• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Why doesn't MSI (Maryland Shall Issue) help out with a basic letter for the appeal process?

I don't know, but I didn't want to wait for someone else to give me a template, as I had to respond with in 10 days of my "denial" (that is what I call it)

Port Fourchon

Feb 19, 2011
    My apologies

I am Maryland Hunter’s co-worker. I sent Patrick a detailed response, but a quick summary is that I screwed up and didn't have my application in before the stay. I also didn't understand how the money in a cashier’s check is handled by banks and thought it meant that my check had been cashed. Then when it was returned to me and I had to take it back to the bank I thought that was a refund. I apologize for getting people worked up over the “refund”. I didn’t know what I was talking about when I told MH.

OLD FORD GUY

Mar 31, 2012
    Baldwin, MD
    We don't give legal advice. What we will do is publish any letter provided us that seems to do the trick.

We're in the game, too. When our execs do something, you will have access to it.

Patrick,
    Good point. I want to apologize for the negative tone of my original question. I didn't intend it to be critical of MSI. Should have said "Perhaps we can get MSI to provide some guidelines or key points to cover in the transmittal letter to the Appeals Board."
    After posting the original question I was out mowing a pasture and my mind was going over the question when I realized that it was a bit negative.
    Sorry about that. MSI has done a great job on the issue to date. They got me interested in time to submit an application pre stay. Thanks for all you and the other MSI Execs do.
    Regards,
    Jim K

Mr H

Banana'd
    I am Maryland Hunter’s co-worker. I sent Patrick a detailed response, but a quick summary is that I screwed up and didn't have my application in before the stay. I also didn't understand how the money in a cashier’s check is handled by banks and thought it meant that my check had been cashed. Then when it was returned to me and I had to take it back to the bank I thought that was a refund. I apologize for getting people worked up over the “refund”. I didn’t know what I was talking about when I told MH.

erase... erase... erase...

:D

Thanks for stepping up and clarifying the situation. It really does help in the mental gymnastics a lot of us are doing daily.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

No problem here. I'm glad that we found out it was just a misunderstanding, rather than another game that we had to worry that the state was playing.

Though I'm sure that they will play more.

MH

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

Let's review a few things:

• There are about 9 Trillion Federal Laws on Firearms
    • Maryland does its best to match the Fed
    • This whole thing is a fracking mess
    And you feel the need to apologize for missing one tiny detail? :)

Seriously, our britches are not that tight. :cool:

Thanks for playing along and for helping in everything you have done, and will do. Really.

As it turns out, MSP did "letter deny" at least one person who applied pre-stay. We captured the details.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Patrick,
    Good point. I want to apologize for the negative tone of my original question. I didn't intend it to be critical of MSI. Should have said "Perhaps we can get MSI to provide some guidelines or key points to cover in the transmittal letter to the Appeals Board."
    After posting the original question I was out mowing a pasture and my mind was going over the question when I realized that it was a bit negative.
    Sorry about that. MSI has done a great job on the issue to date. They got me interested in time to submit an application pre stay. Thanks for all you and the other MSI Execs do.
    Regards,
    Jim K

Holy cow. MSI isn't the "sensitive" type. :)

I didn't take you inquiry as negative; I took it as a legitimate question asking what we could do to help the membership. That is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask.

The simple truth is we are not a law firm. We are a civil rights organization who will do our best to show you what works. So when we come up with a "formula", it will be yours to replicate in several milliseconds.

We do openly request that people try several approaches. The simple fact is that until someone documents a variable, it is unknown. We are openly asking some of you to help us by gambling your time and your treasure. Our exec members are also doing the same. But the more we get, the more chances we get to figure out the state, or frankly force them to address issues that they had not considered.

The permit returns are a gray area. We don't know what the hell they are thinking right now. Not sure they do, either. I have even dipped into conspiratorial areas myself on that one, but some are pulling back from the edge (thanks esq).

Point is, as a member you have a right to ask questions and get answers. That is not a negative thing. MSI is literally an organic group of thousands of like-minded individuals. We'd all be a bunch of whining gun nuts without each other.

Thanks for the support and the willingness to go for your rights.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Patrick - you are right.

Merlin - I offer my apologies to you if my misguided attempt at humoring with Mr. Gansler was taken as a swipe at you, sir. God knows, I certainly have very few answers to anything.

Not a problem my friend. I didn't think you meant anything by it. To be fair to you often I read the crap I write after I post it and it sounds much different than I meant it to or wanted to say.

And that's when I'm not doing the dumb a$$ thing of starting at the start of a thread and post a bunch of stuff everyone that has been in the post before me have already read over and over again.

Stay cool

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus

I bet all of this drove the AGs office and MSP leadership absolutely nuts! :lol2:

So in my mind no harm no foul.

jfox

Mar 27, 2012
    I didn't realize that we had a documented pre-stay denial. I didn't see that looking back in the thread. Any chance of getting it posted, or is it completely identical to the post stay denials?

I am making my plans for my appeal should the same happen, including obtaining legal representation going forward and possibly at the hearing, and it would be helpful in preparing for such as I may likely pursue the litigation path and pursuit of damages should counsel deem this viable and appropriate.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I didn't realize that we had a documented pre-stay denial. I didn't see that looking back in the thread. Any chance of getting it posted, or is it completely identical to the post stay denials?

I didn't see it either... but there was chatter that "off-channel" information was coming through. I'm guessing this was among that.

If MSI/SAF has that information, that's great. It may be a one-off, it may be something. The pros will know what to do with it.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

I am making my plans for my appeal should the same happen, including obtaining legal representation going forward and possibly at the hearing, and it would be helpful in preparing for such as I may likely pursue the litigation path and pursuit of damages should counsel deem this viable and appropriate.
    The one we got right now was actually received by MSP the day before the stay. Chances are the mail got opened a day late and he fell into the post-stay crowd by accident. So far we haven't seen any determined effort to deny/refuse to process pre-stay applications. I think this one got miscategorized.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The one we got right now was actually received by MSP the day before the stay. Chances are the mail got opened a day late and he fell into the post-stay crowd by accident. So far we haven't seen any determined effort to deny/refuse to process pre-stay applications. I think this one got miscategorized.

Interesting. Verrrry Interesting. I wonder if they don't have any authority to cut a state check as a refund. After all the $75 was unrefundable. Maybe they are hoisted on their own petard of regulations for the apps for which they cashed the check.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom