• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    PA does not tax you up front like MD does, they tax you in funny little ways that add up fast. Car inspection every year, gas prices are higher, commutes are longer, county/borough/township fees ect. But you can get a CCW easy. Just move to Virginia. Plus, pennsylvanias can be weird. I grew up and spent most of my life there. I'll stay here or move south.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    My brother has less than a 1/4 acre barely 3 bed 1.5 bath house in Essex and pays more in property taxes than I do on a 2500sq ft rancher on over 1/2 an acre here in Delta Pa. Some of my neighbors even have ridiculous school tax because they got their house appraised to some stupid high value during the bubble. Taxes here are based on millage rates. You can look up the chart online and get the millage rates for each individual school district. My taxes are in the 3200 a year neighborhood on a 150k dollar house.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    It is similar to MD but just broken up in to two taxes(school & real estate) while MD just makes it all one. They aren't that much different in taxes compared to some counties in MD. I have properties in Dallastown Area school district and it is a highly well rated district. Taxes total aren't bad at all.

Whatever I pay in State Taxes I have to give Montgomery County about 70% of that. Then I get to pay real estate taxes which are huge. and work out to be about 550 a month. It is not reasonable to decide to retire in the PDR of Maryland.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    PA does not tax you up front like MD does, they tax you in funny little ways that add up fast. Car inspection every year, gas prices are higher, commutes are longer, county/borough/township fees ect. But you can get a CCW easy. Just move to Virginia. Plus, pennsylvanias can be weird. I grew up and spent most of my life there. I'll stay here or move south.

True they can be. OFTEN they say "excuse me" if they bump into you...... especially at the gunshows.

I have noticed a difference between shopping in N York Co vs S. York Co. :shrug: Wally World York Vs Wally World Newberry, world of difference.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My parents have lived in the Allentown area (Lehigh Valley) since the early seventies. Wasn't so bad then. School taxes got so high that they had to bump them out as a separate tax bill. Sucks but you can still buy the gun of your dreams with no hassle!!!

Md Designated Collector
    Ret Army MSG
    VFW/AL member
    NRA member
    Registered Voter

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Plus, pennsylvanias can be weird

Yes, I am weird for moving to MD since my entire family lives in PA and I was born and raised there for the first 30 years of my life. I miss the little hometowns, community events, and caring individuals that I don't see in my neck of the woods now. I should have my head examined!:lol2:

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    Yes, I am weird for moving to MD since my entire family lives in PA and I was born and raised there for the first 30 years of my life. I miss the little hometowns, community events, and caring individuals that I don't see in my neck of the woods now. I should have my head examined!:lol2:

You must have had a different expirence growing up in PA then me and my wife. and most of the people I've grown up with. I miss the country side, the fishing and cute towns, but that's about where it ends. I had a fairly good childhood but leaving and traveling the county gave me a perspective of how "nice" PA is. I grew up in a steel town. Not unlike most of the steel towns in PA. Maybe if I grew up on the Main Line or lived on a 200 acre farm I would have better memories of PA mountain country.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Yeah, different area than me. I grew up in Dallastown, PA York county. I used to hunt in Potter county, PA with my dad and that place was like another country up there. York County has changed over the years also.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

That always bugged me about PA. They were always showing up and hitting you with a tax you didn't know existed. Of course, you were expected to pay the back taxes for what you missed.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    Yeah, different area than me. I grew up in Dallastown, PA York county. I used to hunt in Potter county, PA with my dad and that place was like another country up there. York County has changed over the years also.

Yeh York is kinda ghetto, my cousin just moved because he could not get the drug dealers from selling on his street

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Yeh York is kinda ghetto, my cousin just moved because he could not get the drug dealers from selling on his street

There has always been a lot of drugs in York city. I worked at the Prison from 93 to 96 and drugs would flow through york as a midway point for New York and DC/Baltimore. They would commit a crime in York and be found either in New York or DC/Baltimore area.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good luck in PA.

I was listening to a Lancaster area station while on the road yesterday and I heard news about some politician, recently elected on his platform of not increasing taxes, and he was propsing an increase on income and sales tax...claiming it was to avoid an increase in property tax. :sad20:

Because spending the same as before or less is never an option. Shake the money tree.

New Dem Governor is pushing his crooked budget. Basically cuts school tax to $0 in poor(aka democrat) areas, claims to reduce it in others, but seems inversely proportional to income surprise suprise, raises sales and income tax, increases taxes on the booming Natural gas industry, and includes the largest budget increase in history, all to reinstate a $1 billion dollar previous "cut" to schools , basically the spending didn't increase as fast as the dems wanted aka "ZOMG REPUBLICANS CUT THE SCHOOL BUDGET, THINK OF THE CHILDREN". Both houses increased their republican majorities last election, so it won't happen, probably not the point, just a way to get out of context soundbites and declare republicans hate kids and the poor, while backing those evil employers.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The other good thing is that PA. does not tax your retirement income. Any 1099R is exemp from state income tax. Possible incentive for me to move back home since I'm ret Army and Fed. The Gettysburg area is a decent area and so is the Lincoln Highway between US15 and I81.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    BUT............. lower property taxes.

not exactly

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/03/113_pennsylvania_school_distri.html

basically sales tax increases 10% and expands to dozens of items previously not taxed. Income tax increases 20% permanently. In exchange the state increases their portion of funding to primarily city schools dropping their school tax to nothing while doing practically nothing for wealthier suburban schools. It is also just an increase in funding that doesn't relate directly toschool tax deductions, nothing would keep schools from increasing budgets, or increasing school taxes despite the changes. It's flat out redistribution of wealth, and complete crap, stealing our money to buy democrat votes and throw money at the worst schools in the state, hopefully the legislature holds the line and kills it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom