• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Mehhh... I just went through two boxes of .410 in my back yard this afternoon... and I was the quietest person in the neighborhood. All depends on where you live and what your neighbors are comfortable with.

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    Wait... so according to the law pasted in the post by BeoBill, in PG Co you can fire at squirrels eating your tomatoes in your yard?

Is that right? Or am I missing something?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Wait... so according to the law pasted in the post by BeoBill, in PG Co you can fire at squirrels eating your tomatoes in your yard?

Is that right? Or am I missing something?

Looks like it is OK as long as the squirrels are in season and you have a valid license, if required, and follow all the DNR rules or have a special permit from DE(?)R. But you should check to be sure you read all of the laws that might apply.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Looks like it is OK as long as the squirrels are in season and you have a valid license and follow all the DNR rules or have a special permit from DE(?)R. But you should check to be sure you read all of the laws that might apply.

Unless there has been a major change, a license is not needed to hunt upland game on your own property.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Unless there has been a major change, a license is not needed to hunt upland game on your own property.

You are right, I fixed it, and here is the link to the rules:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/licenses-stamps-permits/

Still have to have a hunter safety class and follow all the rules. Air rifles are legal for hunting. Might not find many squirrels eating tomatoes when squirrels are in season.
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/small-game/

Last edited:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I am sorry for you guys in HoCo! Here in Balto Co, I shoot my long bows and air guns in the back yard. The police told me it was good as long as I have a backstop and keep it safe. The neighbor kids think it's cool to see arrows fly. I have a .177 Weihrauch HW30s. It is a spring piston air rifle and I have used it to shoot Starlings and English sparrows. Those are invasive species and can be shot without a license and no limit. So have fun! I'll be moving to a new place soon and will set up a more elaborate 3D archery range in the back yard.

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    So, then, you can only shoot animals who are damaging your crops or property when they are in season?

That seems counter to the purpose of a law like that...

I wouldn't call it "hunting", but "protection of crops and property"...

The squirrels where I live are awful. I got maybe 2 decent tomatoes off of four big plants a couple of summers ago. The squirrels would squeeze through the chicken wire, strip them when they were still green, and leave them half-eaten on the ground!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    So, then, you can only shoot animals who are damaging your crops or property when they are in season?

That seems counter to the purpose of a law like that...

I wouldn't call it "hunting", but "protection of crops and property"...

The squirrels where I live are awful. I got maybe 2 decent tomatoes off of four big plants a couple of summers ago. The squirrels would squeeze through the chicken wire, strip them when they were still green, and leave them half-eaten on the ground!

For out of season you need a special permit. I believe the Department of Natural Resources will issue you one with just a phone call. However the PG county law referenced above refers to a permit issued by the Department of Environmental Resources whoever that may be. The other options would be to reduce the local squirrel population through hunting and or trapping (might need a trapping license) when they are in season so there is less demand on food sources the rest of the year. Or get chicken wire with smaller holes.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    For out of season you need a special permit. I believe the Department of Natural Resources will issue you one with just a phone call. However the PG county law referenced above refers to a permit issued by the Department of Environmental Resources whoever that may be. The other options would be to reduce the local squirrel population through hunting and or trapping (might need a trapping license) when they are in season so there is less demand on food sources the rest of the year. Or get chicken wire with smaller holes.

Or just make sure the neighbors are equally predated and cool with the idea.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    this doesnt answer his question in any way shape or form.

+++++1

So screw the Introduction Thread; just come on in and start taking the benefits; sorry but that sounds like Obama voters. It doesn't take much to invest a little time in a introduction. I hate it when total strangers come up to me and want medical advice without so much as a howdy doooo.....:innocent0

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I believe here in Monkey Cty, any gun is a firearm (including pellet, dart and nerf guns) and welcome to the forum!

This is a firearm too, in Montgomery County

poptart_20130304174213_320_240.JPG

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Gad-zooks! Am I glad to live in a free America where shooting bow/arrows, pellet guns, pistols and rifles is legal. And shooting tree rats on our own property requires no tag nor season.

Feel sorry for you poor folks stuck behind the iron curtain of communism.

Rfl_Shtr

Mar 6, 2015
    I WOULDN'T live in a county that wasn't gun friendly. I grew up in Baltimore, worked my way out and never looked back. What a cesspool ! Here, most folks in the community are like minded and neighbors actually shoot together. We look out for one another and help out where we can. They should just push 695 and everything within it right into the bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom