How hard is it to replace the gas block on an AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    I want to replace the old school, tall post style block on a Colt 6721 with a low profile block. Is this something I should have a gunsmith do? Does it require specialized tools?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Two pins use a punch and a BIG hammer to whack em out. Tap the gas tube roll pin out and replace gas tube on low profile block.
    Thats the hard way.
    Easy way is whack the two taper pins out and cut down the bayonet lug and FSP. Remove handguard and barrel nut and replace with free float handguard of your choice.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Are you wanting it lower for aesthetics or for it not to be in the way of a new handguard, sight? I would have it cut and retain the nice fit of the original. Just me though.

Sometimes they can be tough to convince off. You will need to remove the muzzle device also if present.

Jun 27, 2015
    Martinsburg, WV
    If you do decide to remove the A2 sight the pins are directional need to be removed from left to right and installed right to left pertaining to the 6721

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just be sure of which side of the taper pins you use your punch on. The answer is: The side of the sight that has the narrower pin ends is the side you apply the punch.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    Are you wanting it lower for aesthetics or for it not to be in the way of a new handguard, sight? I would have it cut and retain the nice fit of the original. Just me though.

Sometimes they can be tough to convince off. You will need to remove the muzzle device also if present.

New hand guard.

SO you guys think cutting the existing A2 block is the way to go? I doubt I'll ever decide I want one in the future.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    New hand guard.

SO you guys think cutting the existing A2 block is the way to go? I doubt I'll ever decide I want one in the future.

Chopping the FSB is relatively easy. The hard part is driving out the taper pins.

The barrel and FSB are drilled/reamed to mate up already, so it makes perfect sense to re-use it when possible.

And if you're willing to spend some time smoothing out your work on the FSB, it can look pretty good too, if you don't hide it under the new handguard/rail system.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You are going with the most secure method. Good decision!

If your not removing the FSB, taper the hell out of the barrel in case you slip with the cutoff wheels.

As Outrider said, LOOK at the taper pins, they don't always come out the same way depending on who drilled the taper pins, and some AR'S use straight pins and not taper pins.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD

If your not removing the FSB, taper the hell out of the barrel in case you slip with the cutoff wheels.

As Outrider said, LOOK at the taper pins, they don't always come out the same way depending on who drilled the taper pins, and some AR'S use straight pins and not taper pins.

I'm assuming you meant tape and not taper?

Thanks for the advice. I'll wrap it up good. :thumbsup:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

True, I have one that still sports the orginal A2 front sight, but employs a quad rail. Decided that the original sight was about as tough as it could be and kept it to add a fixed rear. Worked out well.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    A red dot sight that cowitnesses in the lower 1/3. Works out pretty well.

That's what I'm "worried" about. I've never used co-witness before. I feel like the picture would be too crowded for me.

I don't want to buy a riser for the optic and magnifier I'm getting just to decide I don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom