• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    My compressor on my car died. Any recommendations for a shop around Howard county that won't rip me off.

Thanks.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    StThomas is a member on here and he has a shop in Laurel right on route 1. It is called Donoso. He is a really nice guy and a bunch of people on here have had a great experience with him.

As already mentioned, Eakle's on battery lane is pretty awesome. I took my truck there back in November because of uneven tire wear and noise coming from the tires. Tim drove the truck, told me that the passenger side ball joints needed to be replaced, that a wheel alignment would not fix the problem without replacing the ball joints, and that the noise from the tires was from the wear. He spoke to me for 10 minutes about the problem, and the plan of action was ball joint replacement and tire replacement, then alignment. I told him I didn't want to do the ball joints right now, and that I would probably do them myself in a month or so. He charged me $25 for the diagnostic. I also informed him that he never returned my e-mail back in February 2013 regarding a firearm transfer, and we both got a smile out of that one and he apologized. Ended up replacing the ball joints, the steering damper, and rotating the tires, and the difference is awesome. No alignment needed.

I had taken my truck to him a couple years before that, to have some tires mounted and balanced and an alignment done. I had gotten the tires from Tire Rack. Everything said and done, he was awesome to deal with and it cost me just under $200.

Only complaint about the shop is that it is pretty much normal business hours during the week. Not really a big complaint since I just drop the spare car off there the night before and then drive it home after dropping the truck off. Then, I go and pay for the work that is done, and my wife and I drive over there in the evening to pick up the truck.

Also, as already mentioned, do the work yourself. That is what I would do. Granted, AC work requires a couple of higher dollar tools, like a vacuum to make sure there is no moisture in the system. Refrigerant recovery is also an issue. Then, a set of hoses and gauges to put the refrigerant back in the system. I used to be scared of HVAC systems, but I overcame that fear about 4 years ago.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    OP, is it the actual compressor or just the A/C compressor clutch? Huge difference between the two. The A/C compressor clutch can be replaced somewhat easily without having to evacuate the system and recharge it. If the clutch goes bad, the belt will break. If the compressor breaks, the car should still run as long as you do not engage the compressor clutch via AC or defrost. If the compressor is locked up, the clutch should still spin freely and the car should run as long as you do not turn on the AC or defrost.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    you know it's like 17 degrees out right now

Don't know if that comment means the AC is not needed, or that it is insane to work on a car in this weather. Removed the battery from my Taurus and zero turn mower last night and it was brutal, but the car was outside and the mower was in the garage at midnight.

However, I have worked on vehicles when it is this cold. Granted, inside the garage with a kerosene heater going.

As far as the AC is concerned, the compressor is usually engaged when the windshield defroster is being used. So, if the compressor or the AC clutch is bad, no defroster without breaking the serpentine belt. Actually, the defrost wouldn't work even if you turned it on, but the belt would break.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    StThomas is a member on here and he has a shop in Laurel right on route 1. It is called Donoso. He is a really nice guy and a bunch of people on here have had a great experience with him.

Thanks for the nice words Fabs, but I closed down the Laurel shop and am back in Silver Spring.
    If anyone needs something in the downtown Silver Spring area give me a call.
    Rossi's Automotive 301-495-0188

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom