• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Hey everyone,

Looking to do either a side folder or a fixed stock on a AK 7.62x39 nodak spud lower receiver.

Planning to sbr it into a 12.5"

Found a few kits on akbuilder, but they been sold out for a while.

Engage's "lil b" would be perfect, but is out of my price range.

Any input would help.

Thanks!

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    What help is it you're looking for exactly? Where to find parts? What size gas port to drill? The best handloads to shoot out of it for maximum night flames?

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    What help is it you're looking for exactly? Where to find parts? What size gas port to drill? The best handloads to shoot out of it for maximum night flames?

Was actually looking to see what others have built

But yes any information would help. Where to find parts, and gas port size to drill etc.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Barrels that are longer than 12.5" can be made 12.5".

Kits that don't come with a side folding stock can still be made into a side folding rifle.

Ak-builder.com has many kits, and lots of parts aside from kits. As does apex gun parts.

The ak forum dot net has lots of biy info as well, far more than this board, primarily because of the breadth of membership and specificity of subject matter. There's even a recent thread there about gas port sizing. :)

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks guys, so I basically need to just pick a "kit" that supports my fixed stock or side folder.

I dont need to chose a kit that is already designated as a "12.5" kit"

Do you guys have any specific kit recommendations?

Went through a bunch of kita on a few sites, chose these...not sure if they are correct

http://armsofamerica.com/polishakm-47partskithandselect-1-1.aspx

And

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...47-parts-kit-fixed-stock-detail.html?Itemid=0

Which seems to be the same as the one above

Having trouble finding a Russian kit

Last edited:

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Thanks guys, so I basically need to just pick a "kit" that supports my fixed stock or side folder.

I dont need to chose a kit that is already designated as a "12.5" kit"

Do you guys have any specific kit recommendations?

Went through a bunch of kita on a few sites, chose these...not sure if they are correct

http://armsofamerica.com/polishakm-47partskithandselect-1-1.aspx

And

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...47-parts-kit-fixed-stock-detail.html?Itemid=0

Which seems to be the same as the one above

Having trouble finding a Russian kit

Russians kits are to expensive for the budget you have in mind a kit with no barrel runs $600 and up

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Russians kits are to expensive for the budget you have in mind a kit with no barrel runs $600 and up

Yah i figured :sad20:

Can you send me an "itemized" quote? Here's what i'd like to do: if anything is wrong please let me know

1.) Nodak spud stripped lower receiver for a fixed stock 7.62 I believe my only choice is the NDS1 EZ
    -submit as a pistol

2.) Efile form 1 for sbr $200

3.)have you guys build me the 7.62 ak47 with a polish kit in wood
    -I believe these come with a 16" barrel, so chop that or buy a new one thats already a 12.5"?

Missing anything?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    I would suggest not getting the EZ receiver, sometimes the trunnion holes will not line up with the predilled holes. Also, it won't allow you to adjust where you want to place your trunnion in your receiver.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    If you're building an SBR from scratch, and you want to pay someone else to do it, you're likely looking at close to $1k (if not more) due to the amount of time involved in doing it *WELL*, and dependent upon the parts used.

You don't *NEED* a kit specific to a folding stock or fixed stock. You can get whatever parts kit you want and modify accordingly by buying other parts to accommodate options you prefer. As long as you get something with gas block, both sight blocks, top cover, bolt, carrier, and trigger guard, the rest is easily sorted. Don't get hung up on "oh that's an underfolder kit, it won't work with what i want to do." Yes it will. You just swap out the stock, trunnion, and hardware for what you want.

It's the receiver that ultimately matters; if you want a triangle sidefolder like the aks-74u, then you get the proper receiver for that. If you're not doing a triangle sidefolder or underfolder, then a standard AKM receiver (without trunnion holes pre-drilled) can be made to work with whatever you're doing.

With the number of members here with tooling to build AKs, you'd save a lot of money (since it seems you're working on a tighter budget) by just doing the build yourself. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Found a few kits on akbuilder, but they been sold out for a while

I bought the last 12.5" barreled AMD pistol kit from AK-Builder a few months ago. Would buy another when they are available again. Turned out great and will be SBR'ing mine soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom