• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Braverifles

Jun 30, 2014
    Thanks everyone in advance and please forgive any ignorance, I'm new to this lol. Also my bad for any spelling mistakes I am currently in a guard tower in an undisclosed country. I'm making money hand over feet over this deployment and was planning on buying atleast one firearm up my return.

I grew up in MD in a family of non gun owners, although I have always been very supportive of second amendment rights. Since jointing the army have fell in love with firearms and want to own some since my job is centered around firearms. I joined the army at 18 (I'm now 19), I know that limits my options as far as outright gun ownership but I have a father that would likey put the weapons in his name and maintain them for me after I give him a class or two on the subject.

I plan on buying an ak47 or m1a when I get back, and some of my questions are as follows: - are these weapons legal to own in MD?
    -are they legal to buy in MD, and of not would it be kosher to buy them in PA or VA and bring them into MD?
    -what steps would I have to take paperwork wise to make sure everything is legal? I don't want to get a message from my chain of command asking why there's illegal weapons in my house back in MD.
    - what kind of holes are there to jump through as far as my dad passing on ownership to me when I turn 21?
    - since I'm in the military, do any laws change? I carry around an otherwise illegal sprig loaded knife while I'm home on leave and have been told that it's fine cause I'm in the Army (if it's not, shhh).
    - what precautions do I have to take in terms of gun storage in the house do I have to take (safes, etc)? My family lives in Baltimore county if that matters at all.
    -if I change my state if residence to TX (where I'm stationed) in irder to avoid state taxes, does that change gun ownership stipulations in MD? I would keep the guns in TX but gun laws in the army rival those of nazi germany if you live in the barracks.
    -is gunbroker.com reputable? I found some pretty sweet deals on there but don't want to end up with my identity stolen or some shit.

Again thanks in advance for the help. I know I could probably find these things out on my own but If rather skip over the legal texts and ask a community of knowledgeable people about this. Also feel free to include any information I might find useful apart from my questions.

P.S. Save the thank you for your service stuff. The thoughts are awfully nice but I haven't earned that. Save it for the guys who have lost their lives and their minds to war. GOD bless.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    You can no longer buy a semi auto M1A or AK-47 in Maryland or bring them into Maryland unless you owned them before last October because the politicians in Maryland screwed us over.

Oh, and welcome!

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    With all due respect, move to and pay taxes to a free state. This one is toast.
    I'm staying here and doing what I can to protect our freedoms, but MD sucks. You deserve better.
    I'll fight as long as I can and then I'll bail if I need to.
    We are good earners too, so suck it O'Malley!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    hell of a first post.
    Welcome to the free state: No, No, None, None, no. But not in that order. Ak's and M1a are not legal, unless you owned it prior to Oct 1, 2013.

I've bought off gun-broker (twice). It's like ebay - most sellers are reputable, but some not, go with someone with a lot of good good feedback. Ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pictures. Not always as good as a deal as it seems because of the transfer and shipping.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Unless your father owned the AK47 or M1A prior to October 1, 2013, there isn't a way for him (or any other MD resident) to possess/keep either rifle in the state of MD. If he owned them prior to this point, the only way that you could receive them would be via inheritance, which would hopefully be a very long wait of course. I wouldn't be surprised if the state tries to put up additional hoops when it comes to inheriting now "banned" firearms.

For these reasons and others, Texas would be a far better option if you wanted to purchase these rifles. Keep in mind, unless laws change, you would not be able to keep the firearms in MD if you moved back here because they will have been purchased after Sept 30, 2013.

In case MD proves to be the best option for you to move back for other reasons, there are still some rifle options that haven't been banned which you could purchase immediately as a 19-year old, including the Ruger Mini-14 (.223/5.56 caliber gun patterned on the M14, but nowhere near as accurate - fun nonetheless), Colt 6721 (heavy barrel AR15 - other heavy barrel AR variants from other manufacturers are also fine), VZ58/VZ2008 (7.62x39 gun that resembles an AK47, but has different internals - people seem pretty happy with them), Sig 556xi in 7.62x39, the M1 Garand (from CMP and elsewhere), and more. There is also pretty amazing innovation occurring within the state when it comes to pistols chambering .223/5.56 rounds, but you would have to wait until 21 years of age to get these (and get a handgun qualification license, HQL, first - takes less than 2 weeks - an impediment nonetheless). Please keep in mind that MD also has a 10 round mag limit now, for rifles and handguns. If out of state, you can purchase normal capacity mags (e.g. 30 round PMAGs), and bring them back to MD - but you can't buy them in state, order them from out of state to ship in state, permanently transfer to/from another party in state, etc.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks everyone in advance and please forgive any ignorance, I'm new to this lol. Also my bad for any spelling mistakes I am currently in a guard tower in an undisclosed country. I'm making money hand over feet over this deployment and was planning on buying atleast one firearm up my return.

I grew up in MD in a family of non gun owners, although I have always been very supportive of second amendment rights. Since jointing the army have fell in love with firearms and want to own some since my job is centered around firearms. I joined the army at 18 (I'm now 19), I know that limits my options as far as outright gun ownership but I have a father that would likey put the weapons in his name and maintain them for me after I give him a class or two on the subject.

I plan on buying an ak47 or m1a when I get back, and some of my questions are as follows: - are these weapons legal to own in MD? No.
    -are they legal to buy in MD, and of not would it be kosher to buy them in PA or VA and bring them into MD? No.
    -what steps would I have to take paperwork wise to make sure everything is legal? I don't want to get a message from my chain of command asking why there's illegal weapons in my house back in MD. See the two answers above, for the answer to this question. There are ZERO steps you can take. Sorry bud.
    - what kind of holes are there to jump through as far as my dad passing on ownership to me when I turn 21? You would inherit them, if he owned them before 10/1/2013.
    - since I'm in the military, do any laws change? I carry around an otherwise illegal sprig loaded knife while I'm home on leave and have been told that it's fine cause I'm in the Army (if it's not, shhh). If you are active duty, you do not need an HQL to buy a handgun.
    - what precautions do I have to take in terms of gun storage in the house do I have to take (safes, etc)? My family lives in Baltimore county if that matters at all. As long as a minor can not access the weapons, you are good to go. Personally, I'd buy a safe or a gun locker.
    -if I change my state if residence to TX (where I'm stationed) in irder to avoid state taxes, does that change gun ownership stipulations in MD? I would keep the guns in TX but gun laws in the army rival those of nazi germany if you live in the barracks. There are no changes to your gun owning stipulations, because you are still a MD resident. Essentially, you are screwed.
    -is gunbroker.com reputable? I found some pretty sweet deals on there but don't want to end up with my identity stolen or some shit. If you have that kind of fear, why are you considering buying off of there? Keep it simple and go your a local gun shop. Go see Wes at The Gun Shop in the 1600 Block of Eastern Ave. in Essex MD. He'll take care of you, just watch out if Applejack is on the counter.

Again thanks in advance for the help. I know I could probably find these things out on my own but If rather skip over the legal texts and ask a community of knowledgeable people about this. Also feel free to include any information I might find useful apart from my questions.

P.S. Save the thank you for your service stuff. The thoughts are awfully nice but I haven't earned that. Save it for the guys who have lost their lives and their minds to war. GOD bless.

My responses to your questions are in red.

When you get back, we can have a member meet up somewhere near you, to welcome you home properly. Also, it is so you can "cry" in your beer, when you hear how bad it has truly gotten for gun owners in MD.

I'm not going to thank you for your service, just yet. Instead, I will say this: Come home safe and with all of your friends safe. :patriot::mdpatriot

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome.

What Fidelity in particular said about your Md aproved (for now) options.

But with your current status of being Military , and your age, you're not trapped by an upsidedown mortage , kids in school , or fimishing up pension eligibility to retire. you have options other than remaining a Md resident. There are a number of states with more favorable tax policies and gun laws, become a resident of one.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Unless your father owned the AK47 or M1A prior to October 1, 2013, there isn't a way for him (or any other MD resident) to possess/keep either rifle in the state of MD. If he owned them prior to this point, the only way that you could receive them would be via inheritance, which would hopefully be a very long wait of course. I wouldn't be surprised if the state tries to put up additional hoops when it comes to inheriting now "banned" firearms.

For these reasons and others, Texas would be a far better option if you wanted to purchase these rifles. Keep in mind, unless laws change, you would not be able to keep the firearms in MD if you moved back here because they will have been purchased after Sept 30, 2013.

In case MD proves to be the best option for you to move back for other reasons, there are still some rifle options that haven't been banned which you could purchase immediately as a 19-year old, including the Ruger Mini-14 (.223/5.56 caliber gun patterned on the M14, but nowhere near as accurate - fun nonetheless), Colt 6721 (heavy barrel AR15 - other heavy barrel AR variants from other manufacturers are also fine), VZ58/VZ2008 (7.62x39 gun that resembles an AK47, but has different internals - people seem pretty happy with them), Sig 556xi in 7.62x39, the M1 Garand (from CMP and elsewhere), and more. There is also pretty amazing innovation occurring within the state when it comes to pistols chambering .223/5.56 rounds, but you would have to wait until 21 years of age to get these (and get a handgun qualification license, HQL, first - takes less than 2 weeks - an impediment nonetheless). Please keep in mind that MD also has a 10 round mag limit now, for rifles and handguns. If out of state, you can purchase normal capacity mags (e.g. 30 round PMAGs), and bring them back to MD - but you can't buy them in state, order them from out of state to ship in state, permanently transfer to/from another party in state, etc.

I like this option. Buy a Md. legal alternative in TX (where you can also buy proper mags and bring them back).

spcantwell

visitor from The PRM
    Ok, spin off question...
    I am coming down to MD this upcomeing weekend (eastern shore) and plan on bringing 2 shotguns down to do some sporting clays. My case holds 3 rifles so I plan on checking out the local shops and seeing if there are any long guns I want to bring home. With the change in Md laws in oct what does it take to buy long guns now adays? I do have a C&R so anything old I should still be good??

I plan on bringing enough ammo but is anything required for that? (sorry but the peoples republic is even worse then down there)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ok, spin off question...
    I am coming down to MD this upcomeing weekend (eastern shore) and plan on bringing 2 shotguns down to do some sporting clays. My case holds 3 rifles so I plan on checking out the local shops and seeing if there are any long guns I want to bring home. With the change in Md laws in oct what does it take to buy long guns now adays? I do have a C&R so anything old I should still be good??

I plan on bringing enough ammo but is anything required for that? (sorry but the peoples republic is even worse then down there)

Your shotguns are fine. Long guns are now just a 4473.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    some of us spent every penny of their IRAs, sold every ounce of gold in their safes, and most of the toys in their toyboxes, and still pay a HUGE mortgage on an empty house, to leave maryland. It breaks my heart to hear someone making plans to move TO maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom