• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I managed to pick up some powder. (IMR4198) and looking at the manufacture site, they don't list a starting load amount. They show a MAX of 11gr.

I want it to cycle in an ar15 (carbine gas system) but never like pushing the max as it just.. sounds more than I need/want.

The question is, does anyone know what to do in this case? I was thinking of taking it down to 9gr, then testing in 1/2 gr steps till it cycles consistently and stabilizes.

I don't want to go TOO low though...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    10% off max load is typically a safe starting load. There is usually a notation to that effect on the website. That would put you at 9.9 grains starting.

Pretty narrow range, that is heavy for caliber bullet. What are the expected velocities?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have 2 manuals (lyman and hornady). Neither one list that powder, which is why I went to the manufacture of powder.

No harm in trying 9 grains.

Either it will cycle or it won't.

Getting cycling and stabilization to mesh may prove difficult.

You will have a very small window between cycling and not cycling.

Stabilization will have to be what it is.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Almost no one lists starting load for 300blk subsonic, just a "max". If you look at the pressure on hodgdons website for the 208gr in your powder: 11gr equals 20,200cup. **WAY** under the pressure limit of the barrel. Most 300blk sub loads don't stress the barrel at all. The max is usually somewhere around the max you can get into the case w/ a huge bullet. I load 1680 w/ 220gr SMKs. Im pretty sure the "max" load is compressed when you seat the bullet to the suggested OAL. I don't think there is any harm in starting at the max load for THIS application.

Edit: max saami pressure for the 300blk is 55ksi. cup and psi are roughly equivalent, so the max load is nearly a THIRD the pressure a load can safely exert. Mouse farts;)

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Hodgdon start point for (SUBS) is listed as max as the starting point then reduce. I could see it confusing to a newb.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I managed to pick up some powder. (IMR4198) and looking at the manufacture site, they don't list a starting load amount. They show a MAX of 11gr.

I want it to cycle in an ar15 (carbine gas system) but never like pushing the max as it just.. sounds more than I need/want.

The question is, does anyone know what to do in this case? I was thinking of taking it down to 9gr, then testing in 1/2 gr steps till it cycles consistently and stabilizes.

I don't want to go TOO low though...
    Loading subs is done backwards from loading normal ammo... start with the max load listed and slowly work your way down. If you go too low, you may stick a boolit in the barrel, thus you start with the listed max and work down (I use a chrono to ensure my velocities are matching up to load data specs and to verify that I am actually getting subsonic velocities). Usually in my experience, the max loads will be above subsonic velocities and you have to work down a grain or two to get subsonic speeds.

If it doesn't cycle at the max listed load, then you probably need a different powder (read AA1680).

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Ahhh. Starting at max n going DOWN. Yes. I'm use to going min and working up.

The silver lining in it not cycling is.... You can find you brass easier!

Thanks for clearing up the "work down".

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Loading subs is done backwards from loading normal ammo... start with the max load listed and slowly work your way down. If you go too low, you may stick a boolit in the barrel, thus you start with the listed max and work down (I use a chrono to ensure my velocities are matching up to load data specs and to verify that I am actually getting subsonic velocities). Usually in my experience, the max loads will be above subsonic velocities and you have to work down a grain or two to get subsonic speeds.

If it doesn't cycle at the max listed load, then you probably need a different powder (read AA1680).

Pretty much this! IMR 4198 is a good powder for heavy subsonics and should work for you with the 208 grain Amax. I wouldn't go any lighter on the bullets with that powder though. 4198 sweet spot is beneath a 220 grain or better projectile.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I tried a load out the other day 10.7 H110 with the 208 @ 2.230" going 1200fps out of an 8.5" barrel.

Might be able to use it as a data point.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Without, I always make sure a load fires a stable bullet before firing them through a suppressor.

Signo

Jul 10, 2011
    Cecil County
    I use this combo extensively.

208 Amax
    10.5g IMR 4198
    COAL 2.230
    KVB 223 Primers
    Converted LC cases sized in RCBS Small Base Die

My rifle is 9 inch AAC upper with pistol length gas and 1/7 twist.I get BHO on last round and it cycles perfect with or without my 762SDN6. I had a few go super on a really cold day a few weeks back, but my Dillon throws powder a little inconsistent sometimes, so it might of been a hotter load. I dont have a Crono so I am not sure about exact speed. (Its on my list of things to get)

Carbine length gas system is going to change things a little but you should get a good starting point. This load was worked up from a thread on 300 blktalk on alternate powders.

I am currently working on a load using 4198 and Nosler 190g custom competitions, early testing has been successful with this combo also. This combo is a little tighter window on powder charge to stay subsonic.

If you work on this combo you should have pretty easy success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom