• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Long story short, someone stole my tree stand ( it was chained and locked and they had to cut that and it would have taken time to take it apart and had to be 2 people with 4 wheelers), and I can't hunt on the ground with a gun on my land. I posted my calamity on my FB page and 1 of my FB friends is the daughter of the landowner who lets me trap his farm. She replied the next day that her dad said I could hunt there, and will show me tomorrow 2 stands I can hunt from. He said I could check things with my slug gun today using his giant dirt pile as a backstop. I only have irons on this gun and not the greatest for seeing. So I go there and the sun is in my face almost, but is safest direction for shooting. I make a group at 25 yards that would down any deer, but sucked at 35yds ( low hits, some not even on paper). I went to 30 and was OK still. The issue is that I am hitting left. What could be causing that? I used a bipod shooting stick and was sitting. I really hope these 2 stands have shooting rails!

Also- the DNR officer said he would call me back 2 days ago but hasn't yet. He called with his personal cell phone which my caller ID picked up. Should I call him at that # at this point, or is that considered bad/rude?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Long story short, someone stole my tree stand ( it was chained and locked and they had to cut that and it would have taken time to take it apart and had to be 2 people with 4 wheelers), and I can't hunt on the ground with a gun on my land. I posted my calamity on my FB page and 1 of my FB friends is the daughter of the landowner who lets me trap his farm. She replied the next day that her dad said I could hunt there, and will show me tomorrow 2 stands I can hunt from. He said I could check things with my slug gun today using his giant dirt pile as a backstop. I only have irons on this gun and not the greatest for seeing. So I go there and the sun is in my face almost, but is safest direction for shooting. I make a group at 25 yards that would down any deer, but sucked at 35yds ( low hits, some not even on paper). I went to 30 and was OK still. The issue is that I am hitting left. What could be causing that? I used a bipod shooting stick and was sitting. I really hope these 2 stands have shooting rails!

Also- the DNR officer said he would call me back 2 days ago but hasn't yet. He called with his personal cell phone which my caller ID picked up. Should I call him at that # at this point, or is that considered bad/rude?

If the rear sight has a windage adjustment, Try moving it to the right, little by little. It shouldn't take much movement to make a difference.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A couple of thoughts Foxtrapper.

One, the sun in your eyes didn't help. Understood it was either that or an unsafe angle.

Two, I'd be very curious to know how many slugs you shot, and if your good group at 25 yards was the first batch of slugs you sent down range. Still good at 30 shouldn't be way off at 35.

Here's a rule of thumb I've always used when it comes to heavy recoiling slug guns when it comes to sight in. If after 15 rounds, you're still not exactly where you want to be? Consider coming back another day. Slug gun recoil is substantial. At some point, there's such a thing as too many shots, which in turn can lead to incorrect conclusions.

From what you describe, my first thought is that you may be well served to try again another day, and at a different time of day. Just a gut hunch. Good luck!

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Assuming your slug gun has a rifled barrel, you may need to try different brands till find what it likes the best. I have one gun that Remington Copper Sabots is all it wants to shoot any other slugs or sabots it's all over the place. Chris

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I don't have time to goof around with dif brands right now thanks to the sleazoids who stole my stand ,and considering opening day is sat and the landowner said come over and hunt opening day, as he has too many deer. I killed a big doe with this gun in 2011 at 20-25 yards and she dropped right there, good dbl lung. So I know I can do it at that that.

I fired off maybe 11 rounds total, starting at 25, then tried 35, then to 30. 3 dif brands.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    A couple of thoughts Foxtrapper.

Here's a rule of thumb I've always used when it comes to heavy recoiling slug guns when it comes to sight in. If after 15 rounds, you're still not exactly where you want to be? Consider coming back another day. Slug gun recoil is substantial. At some point, there's such a thing as too many shots, which in turn can lead to incorrect conclusions.

From what you describe, my first thought is that you may be well served to try again another day, and at a different time of day. Just a gut hunch. Good luck!

This is very good advice. I wish I had heard it a few years ago when I sighted mine in. I'm not a real good shot, and that day I sighted in, the more I shot the worse I got. Try another day. You still got time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I gave up on my shotgun and just use my blackpowder rifle.I know its only one shot,but that one shot usually does it.

I hunted with BP for years during regular firearms season...until I got my Savage 220. Killed tons of deer that way. It makes you a better hunter.:thumbsup:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    My shoulder says "not too many damn slug gun firings please, or I will hurt you for a week!"

If my stand hadn't been stolen, I'd prob be here bitching about my trade VX1 scope being effed up at some point and not holding zero on my LR308. And wanting to use the .270 from last year but wanting to clean it and begging one of you local guys to come by and take the damn thing apart for me, letting me clean it, then putting it back together again.

I can bitch about the muzzleloader too if you'd like. I was going to work on that the same day, but I was too mad about my stolen stand.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I hunted with BP for years during regular firearms season...until I got my Savage 220. Killed tons of deer that way. It makes you a better hunter.:thumbsup:

We sell those things at Scott's and everyone comes back and sings their praises. Interestingly enough, most want them in 20 ga. I'm hearing a good shooter can hit well out to 200 yds and beyond. I hunt in a rifle area, but hearing that has me wanting one.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    It sound slike even your group at 25 yards might not have been the best. Do you have another gun that is more accurate? Even a muzzleloader? You arent doing yourself any favors with a shotgun if you cant group it at 30 yards.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I asked what specifically she was shooting. I suspect Foster slugs through a smoothbore if her 30 yd accuracy is only OK. One thing I learned from Scott while working at Scott's Gunsmithing is that many semi-autos and pumps will lose zero when you remove the barrel to clean 'em good or to swap over to a field barrel. The issue is that the magazine tube nut can be tightened differently from one re-install of the barrel to the next. His method? Tighten by hand until just snug, then tight 1/4 turn or 1 or 2 clicks if you have that type of nut. The key is to be sure it is tight and to be consistent as possible. All that makes sense when you think about it....but isn't something most would pay much attention.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Slugs can be pretty accurate. This is what I got at 50 yds off a bench with my slug gun. Aim was center of target; it zeroes at 100yds. Maybe try a different brand of slugs? I use Remington Premier AccuTip 12 GA 385 Gr Bonded Sabot Slug.

Attachments

• IMG_1393s.JPG
      IMG_1393s.JPG
      13.2 KB · Views: 285

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If I recall correctly, the Winchester 1300 rear sight is dovetailed and is drift adjustable for windage. The sight should be lightly tapped, using a brass drift & small hammer, in the direction you want the group to move for windage.

A quick search shows that my memory has not failed!:)

Choose the ammo that grouped best and stay with that ammo until you have time to test other ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom