• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    I recently placed an ultimak rail on my AK. I placed a trijicon reflex II holo sight and has a good zero. But, it will not co-witness with the iron sights.
    So, I got a vortex sparc on it. Look at the pics........

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpg
      IMG_1962.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 1,029
    • IMG_1964.jpg
      IMG_1964.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 1,276

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    Now, let's see if the tab on the rear sight is at zero.......

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpg
      IMG_1969.jpg
      38.6 KB · Views: 926
    • IMG_1968.jpg
      IMG_1968.jpg
      28.4 KB · Views: 971

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    you see the red dot but, the front sight post is nowhere in sight...literally.
    damn this is shameful.
    But, what i am going to do is even more shameful. I will re zero the rifle where the tab of the rear sight is set at 400meters so that i can co witness the vortex. Which means after i zero the rifle, 400m= 0m, 500m= 100m and so on and so forth.
    Let's see what happens....Pls. need advice, all comments (bad or good) welcome. I posted it here so, that we will learn from this.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The problem from what I can tell is that your optic isn't sitting at the correct height to be co-witnessed with the irons. You can still zero the dot, but it will just not be in line with the front sight. It looks more like a lower 1/3 witness with the irons being below where the dot will eventually zero.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It's an AK, if you have a red dot hanging off the piston tube, the option will be to high to cowitness with the iron sights.

You can shoot the red dot on target, and if push comes to shove, take off the red dot to use the iron sights.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I have a sparc on my AR. It worked perfectly for a few hundred rounds then the last time I was at the range the red dot would come and go between rounds from the recoil. Not sure if that's a sign of low battery or wrecked wiring. Opinions?

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I have a sparc on my AR. It worked perfectly for a few hundred rounds then the last time I was at the range the red dot would come and go between rounds from the recoil. Not sure if that's a sign of low battery or wrecked wiring. Opinions?
    You may want to start another thread on this subject so more of our experts will see it. I was thinking of purchasing one of these and would like to what the other guys think of this optic.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Check the battery cover and make sure if it's tight. If it is and the connection still is flickering during recoil send it back. They have a very good warranty.

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    ak iron dot from la rue is the only thing that co witness with the ak sights. unfortunately they don't make it anymore. la rue said they are improving their designs and the availability is until further notice. in the mean time i'll stick with the ultimak with vortex until the better setup for AK comes up. i'll save my money for another project.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The only optic thats gonna take the heat thats generated on an AK gas system reliably will be an aimpoint. I have seen cheaper optics melt on untimaks before, even EoTechs fail on them.

Get a Aimpoint Micro T1, or use a Russian side rail on the receiver and whatever optic you want.

The Vortex battery issues in thei thread are common with budget and mid grade optics:

Clean the contacts with alcohol, and bend or stretch the springs or contacts. Try a new battery too, many of the budget optics cause a slow draw or current on the battery, which can lead to issues. Best bet is to remove the batteries until shooting next. Heat generated from a weapon can also vcause batteries to fail, or become unstable.

Theres also an oxidation issue with aluminum on aluminum threads for electrical contacts, this happens on lasers and flashlights too. You need a contact lube designed to eliminate the oxidation.

Heres a thread about it I made (bottom of post #1): http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=32427

Heres the product: http://www.lighthound.com/NyoGel-760...be_p_1345.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom