• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    another name thats seems to be comming up is Gerber. i got one of their new addisted opening knives Fast Draw, and that thing is a beast. You could pull it off your pocket..and with a sight push from your thumb, open and be ready. Everything from Gerber i have has never failed me. They have some realy great stuff

+1 not really a Gerber fan, but rebel's is nice

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    eh, screw it and get a microtech ultratech!!!! those things are NICE. i'd like to get one of those and carry it!

A man can dream . . . a man can dream . . .

Microtech used to make some of my favorite knives. Despite making a much more limited range of models than other companies, they're the second most prolific company in my collection. It saddened me when they stopped their brief stint making manual knives though I look forward to any news of the manual option of the CMT. On the other hand, their AUG clone/variation project interests me even if I feel it's one of the most butt ugly designs in weapons just because of how high quality they make stuff.

Needless to say, if I ever find myself in a situation where I could legally purchase automatic knives, it would probably save time to just bring a briefcase full of money directly to Microtech and ask them to fill it up with whatever.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    you can....in maryland, auto knives are legal to own....at least according to the sources i can find. as far as carry, there isnt a direct law that says NO, except the concealed weapons laws....so if u carry it totally visible then technically i dont see the problem (then again, i'm not a lawyer and i'll probably get flamed for posting this)

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    you can....in maryland, auto knives are legal to own....at least according to the sources i can find. as far as carry, there isnt a direct law that says NO, except the concealed weapons laws....so if u carry it totally visible then technically i dont see the problem (then again, i'm not a lawyer and i'll probably get flamed for posting this)

The laws seldom deal with possession as that's both a pain to comply with and enforce. There are situations where once can legally buy automatic knives but later no longer qualify for such. However, MD law prohibits buying and selling the things. No idea if they honor the provisions in the federal switchblade laws for categories of people that can buy them or not (ie, military servicemen and people missing one arm).

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That is exactly how I understand it.

One problem with the owning an automatic knife in MD I am afraid of because I have not read either way on this, but if you bought one in a state where they are legal, can you tranport it into MD on your person travelling in a car? If it is illegal to do so, then they catch you with a knife manufactured after they enacted the law they may ask questions.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The laws seldom deal with possession as that's both a pain to comply with and enforce. There are situations where once can legally buy automatic knives but later no longer qualify for such. However, MD law prohibits buying and selling the things. No idea if they honor the provisions in the federal switchblade laws for categories of people that can buy them or not (ie, military servicemen and people missing one arm).

I have read no provisions that I can see for anyone at all to purchase in MD.
    § 4-105.
    (a) A person may not sell, barter, display, or offer to sell or barter:

(1) a knife or a penknife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, commonly called a switchblade knife or a switchblade penknife; or

(2) a device that is designed to propel a knife from a metal sheath by means of a high-compression ejector spring, commonly called a shooting knife.

(b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 12 months or a fine of not less than $50 and not exceeding $500 or both.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    That is exactly how I understand it.

One problem with the owning an automatic knife in MD I am afraid of because I have not read either way on this, but if you bought one in a state where they are legal, can you tranport it into MD on your person travelling in a car? If it is illegal to do so, then they catch you with a knife manufactured after they enacted the law they may ask questions.

That's a damn good question. The MD laws don't apply unless it's concealed by my understanding since you now are dealing with interstate commerce. But the federal law may or may not apply.

There's a regulation in the federal law about prohibiting transporting them in interstate commerce, but I have no idea if buying in one state and just taking it home counts as interstate commerce or not if you have no intent to sell or distribute them. There's an exception for "common carriers" so it might be legal to buy it in another state and then ship it via a courier service to your home, but I'll admit I'm unclear what constitutes a common carrier.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have two I interchange, a small Columbia Fixed Blade that I attach to my pack for open carry or for longer "expeditions" I picked up a GERBER LMF. Nice knife but a little large/heavy for everyday.

repair-man

Mar 27, 2007
    SW MD
    I carry a mini-griptilian. I love bench-made's axis lock. I don't think I'll ever find anything as smooth.

556s-benchmadep1_01.jpg

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I carry a Dodge truck key. I cuts through the tape on Dell boxes like you wouldn't believe. And as a bonus, I could poke an assailant in the eye if he stood still long enough. Does your silly old knife have a panic button?? I didn't think so. :cool16:

Attachments

• CHR300C 4 button copy.jpg
      CHR300C 4 button copy.jpg
      7.5 KB · Views: 500

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I just got the large TDI with a Tanto edge. It's a pretty natural motion to use it, basically like throwing a punch. Unfortunatly the knife's design doesn't give you any latitude to say it was being carried for any other reason. You're not slicing apples with this one. My at work carrier is a S&W Extreme Ops folder with a 3.5" blade. Holds an edge really nicely.

simplet1

Feb 26, 2012
    as a resident of the state of md, i can say that the lines on legality and blade size are very much blurred. i once tried to ask a cop about how legal my knife was by describing it to him, he proceeded to pull out the exact knife i was describing. he gave me his card and said if i ever had a problem, present the officer with that card, as it was well known that he was a collector. i have also had them take my knife away and give it back to me after questioning. i have also been brought up on concealed weapon charges, though, that was a concealed weapon, and the knife was not of the useful tool variety. it's all in the officers discretion at the time, and also has a lot to do with how you present yourself. i have never had t pull a knife, so i cannot speak from that side of things. as for personal self defense, learn a martial art and carry a koga stick, it's much more useful in not landing your butt in jail, if even just for the night. any weapon should only be used as a last resort, especially one that can take life. i say, if your knife is for self defense, then you should know self defense, and know how to use the knife in a way that will not necessarily kill a person, so much as help you create your exit.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    simplet1 said:
    as a resident of the state of md, i can say that the lines on legality and blade size are very much blurred. i once tried to ask a cop about how legal my knife was by describing it to him, he proceeded to pull out the exact knife i was describing. he gave me his card and said if i ever had a problem, present the officer with that card, as it was well known that he was a collector. i have also had them take my knife away and give it back to me after questioning. i have also been brought up on concealed weapon charges, though, that was a concealed weapon, and the knife was not of the useful tool variety. it's all in the officers discretion at the time, and also has a lot to do with how you present yourself. i have never had t pull a knife, so i cannot speak from that side of things. as for personal self defense, learn a martial art and carry a koga stick, it's much more useful in not landing your butt in jail, if even just for the night. any weapon should only be used as a last resort, especially one that can take life. i say, if your knife is for self defense, then you should know self defense, and know how to use the knife in a way that will not necessarily kill a person, so much as help you create your exit.

Resurrection!

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    as far as fixed vs folding, i dont see any practical advantage...its just a personal thing i feel. kinda like if you have a concealed carry permit, why open carry at that point?

personally, i like the idea of an open display of weaponry...knowing the laws and limitations and displaying whats left of your rights is the only way to attempt to preserve them, really. i plan on carrying my bulgarian '74 drop point bayonet openly sometime...every day? no, but sometimes, sure.

edit: it may be a good idea to print out a copy of the laws regarding knives and keep them in your wallet or something, just in case an office unaware of the law does attempt to stop you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom