IDPA what can you expect. wish i saw this BEFORE i started.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_LrjmcBGI

ATTENTION ALL WEAR AND CARRY PERMIT (armed citizens) personnel. PLEASE consider joining us for just one match. whether you just come out and watch or if you feel you'd like to participate, jump in. lots of fun, GREAT training, and you may make a friend or two. :party29:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i highly recommend anyone ccw'ing or even with house guns do a few idpa matches with those guns. great way to make sure the guns work and the shooter works and they work well together. it's def not force on force training, but when that buzzer goes off there's some adrenaline flowing that impacts your ability to shoot fast accurately.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Good post Woodstock. I would only add that beginners should not be overwhelmed by the complexity of the stages and the speed of the competitors in the video. Club level matches are safe, much less intimidating, and FUN!

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Very eye opening and looks like a blast!

Anyone here shoot the IDPA at AAFG? Curious as to how long the Saturday morning matches usually run as I have to work around my work schedule.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo

Anyone here shoot the IDPA at AAFG? Curious as to how long the Saturday morning matches usually run as I have to work around my work schedule.
    AAFG matched run sat 9-1. 9 is for setup. Shooting begins at 10. Must be done by 1 due to neighborhood constraints. You will find a good mix of shooters and learn from some very good ones. I started there three years ago as a beginner and have learned and developed a lot. I am now a safety officer as well. Once you get hooked into active shooting, standing still and shooting bullseye targets seems too tame.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Swearengen

Nov 13, 2012
    Baltimore Co.

I've shoot quite a few IDPA matches there. Show time is 9am. Match starts at 10am and ends by 1pm at the latest. Good group of shooters there very friendly and welcoming. http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/match_admin.html

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD

AAFG matches are the best run IDPA matches in the area(DC/Baltimore). Highly recommended.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    AAFG matches are the best run IDPA matches in the area(DC/Baltimore). Highly recommended.

if it weren't for the travel and travel time, i'd be there as often as i am at Thurmont. i've heard good things about AAFG, maybe one day i can make it, probably during the summer months.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    How does one enter in to this IDPA shoot? Thurmont is a hike, but easy drive.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I'm trying to ascertain the differences between IDPA and USPSA. I did an inrto many years ago with standing in boxes shooting at paper and poppers. I think it was USPPA then. Limited, unlimited, power factors, race guns. What belongs where?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Twice a year they get a "pass" to shoot on Sundays and later than 1PM on Saturdays. Paying attention to the calendar for a match on a Sunday will give the clue it will be a Saturday match that runs long.

I try to regularly do the first Saturday of the Month.

Matches are...

First Friday of the month
    First Saturday of the month
    Second Saturday of the month
    Fourth Saturday of the month

See you there.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I'm trying to ascertain the differences between IDPA and USPSA. I did an inrto many years ago with standing in boxes shooting at paper and poppers. I think it was USPPA then. Limited, unlimited, power factors, race guns. What belongs where?

IDPA - Defensive and "Practical"

USPSA - Run and Gun, Shoot everything fast

Both great, just different.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    :thumbsup: +1 on AAF&G. Well organized and good people! From a non-member.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Many complain about all the rules in IDPA that slow you down. This is not a race, but it is a race. Yea, not a typo. USPAS is a race and only a race...hence the use of "race guns". (Look up race guns for a sticker shock surprise). USPSA is fun, but it's just run and shoot.

IDPA adds the element of confusion, (rules, COF), to the mix to make the accuracy and speed the challenge. And, your everyday handgun, some, but not many mods can be made...no race guns.

COF = Course of Fire

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    bikebreath sez~~~> "IDPA adds the element of confusion, (rules, COF), to the mix to make the accuracy and speed the challenge." while i am completely new to IDPA, i find this the most damning part in terms of being penalized. personally, i would like it if i was told what the scenario was, then told to take out the targets as i see fit. certainly a round count would be needed to level the playing field, but i would like to decide the sequence of threats. if i would be considered "out of threat assessment order" then penalize me. "real life scenarios" not relying on memory, especially when sometimes the instructions are "oops, i mean..." or, "last shooter was out of sequence, but that is what he heard from the SO..." add to the mix my brain is old and can't remember sh1t from time to time :smoke:.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    bikebreath sez~~~> "IDPA adds the element of confusion, (rules, COF), to the mix to make the accuracy and speed the challenge." while i am completely new to IDPA, i find this the most damning part in terms of being penalized. personally, i would like it if i was told what the scenario was, then told to take out the targets as i see fit. certainly a round count would be needed to level the playing field, but i would like to decide the sequence of threats. if i would be considered "out of threat assessment order" then penalize me. "real life scenarios" not relying on memory, especially when sometimes the instructions are "oops, i mean..." or, "last shooter was out of sequence, but that is what he heard from the SO..." add to the mix my brain is old and can't remember sh1t from time to time :smoke:.
    They generally do not tell you how to shoot the cof. The penalties you mention are based on tactical principals that are sound. You decide how you want to shoot the stage. You can't make decisions to game your score at the cost of good tactical decisions. While it is competition, it is foremost based on defensive tactics.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom