• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I don't hunt. Nothing against it at all I just don't do it.

I DO, however, what to shoot clay pigeons. I bought an expensive auto clay pigeon shooting since I really have no one to go with me. I have a semi-auto Remington VersaMax Tactical with a 22" barrel (not ideal I know but it's what I have for now).

I just want some pointers on:
    How to get started practicing to hit clay pigeons.
    What choke type I should use?
    What ammo?
    Throwing distance and angle (since these can be adjusted on the machine).

Really just let your knowledge flow. I'm a sponge right now since I know little to nothing about it. No bit of information is too small for me. Assume I know nothing (I shoot handguns and rifles regularly though).

Thank you in advance for your time.

Scarab

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    point and shoot ;)

Whats fun about shooting clays is its a moving target. I used a modified choke on my 870. The cheap bird shot from walmart in 100 rd pack I think it 7shot.

Depending on which way and how far the clay flys is where/how you will shoot. If it fly's straight out away from you I put the bead on the clay and shoot, if its angling across from right to left or left to right I aim a little ahead of the clay. Its helpful to have someone with you and tell you if you are too far ahead or behind when shooting at clays.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    point and shoot ;)

Whats fun about shooting clays is its a moving target. I used a modified choke on my 870. The cheap bird shot from walmart in 100 rd pack I think it 7shot.

Depending on which way and how far the clay flys is where/how you will shoot. If it fly's straight out away from you I put the bead on the clay and shoot, if its angling across from right to left or left to right I aim a little ahead of the clay. Its helpful to have someone with you and tell you if you are too far ahead or behind when shooting at clays.
    Its lead..shoot and follow through.

Can't really point at moving target. Lol

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    You should come to the CCGC when the guys here at MDS have a get together. They suckered me into the sport of trap. Lots of guys willing to help out.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    If you really want to learn wing shooting go to PG Trap & Skeet or maybe Loch Raven and take a learn to shoot class. Try all the clay target games see which one appeals to you.
    Then go out and purchase nice O/U.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Its all about the same alignment of your eyes, arms and shotgun while moving.

Dont forget to keep your next straight.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Here's a question since the OP and I are kind of in the same boat. I have a 22" tactical semi-auto shotgun, is it and the Versamax Tactical appropriate for something like Sporting Clays, versus Trap/Skeet?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You could easily break targets in all three disciplines with 22". Its an unorthodox length barrel for all of them.

I've never shot at a place that had barrel length rules except maybe Loch Raven, more rural you get the more people just like seeing you spending money to shoot at their club.

elbert

Aug 22, 2013
    here
    PG T&S and Bull Run both have minimum barrel length of 23"

However, I don't know how strict they are about that. A 22" one might be close enough.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Its lead..shoot and follow through.

Can't really point at moving target. Lol

Oh, you can point. Not the best way to get the job done and it is the prayer method, but you can do it. Point to a spot in the sky, pray the bird flies that way, and pull the trigger as the bird approaches. I've seen it done, with very, very, very bad results.

Now, this is more for the OP:

There are several different ways to shoot clays. I use a sustained lead method on the clays that are way the heck out there, and a follow through method on the ones that are up close.

Follow through method means you mount the gun, start swinging from behind the target, catch up to the target, and pull the trigger as you get in front of the target. Exactly how long you wait to pull the trigger depends on how far out the bird is and what the angle is like. The more the bird is going away from you, the less lead needed. If the bird is at a perpendicular angle to you, then you need a crapload of lead.

Sustained lead is just that. You start swinging in front of the bird with an established amount of lead and then pull the trigger.

The important thing to remember is to keep your head on the stock when you pull the trigger and to follow through. Do not pick your head up off the stock to see the bird break. If it is still flying through the air, you missed it. If there is no bird to be seen, you hit it.

I'd start with straight out goers and then start angling them a little, a little more, a little more, and then even more. The good thing about your situation OP is that you can shoot the same target over and over and over again until you understand how to break it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    PG T&S and Bull Run both have minimum barrel length of 23"

However, I don't know how strict they are about that. A 22" one might be close enough.

If you do not act like an imbecile, nobody will say anything at 22" of length at PG Trap & Skeet. I've had people use my 22" Beretta 391 youth 20 gauge and not a peep from anybody at PG Trap & Skeet.

Now, pistol grips are a little harder to get away with, but it can be done.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    No pistol grip on mine, but Bull Run does have a 23" minimum barrel length, which is annoying. I have an appropriate length SxS shotgun I can use, but would like some time on moving clays with my 3-Gun shotgun. I'll be calling Bull Run tomorrow about the beginner class so I can shoot there.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    As a total beginner it might be a good idea to contact Jack Bart at Bart's Sports World and meet at LR for a lesson or 2. This would stop you from developing any bad habits that are always hard to break as time goes on. It's always easier to teach a beginner at almost any sport than someone who has bad habits that need to be corrected. JMHO

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You DO point, you do NOT aim.

With shotgun shooting on moving targets, you unlearn all you learned about shooting rifles and pistols.

You focus on the TARGET, not the sight.

You PULL the trigger, not squeeze it.

As for choke, it depends on the distance you are shooting the target. If you are using a typical personal thrower, you will use IC to Mod. 7 1/2 or 8 shot, in a basic target load.

But I agree with the advice to go take a lesson. One lesson will get you started right and prevent having to unlearn bad habits. The lesson will also present you with a variety of targets, not just outgoing targets.

PG T&S also allows you to rent a more suitable shotgun for the lesson. Or it might be included in the a beginner course. And part of the lesson SHOULD include shotgun fit. Your gun to you or picking the right fit from their guns.

BTW, I am a National Sporting Clays Association certifed Level 1 instructor.

Feb 28, 2013
    Trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole of clays shooting, I have enough expensive hobbies without throwing in $5000+ OU shotguns into the mix.

Thankfully, I do it infrequently enough to where a Browning BPS or Weatherby PA-08 is plenty of gun.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    You do not need a 5k gun to shoot clay sports although I do own a few. I've run 25 with a Winchester 97 and a field Model 12. Clays is not the gun but the proficient use of the gun. One of my favorite sporting clays guns is a vintage Browning A5 with a 26" fixed imp cyl barrel, last time out ran the first 5 stations before I missed, it just works.
    Back to the OP, when the weather improves I would be happy to meet you at AGC during public trap and teach you the basics with your gun,as long as it has a full stock you are ok. I've done this with other forum members and several have gone on to really enjoy the clay sports. Then after getting some basics you can decide if you want to upgrade to a more appropriate clays gun.
    Fair warning,it gets both addictive and expensive.

senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    Here's a question since the OP and I are kind of in the same boat. I have a 22" tactical semi-auto shotgun, is it and the Versamax Tactical appropriate for something like Sporting Clays, versus Trap/Skeet?

It's fine but you should be able to find a 28" plus barrel at a show or a LGS. You could even try gunbroker if you were not having luck locally. MOD chokes are probably best overall chokes while learning and shooting trap, skeet, and SC's. If you fall in love with skeet get a skeet or IC choke. Full is probably better for trap, but chokes really won't matter until you have multiple rounds under your belt.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's fine but you should be able to find a 28" plus barrel at a show or a LGS. You could even try gunbroker if you were not having luck locally. MOD chokes are probably best overall chokes while learning and shooting trap, skeet, and SC's. If you fall in love with skeet get a skeet or IC choke. Full is probably better for trap, but chokes really won't matter until you have multiple rounds under your belt.

New barrels for the FN and VersaMax are $500. My FN is coming with an IC and Cylinder choke. I'm getting a Mod and rifled choke from Briley this spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom