• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkin' Logs

May 5, 2015
    So the about a week ago I stopped in at White Marsh Arms (funny name for a place in Owings Mills) an bought a stripped lower and a parts kit. Took it home, and put it together in about 30 minutes. It was easy and came out good.

Fast forward a few days, and I'm really liking the lower and want to go pick up another for .300 blackout build. I get there and was informed that I can't purchase more then one regulated firearm in a 30 day period and that my application would be denied if I submitted it for another lower :sad20:.

Now I had also heard that if you buy a completed lower (as long as it isn't completed in a pistol config) that they are not regulated and are cash and carry. Is this true? If so, does anyone know of anyone selling completed lowers?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So the about a week ago I stopped in at White Marsh Arms (funny name for a place in Owings Mills) an bought a stripped lower and a parts kit. Took it home, and but it together in about 30 minutes. It was easy and came out good.

Fast forward a few days, and I'm really liking the lower and want to go pick up another for .300 blackout build. I get there and was informed that I can't purchase more then one regulated firearm in a 30 day period and that my application would be denied if I submitted it for another lower :sad20:.

Now I had also heard that if you buy a completed lower (as long as it isn't completed in a pistol config) that they are not regulated and are cash and carry. Is this true? If so, does anyone know of anyone selling completed lowers?

Are you saying you took it home the same day you bought it?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    NO, a complete lower is Still regulated.

BUT, you can buy what is termed an H-BAR (Heavy Barrel) AR-15 rifle ready to fire cash and carry, as many as you want at a time.

Now try to make sense out of that? Maryland laws are just a little twisted.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

I bought a complete lower from The Gun Shop and had to wait the 7 days...although I am "Designated Collector" and can buy more than 1 at a time, and/or more than 1 every 30 days....see below:

This is what you need to avoid the 30-day rule.
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...Registration/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

Download the affidavit here
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...on/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors/Documents.aspx

Fill it out, get it notarized, and send it in. After you get a confirmation in the mail, you're exempt from the 1 regulated purchase a month rule. You still have to wait the 7 days for pickup though

It probably will be no good to you for this transaction, since it'll more than likely take 30 days to get your "designated collector" letter, but it is handy and good to have. Not to mention, it's free and doesn't expire. :thumbsup:

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    It probably will be no good to you for this transaction, since it'll more than likely take 30 days to get your "designated collector" letter, but it is handy and good to have. Not to mention, it's free and doesn't expire. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I got mine earlier this month and it took less than two weeks to get it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It probably will be no good to you for this transaction, since it'll more than likely take 30 days to get your "designated collector" letter, but it is handy and good to have. Not to mention, it's free and doesn't expire. :thumbsup:

I got mine earlier this month and it took less than two weeks to get it.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I think it was almost 2 months when I got mine back in 2013, but the MSP was slammed then.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Start building your 300 upper now. You can always use the lower you just bought to test it out. After 30 days get another lower. Dont let the MD dumbness stop you from getting what you want.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    NO, a complete lower is Still regulated.

BUT, you can buy what is termed an H-BAR (Heavy Barrel) AR-15 rifle ready to fire cash and carry, as many as you want at a time.

Now try to make sense out of that? Maryland laws are just a little twisted.

Okay so I am going to try to make sense of Maryland Laws here so it is sure to be contradictory. AR10 Lowers (Striped/Complete) are Cash and Carry correct? I assume the only reason the AR15 Lowers are regulated/7 day wait are because they can be built into pistols. However a complete Lower with a stock would not be able to be built into a pistol therefore in a logical world would make it cash and carry? Like I said making sense of a non logical law so take it for what its worth.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You CAN buy more than one regulated firearm per month without your DC. What happens is after you submit the form they process it and give a different date for pickup taking into account the 30 day wait and the 7 day wait.
    AR lowers are regulated because MSP are idiots. No legal reason. FWIW you can build an AR-10 pistol (though not with off the shelf parts).
    And complete AR-15 lowers are regulated and AR-10 lowers are cash and carry.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    You CAN buy more than one regulated firearm per month without your DC. What happens is after you submit the form they process it and give a different date for pickup taking into account the 30 day wait and the 7 day wait.
    AR lowers are regulated because MSP are idiots. No legal reason. FWIW you can build an AR-10 pistol (though not with off the shelf parts).
    And complete AR-15 lowers are regulated and AR-10 lowers are cash and carry.

Roger yeah I was thinking about that for the 308's but again was trying to make rhyme or reason of the law.

So the laws in a logical world would be all lowers cash and carry.

Some what logical following MD's attempt at a a a law. Stripped lowers are regulated/ 7 Day wait. Complete Lowers are not regulated bc they have already been built to rifles per se.

Then we have actual application of MD law which is a cluster F.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Roger yeah I was thinking about that for the 308's but again was trying to make rhyme or reason of the law.

So the laws in a logical world would be all lowers cash and carry.

Some what logical following MD's attempt at a a a law. Stripped lowers are regulated/ 7 Day wait. Complete Lowers are not regulated bc they have already been built to rifles per se.

Then we have actual application of MD law which is a cluster F.

NO. Complete lowers are regulated and can be built as a pistol. They have not been built as a rifle (shoulder stock and 16" barrel).

There is no legal reason lowers are regulated. MSP treats them as regulated because they're idiots.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    You can buy an H-Bar cash and carry.
    You buy a Striped Lower as regulated.

Take the H-Bar and throw away everything except the Striped Lower, you just bought a striped lower as Cash and carry. Makes perfect sense to me:innocent0

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    NO. Complete lowers are regulated and can be built as a pistol. They have not been built as a rifle (shoulder stock and 16" barrel).

There is no legal reason lowers are regulated. MSP treats them as regulated because they're idiots.

Most complete lowers are sold with stocks which is why I said they can't be built to a pistol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There really is no logic involved , either internal or absolute.

MSP's current policy of treating lowers as regulated with no legal basis for doing so , is only half as SNAFU'ed as their previous policy of prohibiting the sale of AR-15 lowers entirely , with no legal basis.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Most complete lowers are sold with stocks which is why I said they can't be built to a pistol.

If a lower has never been assembled as a rifle, (buttstock, AND over 16" OAL barrel) it does NOT matter if it had one buttstock or 50 buttstocks attached then it can be built into a pistol.

Now, two things COULD change this. If your FFL is an idiot and insists on marking the lower reciever on the 4473 as either "long gun" or "pistol" you should abide by that because it won't be the FFL's ass on the line. OR if you are not mechanically inclined enough to switch buffer tubes to go from a mil-spec with provision to attach stock to a pistol buffer tube with NO provision to attach stock.

NOTE: If you have bought a USED lower reciever that you have no verification it was built into any configuration then err with caution and only assemble it as a rifle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pistols can be made into a rifles without issues. The reverse is NOT true.

Oh, and if you assembled the lower with a butt stock and a shorter than 16", whether you can make it into a pistol is not a big deal, as you have already broken Federal law by making an unregistered SBR. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom