts to make a rifle or SBR US legal (not needed for a pistol build) Usually people do Trigger (3 parts) Mag(3 parts) and piston head (1 part)
    any other questions feel free to PM me I am still learning but I can lead you to parts.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    This is my obsession of the week. Andy at Engage showed me the Lil' Bitch which just sealed the deal. I'm pissed that the only AK I bought before FSA was a Yugo N-PAP, so now it's going to cost me.

First decision is 80% or buy a receiver so I can Form 1 asap. Then all these parts kits.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    First decision is 80% or buy a receiver so I can Form 1 asap. Then all these parts kits.

You can Form 1 an 80% you don't own yet. Pick a serial that you can stamp it w/ when you make it. Obviously if you buy a finished receiver you have to wait until you have it in hand to know the existing serial # & manufacturer info.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    You can Form 1 an 80% you don't own yet. Pick a serial that you can stamp it w/ when you make it. Obviously if you buy a finished receiver you have to wait until you have it in hand to know the existing serial # & manufacturer info.

:thumbsup: This is the most likely course of action.

eForms is not cooperating with me today. Uploading the trust fails without any error message. Need to try in the middle of the night perhaps.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'd be interested in watching how it's done/helping with stuff, but I have no pre-2013 receivers so I have nothing to build.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    well right now is about the worst time for kits alot of them have dried up Mint Hungarian kits came in last year but have since dried up. Any reason you are building a kit as apposed to buying one? the m92 pap is so cheap you cant really beat it.

Agreed, I got a PAP 92 and it's really nice.

Midway had some really nice Polish underfolder kits awhile ago (Polish Navy guns) for something like $300. I would have gotten one if I could have built it.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Agreed, I got a PAP 92 and it's really nice.

Midway had some really nice Polish underfolder kits awhile ago (Polish Navy guns) for something like $300. I would have gotten one if I could have built it.

You can do a sbr like a12.5 inch that is what I am going to build on a post ban reciver I have after I Finnish my prebans

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Thanks! I am just settling back home and plan to write up a post that covers this topic.

I hope the settling in goes well, I am interested also. I'm curious what one's budget should be for a decent shooter and I am guessing the 80% is the best way to go? - pistol -> eventually sbr. Seems like the last 4 years now has been very firearms budget heavy.
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom