• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Does ATF have to receive my form 1 before 10/1 or do I just have to have the lower?

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    You need to have the lower and have your Form 1 in to MSP (or your local CLEO) before 10/1. If you already have your F1 back, approved by local/state law enforcement, it doesn't really matter when ATF receives it since they don't have anything to do with our 10/1 deadline.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have the receiver and a trust, so I don't believe I need MSP. Would just ad it to trust. Talked to USPS about over nighting it to ATF today but they couldn't guarantee it would be there by Mon. Since I have the receiver I would rather just do a form 1 than buy an SBR this weekend.

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    You are assuming that if you have your Form 1 prior to 10/01 you are GTG. This is unclear.

The Form 1 is basically a $200 permission slip, that if approved, allows you to manufacture a SBR. It takes many moths to get approved. Obviously you will not be able to lawfully posses and SBR prior to October 1, and grandfather it on the bases of lawful possession. The AWB will also grandfather an Assault Weapon for which you have a purchase order for prior to Oct 1st. Maybe, the Form 1 meets the purchase order requirement.

Let me go on record as stating that, assuming you possessed the AR15 prior to Oct 1st, I see not statutory prohibition on turning it into an SBR post Oct 1st. I think most who have spent a considerable amount of time looking at the new legislations would come to the same conclusion. However the MSP may not share this interpretation. There has been a lot of conflicting information be reported back by FFL from recent MSP training sessions.

Like you I just did a last min Form 1. If you have a trust, then file your materials online. I did it last night. Once you figure it out, it is a pretty painless process.

BAGGERZ13

Feb 14, 2013
    ^ THIS! Im trying to figure out if they are just banning the factory SBRs aka form 4....of you already have the lower I dont see why you can still do form 2s. The gun you are submitting a form 1 on is already banned and your just changing its configuration.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You are assuming that if you have your Form 1 prior to 10/01 you are GTG. This is unclear.

The Form 1 is basically a $200 permission slip, that if approved, allows you to manufacture a SBR. It takes many moths to get approved. Obviously you will not be able to lawfully posses and SBR prior to October 1, and grandfather it on the bases of lawful possession. The AWB will also grandfather an Assault Weapon for which you have a purchase order for prior to Oct 1st. Maybe, the Form 1 meets the purchase order requirement.

Let me go on record as stating that, assuming you possessed the AR15 prior to Oct 1st, I see not statutory prohibition on turning it into an SBR post Oct 1st. I think most who have spent a considerable amount of time looking at the new legislations would come to the same conclusion. However the MSP may not share this interpretation. There has been a lot of conflicting information be reported back by FFL from recent MSP training sessions.

Like you I just did a last min Form 1. If you have a trust, then file your materials online. I did it last night. Once you figure it out, it is a pretty painless process.

Never did figure out the online thing.
    Hoping I'll get an answer as to if I can still do a Form 1
    Can I build a pistol out of my lower? Legally if it would be a 9mm pistol on a 5.56 lower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom