9 inch.... 12 inch.... Decisions Decisions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    Just looking for a second opinion.... 9 inch 300 blk out upper, or 12.5 inch upper. The brand is AAC.... Not a whole lot of difference. Form 1 already completed and approved for 12.5 inch. Just debating which one I should get. And in case someone is wondering, having the ATF aware of the 9 inch isn't a big deal nor is it hard to do. I do plan on getting a suppressor, but that doesn't matter for attachment purposes because both come with the 51T mount for the AAC-SDN 6.

Thoughts?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Depends on your use. I have 8.2 & 12.2 Noveske's. I find the 12.2 to be more accurate and able to produce higher velocities. The differeence in handling is negligible in close quarters. I suggest the longer barrel.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I have the 9" AAC with an SDN-6 and a 1-4x. I find the accuracy acceptable and it functions flawlessly.

With .300Blk, there's no reason not to go with the shorter/suppressed. That's what it's made for.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    I have a AAC 9 inch upper. I am not in love with its accuracy to this point... but it could be the remington 220 gr i have been using....
    with the sdn 6 though it is very very very quiet

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If this is for a rifle (even SBR), you need a minimum of about 10.3" to make the MD minimum OAL of 29".

Pistol can use shorter barrels.

Last edited:

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I have the 8.2" Noveske. At near max book load I am only at 880fps with 220 SMK's. It is louder than I expected with 2 different silencers. I am seriously considering a longer barrel for those two reasons. I am only guessing but I suspect the powder is not getting a complete burn due to the low velocity and increased sound.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I actually really like the 12.5" 300 black build we did, so 12" gets my vote.

I built a 12.2" Noveske, and I really considered that to be the best of both worlds.

Supersonics still had good velocity, and subs ran like a dream.

I'd opt for the 12" build as well.

Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    Do you want it more compact or more accurate? 12.5" is still short but would give you a little better accuracy and velocity. I'd say depends in what you plan on using it for.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    12"... a little more room out front and it won't feel as cramped. Better velocity and reduced noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom