• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    Mine took a dump Easter Sunday. I went to Lowe's in Easton and had to get a shorter/wider propane tank as it was the ONLY one they had. Other places didn't even carry propane units. Anywho, I had to lengthen the pipes (used flex), extend the flue pipe and get a new stand. All done for $805, and that was a more expensive unit than I went to get. A simple job if you look at it.

I should also add that the different sized tank was about $150 more than the one I went to get (out of stock), and lengthening connections raised the $. If you get the same size you have, it will be less $$. I'm sure if you can't do it, a neighbor has a few times.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I looked at a bunch of heaters and none exactly the same size. So with gas lines and duct work it's more than any of my friends can do. Plus now having to add expansion tank makes for more space rearranging.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    New codes require the expansion tanks when on city water supply. When on well water (probably more rare for the city folk) the exiting well bladder tank acts as the expansion tank and is not needed.

For anyone needing a new water heater on 04/16/15 the government is implementing changes. This will mean mainly the physical size will increase to meet the new insulation requirements. The new water heaters will be 2”-3” larger in height and diameter. And no more tanks larger than 55 gallons can be made. I would also expect the price to go up as well. Basically if you think you will need one soon now is the time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    New codes require the expansion tanks when on city water supply. When on well water (probably more rare for the city folk) the exiting well bladder tank acts as the expansion tank and is not needed.

For anyone needing a new water heater on 04/16/15 the government is implementing changes. This will mean mainly the physical size will increase to meet the new insulation requirements. The new water heaters will be 2”-3” larger in height and diameter. And no more tanks larger than 55 gallons can be made.
    I would also expect the price to go up as well. Basically if you think you will need one soon now is the time.

:shocked3:

When our 50 gallon water heater crapped out, I replaced it with an 80 gallon heater, and moved it to better location in our basement.

WHY are >55 gallon heaters being banned?????? That's bovine scatology.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Right or wrong, the powers that be deem storing more than 50 gallons of hot water and maintaining it at temperature consumes too much energy. Just like a car must produce less emissions every few years.

What is strange is to my knowledge there is not a 55 gal in existence. Or at least not in common production. It goes 50, 65 then 80 gal. So they are basically banning anything above 50 gallons. I suspect the industry will make a 55 gallon in the future, but that, like all this will cost the manufactures money in retooling. Unfortunately, that will be passed on to the consumer.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Nothing wrong with RAS syndrome,
    PDF format
    VIN number
    PIN number
    ATM machine
    LCD display
    and frickin HOT WATER HEATER

I hate grammar Nazis:D
    blues-brothers-nazi.jpg

Does hot water heater fall into that? It's not an acronym :shrug:

do you really not get this?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    And so it begins...

U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary Steven Chu announced in April of 2010 that the Department had finalized higher energy efficiency standards for a key group of heating appliances that will together save consumers up to $10 billion and prevent the release of up to 164 million metric tons of carbon dioxide

http://contractormag.com/residentia...andards-residential-water-heaters-are-horizon

So the federal government is allowed to tell you what kind of hot water heater you can have based on it's carbon emissions.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Right or wrong, the powers that be deem storing more than 50 gallons of hot water and maintaining it at temperature consumes too much energy. Just like a car must produce less emissions every few years.

What is strange is to my knowledge there is not a 55 gal in existence. Or at least not in common production. It goes 50, 65 then 80 gal. So they are basically banning anything above 50 gallons. I suspect the industry will make a 55 gallon in the future, but that, like all this will cost the manufactures money in retooling. Unfortunately, that will be passed on to the consumer.

Yep, peeps will just do what they most likely already do, spend more money and run parallel water heaters.

Swaged

May 30, 2011
    North of North Laurel
    ILLEGAL !! BANNED !! OUTLAWED !!

As of 04/16/2015 No-Knock warrants will be issued for ANY suspected
    un-permitted or non-compliant HWH in use across the U.S. and its territories.

If found in violation of said law, the responsible owner/occupier, immediate
    family, and 3 generations beneath will lose all rights with regard to
    Ammendments 1A, 2A, and 4A of the Constitution of the U.S.A.

Anyone believing/repeating the above couple sentences should have all their
    keyboard priviledges revoked !!

The long of it....
    Webinair from Contractor Magazine -
    http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/default/files/videos/naeca-video.php

in pictures
    http://www.statewaterheaters.com/images/naeca/NAECA_Builder_Brochure.pdf

manufacturers stop making old style 04/15/2015
    retailers can sell any in-stock indefinitely
    55 gal? instead of saying 50 or below and 60 or above.
    banned? no, discontinued. above 55gal will be heat pump technology. $xpensive

The energy factor for a 40gal gas I looked at was .59 and next up was .62
    a couple years ago.
    1" xtra insulation was $165 more.
    I bought a water heater blanket at Lowes for $22.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I wonder...
    If we smothered all the liberals, how much CO2 could we prevent from getting into the atmosphere?

Funny how all the rich liberal muckety mucks go to Davos to discuss global warming and pollution yet the Gulfstreams were parked as far as the eye could see. Shame there are no commercial flights to Davos. It's like Al Gore telling me to what to drive and turn down my heat while he cavorts around in a fleet of large SUV's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom