Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I figured there was some miss communication in there some where. :thumbsup:

So to sum it up, ZQI (7.62x51) is GTG at the NRA range. :D

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Ok, here is a complaint, it is in Fairfax, Virginia. Distance isn't the issue, not far from me at all, it is I-66 that is a cluster**** anytime of the day.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

HomeShooting Range ServicesNRA Headquarters Range › Hours of Operation Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services 162

Hours of Operation
    The NRA Range is open to the general public.

Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
    Monday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    Tuesday Closed for Action Events
    Wednesday 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 pmm.
    Friday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m
    Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 pm.

Last edited:

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I've shot 7.62x54r non Magnetic [PPU] ammo at MSAR and no problems.
    As long as it's not pulling a magnet and is smaller than say .50 cal I believe the rifle range allows it. However, that Rifle room is pretty small and big caliber guns make big noises [double ear protection recommended].

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County

Attachments

• search.gif
      search.gif
      43.3 KB · Views: 296

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I have a few gripes, I won't get into the minor problems that I personally have had with the RSO in the past. Those guys have since moved on. There professionalism was never the issue, just seemed that they badgered people about very minor things, and never really could explain themselves or their actions. Anyway, let the bashing begin:

• No shooting at human silhouette styled targets
    • No photography (that's what I do, so it's a biggie for me)
    • Travel distance
    • Limited to 50 yards

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My only sort of bash is fro YEARS ago, just after it opened.

They required that you take THEIR safety course, and pass the written test. At the time my wife and I were both NRA Certified Pistol and Personal Protection Instructors. They still required that we take the course and pass the test.

If you don't trust your own certified instructors to know the safety rules, why do you certify them???????

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They even make you take a short written safety test prior to allowing you to shoot the first time. You are then issued an NRA Range Card.

Nothing wrong with CYA when you're the 800 lb Gorilla of gun safety.

A short written test would have been fine. In the past, they made you take their safety class.

Taught by people with the same credentials (NRA Certified Instructors) as I had at the time. :sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's now the equivalent of an open book test. They give you a handout to read. The test questions come from the handout. If you can't pass that, you probably shouldn't be shooting. (Or driving for that matter.)

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I was there last night, the staff was good, the shooters were having a good time, I saw no safety violations, I heard no complaints. Nonetheless Route 66 is the quickest way for me to get there. So for a Marylander the best time to go there is in mid-morning rush hour for their opening at 8 a.m., or if you are in western Virginia or West Virginia during the day to catch them in afternoon rush hour on your way home.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is what I do. I go on Monday or Friday first thing. Traffic is moderate but moving at that hour coming from Bethesda and the range is usually not full when it opens.

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    More ROs at other ranges could learn.

I think that if there was more watching over the shoulder, there would be fewer of the Yahoos at the ranges that do unsafe things. I know that i have thought that i would like to be an RO at the ElkNeck range but i dont get there anough to be that much help.. I do remind myself and others when i am there and see that they are aware, just need a little reminder of the rules.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Seems like the minor complaints people have were mostly taken care of. The range safety thing is a n open book test basically. If you can read and copy information down you should be able to pass it.

You can shoot from holster, but only on the hip, nothing behind the hip and probably not appendix. Ccw is the same. They do now allow you to shoot at human silhouette targets. They even sell them now.

My only gripe is that they are just a tad anal. I have rifles in my case facing opposite ways. In order to Take them out I have to open my case. Take out the one facing down range. Close and latch my case. Flipit around so the other one is pointing down range. Open and take out other rifle.

FFS no mags with bolts locked back and safeties on.

Actually one more. For some reason it seems louder than other indoor ranges.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Love the NRA range. As an RSO myself, I appreciate they way (some) of the RO's gently explain why they said something. I too dislike 66, but have found a route (at least during afternoon rush) that works for me. From MD (WW Bridge area) I take 95/495 to Springfield exit to Old Keene Mill to the Fairfax Parkway. I take this to 66 and go East to 50 and left on Waples Mill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom