So...looks like I may be moving back to WV...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    So what is the best place to shoot in that area?

Public outdoor?

Pleasants Creek WMA between Philippi and Grafton. Goes out to 200.

White Horse is both public AND private between Buckhannon and Clarksburg. Public goes out to 100, Private to 1000. Private is $10/day, $60/yr.

Stonewall WMA is over by Stonewall Jackson Lake... Never been there myself.

Indoor? McFly Outdoors over towards Buckhannon.

Outdoor private? There are a number of newer "ranges" that have popped up over the past several years, but I've only ever gone to White Horse.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Sweet.

I'm sure with as much as my wife and I are used to driving and stuff here, we'll be in Clarksburg or Morgantown pretty much weekly, so Fairmont would work too!

It is literally right off of 79, behind the Exxon at the E Fairmont exit, maybe? I stopped in once and it seemed pretty nice. They are also an ATV performance shop (weird combo). Prices on firearms weren't as good as Second Amendment in Morgantown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    So what is the best place to shoot in that area?

There is an outdoor range up Files Creek, at the Izaak Walton League, Mountaineer Chapter. One would have to join IWLA or the Tygart Valley Muzzleloaders I believe. Maybe 15-20 minutes from Elkins. That chapter also owns 800 or so acres of land that is open to it's members for hunting too. IWLA membership is $50.00/year.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I was at the sheriffs department and the girl on the front desk complained that people can't find a place to get pistol trained. She even wanted to get trained and she asked me if I was giving classes. I told her I didn't even have a range. So thank you.

Why I posted this I checked the NRA website and all the people I called had disconnected phones and dead e mails. Where do these people get trained? I was think about taking the lady from the sherifs derartnent with my wife to Pleasant Creek for training.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Strategically, and on soooo many fronts, it would appear to me that doing so (assisting someone in that position within the community) would be very wise move . . . not to mention a good thing to do, regardless of the lady's job title :thumbsup:

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I was at the sherifs department and the girl on the front desk complained that people can't find a place to get pistol trained. She even wanted to get trained and she asked me if I was giving classes. I told her I didn't even have a range. So thank you.

Why I posted this I checked the NRA website and all the people I called had disconnected phones and dead e mails. Where do these people get trained? I was think about taking the lady from the sherifs derartnent with my wife to Pleasant Creek for training.

I took my training down in Alderson, WV with Pat Goodale at Practical Firearms Training. A bit of a trip but well worth the experience.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Strategically, and on soooo many fronts, it would appear to me that doing so (assisting someone in that position within the community) would be very wise move . . . not to mention a good thing to do, regardless of the lady's job title :thumbsup:
    I agree and I will probably do that when the weather gets better. I had a white out today and I could not see my fire pit 20 yards from the house. All in all the weather here has been better than Baltimore County. We are bracing for the sub zero weather and 36 below wind chill. Defiantly dangerous, broke out my Wisconsin gear.

Did I say I love this place. I love this place.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Well I put my notice in at work yesterday. Last day is next Friday. I move the weekend of the 14th/15th and start the new job that Monday, March 16. I went home last weekend and squared away my housing. Found a little 2BR 1BA dog-friendly house with a fenced in back yard, in town, just a few minutes from work.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm so jealous. We are under water about 20-grand in our house right now. Wife is bugging to move and keeps finding houses we should not afford. At best we are 4 years out from getting out of debt and having 20% saved up. We'll be lucky to walk away from our house with zero cost.

Ideally I would love to live out in the hills and do tele-work IT consulting. Dream big right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom