• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I'm buying a new trail camera for my dad for his birthday and I need help. The one he has kills batterys quick and is too conplicated for him to use. I need some recamendations for a decent one. Something simple, takes decent pictures day and nighte, and I want to keep it under 200 bucks. He wants one of those black flash ones but the one he wants has been getting terrible reviews. Any help would be awsome.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's been so long since I bought one I really can't rec. one but, I am planning on up-grading the three(all different types) that I use this year and am eager to see what comes up here.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    My dad was talking about wanting a cuddyback evo with black flash (????????). I was reading reviews online for it and alot of them weren't good. I've heard good things about cuddyback so I might go that route just not that one.

Nonpoint

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2015
    Jury is still out on the black flash technology. Suposedly IR flash scares deer or so the people who stand to make money say.
    My dad was talking about wanting a cuddyback evo with black flash (????????). I was reading reviews online for it and alot of them weren't good. I've heard good things about cuddyback so I might go that route just not that one.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Jury is still out on the black flash technology. Suposedly IR flash scares deer or so the people who stand to make money say.

I have no doubt IR flash scares SOME deer. Mainly mature bucks. Does and immature bucks seem to be curious but, the old guys just don't like'm. I've even considered having my cams turn off during nighttime. I have resorted to mounting the cams high(out of line-of-sight) looking down. It seems like they spook less that way.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Browning makes some nice cameras. I have two of the dark ops versions and they take great pics and can even record video. They have been set out since end of february and the batteries are still at 100% with over 1000 pics each. The night pics dont seem to alert the deer like my old cameras. I have pics of birds flying through the motion sensor and have clear pics of them in flight most cameras dont have a fast enough shutter speed for that. It even detects small rodents like chipmunks.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Well I decided to just let him pick the one he wanted. I took him to basspro and told him to pick one. He picked one from bushnell that he liked. It seems very simple to use. Gonna put it out today to test it out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice. I have one of the original Bushnells, 7 or 8 yrs. old? It still runs and I keep it in the field 365 days a year. That model was not ''simple to use''.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    I've been using my Bushnell for about 5 years now and it has never let me down. It's compact and has a decent recovery time with Alkaline batteries. Lot of Critters in my back yard...

IM000073.jpg

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I've been using moultrie the last few years. Been really happy with them. They sell refurbished units on their website at a good discount. That's how I started using them, price was too good not to give it a try. Bought a refurbished model 5 years ago and it still works great, not a single issue. I now have about 8 cameras all refurbs.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I have used multiple types and have basically decided that it all comes down to if you get lucky. I've seen 2 of the same cameras perform different. One works great, the other takes a dump in a few months. I stay away from wildgames. I do like cuddys, but am not a die hard. I know this doesn't really help, but its just been my overall experience.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Moultrie has been the best for me. I had a Bushnell but after a few years it started taking pics non stop and finally it just quit taking pics...no screen nothing. The light would come on detecting the download cord but nothing else. Moultrie M-80 is decent not a fast trigger speed but with lithium AA batteries it lasts a long time.

Primos and tasco game cameras are junk. and go through batteries quick.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I got a stealthcam off amazon for 85ish a couple weeks ago. Easy to use and good pics. It has a dial that you turn to one of 4 preset options. Will do pics or video and the 4th preset can be customized.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Does anyone know of a trail cam without a flash or IR sensor that just records a series of timed images ?

Don't know if this one takes timed or just motion activated pics, but it was recommended as an alternative security camera (when real-time, internet accessible monitoring isn't required) because it lacks the IR flash ...

http://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-No-Glo-Camera-STC-G42NG/dp/B00HMN7H04/

I saw it as low as $106 at Jet.com (a new Amazon alternative), but didn't really price compare more.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Went to Dicks today and got what I think is a good deal on a Moultrie D5. $59. on sale from $99. It was a impulse buy as I had a coupon for $20 off $100, so I got some .22 to make up the rest. I can't give the OP any recommendations on it yet, but if I don't like it, it will be going back.

They have these two on clearance.http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f...dgame+Innovations&fd=Wildgame+Innovations+++&

I believe all my cameras are the D5. Really like them they've been good to me. Put a 16gig memory card in and it swap it out monthly, still has plenty of room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom