Luger 1914 commercial - holster ID help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    A family member was at a coin/collectibles shop of all places (not in MD) that had what they claim to be a Luger 1914 commercial in 9mm "with an original holster." It doesn't look like any Luger holster I've ever seen, but maybe one of you would know what it is?

This is the pistol:

nFU4smdl.jpg

And this is the accompanying holster:

5F5H4Kgl.jpg

The owner is very upfront that he isn't very knowledgeable in firearms and accessories, so I didn't press for more information too hard (was over the phone anyway). The leather looks to be in way too good condition to be from 1914, the holster doesn't have the traditional fold-over flap, and doesn't look like it closes at the barrel. Is there any chance this is a period-correct or 'original' holster?

As a bonus question, any thoughts on the condition of the finish? The other side matches the finish of that pictured.

Thanks! :)

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    The pistol is not original finish and has been buffed and reblued. I would need pictures of the top and left side to get a good date but it looks like a commercial from the one picture you posted. It does have an imperial era magazine.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Here's the most similar thing I can find. Abercrombie & Fitch used to sell a similar looking holster for the Lugers they also sold. This 428 model holster made by Heisler didn't have a retention strap. However, Heisler did make other holsters of a similar style which did have a retention strap. I don't know much about these, but just judging from the images of holsters from the Abercrombie & Fitch catalogs, I guess this could be period correct, at least for the 1930's.

http://www.landofborchardt.com/images/article/1910AF/lh1.jpg
    http://www.landofborchardt.com/1910AF_holster.html

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    God damn you guys are awesome (and fast). Knew it was too good to be true, I'm glad I listened to my better judgment and deferred to all of your experience :)

Guthook: Good eye, that is the closest I've seen this evening with the horizontal loop around the barrel part of the holster. Unfortunately I won't be asking anyone to go back and take a second look because I no longer am interested in purchasing it after easytarget's comment.

Ken792: It looks very similar, but all the A&F designs I was able to Google don't seem to have the horizontal loop? Also, today I learned that A&F made holsters! Crazy.

Easytarget18: Well that kind of ruins the collector status of the pistol... still a really neat piece I'd love to have in my growing collection, but not for the price they are asking. Thank you for pointing it out.

You are all awesome, thanks!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The pistol is not original finish and has been buffed and reblued. I would need pictures of the top and left side to get a good date but it looks like a commercial from the one picture you posted. It does have an imperial era magazine.

This ^^^, picked that reblue out immediately.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    The gun's definitely refinished. Color's all wrong, and the sharp edges and tool marks up by the "ears" have been buffed out.

This. Also the quickest way to tell on a early Luger is when all the small parts that are supposed to be "straw" color are a nice dark shade of blue (the magazine release in this one is a prime example). A shame, since if it is a 1914 Commercial it is a rather scarce Luger.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    This. Also the quickest way to tell on a early Luger is when all the small parts that are supposed to be "straw" color are a nice dark shade of blue (the magazine release in this one is a prime example). A shame, since if it is a 1914 Commercial it is a rather scarce Luger.

Thanks for letting me know how to spot it myself - I appreciate it when people take their time to teach as well as inform!

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks for letting me know how to spot it myself - I appreciate it when people take their time to teach as well as inform!

That is just one of the ways to tell and it only applies to early Lugers (ones before 1936 I believe). Sometimes on the better restored ones they will restraw the small pieces as well which makes it more challenging.

On a side note his $1000 asking price is not necessarily out of line (since it is an asking price). Average price I see for "shooter" P08's is between 750-850 depending on condition. If you were looking for a collector's piece (expect about $1300-$1500 to get into the collector grade market), this is obviously not that. If you want one to shoot and the owner is willing to negotiate some, you may want to take a look. I would also research the holster a little more.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    That is just one of the ways to tell and it only applies to early Lugers (ones before 1936 I believe). Sometimes on the better restored ones they will restraw the small pieces as well which makes it more challenging.

On a side note his $1000 asking price is not necessarily out of line (since it is an asking price). Average price I see for "shooter" P08's is between 750-850 depending on condition. If you were looking for a collector's piece, this is obviously not that. If you want one to shoot and the owner is willing to negotiate some, you may want to take a look. I would also research the holster a little more.

I definitely would if I were there to inspect it and verify matching parts and whatnot, but since the guy is on the other side of the country I'll just let this one slide :)

Someday I'll get one... someday...

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    If you are looking at Lugers I can't recommend these forums enough:

http://www.lugerforum.com/
    http://luger.gunboards.com/activity.php

The folks that hang out on these sites are top notch and know literally everything there is to know about Lugers. A good number of them are noted authors on the subject. Lugers are one of those areas that you need to do your homework in order to not make a expensive mistake (been down that road).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom