• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hey all-

This latest deluge has brought to a head the fact that I may need some help with my yard.

I live in a townhouse. We have a Bradford pear tree in the front yard that's getting too tall for the space and is dropping leaf litter in my gutters. I want to find a tree company to get an estimate on reducing the crown of the tree to prevent this, if it can be done while maintaining the health of the tree. If not, we'll see...

Also my front yard has done some settling and drainage of the whole area is TERRIBLE. Clay soil, probably shoddy backfill work when the place was built 20 years ago. With some of the settling, the drain line for my sump pump (exits through the front of the house, goes underground to the curb and exits into the street) has pulled away from the stub that goes through the front wall of the house. I want to look at having that repaired, as well as maybe tying my gutters into the drain line that would have them exit through the curb as well. I want all that water FAR AWAY from the house. No more pond in my front yard when it rains.

Anyone know anyone who's done that kind of work?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If a large Bradford is that close to your home, get rid of it. It's only a matter of time before it snaps in half onto your home, making leaf litter seem trivial.

The neighborhood next to mine is (was?) filled with Bradford pears. When we had the ice storm about two months ago, every single Bradford broke off an entire side or the whole tree snapped and fell to the ground. They are terrible trees for landscaping.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Check with the HOA BEFORE doing anything though. They will tell you what you can and cannot do. That's why I live in the country with farms around me. I can do almost whatever I want.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Check with the HOA BEFORE doing anything though. They will tell you what you can and cannot do. That's why I live in the country with farms around me. I can do almost whatever I want.

Oh, that's a given. My HOA is usually extremely lax, but every so often they get a hair up their ass about something.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Take it down and don't sweat it. Our 50' Bradford fell onto my 2004 Accord during Irene and caused $4150 in damage, which I chose not to repair...a seven year old car. Still own it with the ugly lumps on the roof and trunk lid.

Lew--Ranger63

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If a large Bradford is that close to your home, get rid of it. It's only a matter of time before it snaps in half onto your home, making leaf litter seem trivial.

This, x100.

It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom