Want a Xbow but know NOTHING about them....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattyrayb

Feb 23, 2010
    waldorf
    I have a Barnett jackal that I've been happy with. Came with a red dot scope, bolts, and quiver. In the $300 range

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I was in the same boat as the OP and ended up picking up the Barnett Jackal with Red Dot package from Amazon for $234. I really wanted the package with the reticle scope that my buddy got but for some reason the prices on the Red Dot were $60-70 cheaper on Amazon. My buddy actually agreed to switch scopes with me if I didnt like the Red Dot but I ended up liking the red dot more. I have shot it maybe 25-30 times with no issues and it pretty accurate at 20 and 30 yards and I had never shot an xbow before. I would highly recommend it for the price.

Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head
    I'm reviving an old dead thread rather than start a new one.

I've got an old shoulder injury and don't think I can properly draw and be accurate with a compound bow. I'm looking to pick up a xbow for the upcoming season. I don't think I wanna break the bank in case I'm just not that into it.
    I was looking at the Barnett Wildcat C5 from Dick's. I guess it's a discontinued model, so they are liquidating whatever old stock they've got. The bow seems highly rated on some of the review sites from earlier in this thread. At a price point of $260 would I be crazy to pass it up?
    Does anyone have any hands on experience with the Barnett Wildcat C5? I haven't been able to find one at a local retailer to get a feel for them.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I'm reviving an old dead thread rather than start a new one.

I've got an old shoulder injury and don't think I can properly draw and be accurate with a compound bow. I'm looking to pick up a xbow for the upcoming season. I don't think I wanna break the bank in case I'm just not that into it.
    I was looking at the Barnett Wildcat C5 from Dick's. I guess it's a discontinued model, so they are liquidating whatever old stock they've got. The bow seems highly rated on some of the review sites from earlier in this thread. At a price point of $260 would I be crazy to pass it up?
    Does anyone have any hands on experience with the Barnett Wildcat C5? I haven't been able to find one at a local retailer to get a feel for them.
    It sounds like a great price. People get hung up on the equipment. It is more about the person behind the equipment. Buy it. Practice with it. Confirm that you're accurate. Hunt ethically. You're set! Remember that there are some very skilled hunters who decide to go back to very primitive methods of bow hunting, for the challenge. You're buying a very modern piece of equipment.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Put a scope on it, and you are good out to 50 yards with a Barnett.

Red dots are okay, but the batteries don't last forever.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Try zimmermans archery in saint Mary's county. He normally sells bows at very good prices. It is an Amish shop so no Sunday's and he only takes cash or checks. He will normally give a discount for cash. He will let you try out most of the bows. Go in there with a budget in mind because he will put a more expensive bow in your hands before he puts the one in your price range in your hands hoping you will buy the more expensive one.

I bought a used bow from him a few years ago and he has been great about servicing it for me. He also sells corn a lot cheaper than most other places. It is worth the 40 min drive for me to keep going back to him.
    Good luck

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County

+1
    The Wicked Ridge is a very nice cross bow. Its very accurate. You will ruin bolts if you shoot at the same bullseye at 40 yards.

I've had mine for a year.
    Pros:
    -made by Ten Point
    -price is right
    -impressively accurate and consistent
    -built in cocking mechanism is clunky but effective.
    -if you buy it at Dicks, they honor Sports Authority 20% off coupons!!

Cons:
    -its big and awkward to carry through the woods
    -the retractable cocking mechanism can be noisy if not used carefully.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom