• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yup just buy them out of state, dont tell the state that the 20rd PMAGS hold and feed 21 either!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Ok, question for you guys..

I found a Stag 5L 6.8mm in stock at a PA gun store near my parents.
    That gun far as I know only comes with a 25 rnd and 28 rnd mag

Easy answer is to ship the gun to a MD FFL dealer and the mags to my parents house.

BUT

Is it ILLEGAL for them to sell me the gun as a MD resident sinc I dont think the gun is mfrd with less than 25 rnd clips. There are 5 and 15 rnd 6.8mm clips but the gun iisnt manufactured and shipped with anything less than 25rnds

Tell the dealer to take the mags out of the box and either keep them or give you a credit for them. AIM will remove 30 round mags for MD sales, these guys should also be able to that.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ok, question for you guys..

I found a Stag 5L 6.8mm in stock at a PA gun store near my parents.
    That gun far as I know only comes with a 25 rnd and 28 rnd mag

Easy answer is to ship the gun to a MD FFL dealer and the mags to my parents house.

BUT

Is it ILLEGAL for them to sell me the gun as a MD resident sinc I dont think the gun is mfrd with less than 25 rnd clips. There are 5 and 15 rnd 6.8mm clips but the gun iisnt manufactured and shipped with anything less than 25rnds
    It is not the gun, it is the mag. They can sell a rifle that only takes 100 round mags and it would not matter if the 100 mag is not with the rifle at the time. It has nothing to do with the rifle itself.

I am not a lawyer, but the law is clear, it only applies to detachable magazines and not the firearm that takes them.

Article - Criminal Law

§ 4-305.

(a) This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    So do I understand correctly, any mag of any capicity if bought outside MD can be brought back and used without issue?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    So do I understand correctly, any mag of any capicity if bought outside MD can be brought back and used without issue?

It is 100% legal to buy mags in this state that have a capacity of up and including 20 rounds. Doesn't matter if they are rifle or handgun or even shotgun.

If you go out of state you can bring anything back if you wish.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    I really want to watch somebody try to load a Hi-Cap mag from the bottom, and then try to get the follower, spring, and bottom plate back on. This sounds like it would be really entertaining to watch.

(Sorry to post to such an old thread, but google lead me here while searching for some info on Hi-Cap .22 mags.)

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK color me confused. I just got me a new toy at my local friendly FFl dealer and they told me that I cannot get a magazine for my handgun over 10 rounds. However, I saw that the 10 round band for handguns has been lifted and it is 20 round limit for long guns and pistols.

Which is it and where can I find it documented. I always get different answers from different dealers. I have purchased handguns that had 15 round mags in them before from the factory. So I think the dealer is wrong about the 10 round mag restriction for handguns but trying to find it in writing is darn near impossible on the MSP or Maryland State web site.

BTW, the dealer also said it was illegal to buy hi-cap mags out of state and transport them back to Maryland even if it is only for personal use.

Thanks,

Dave

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    OK color me confused. I just got me a new toy at my local friendly FFl dealer and they told me that I cannot get a magazine for my handgun over 10 rounds. However, I saw that the 10 round band for handguns has been lifted and it is 20 round limit for long guns and pistols.

Which is it and where can I find it documented. I always get different answers from different dealers. I have purchased handguns that had 15 round mags in them before from the factory. So I think the dealer is wrong about the 10 round mag restriction for handguns but trying to find it in writing is darn near impossible on the MSP or Maryland State web site.

BTW, the dealer also said it was illegal to buy hi-cap mags out of state and transport them back to Maryland even if it is only for personal use.

Thanks,

Dave
    Hope it wasn't an IP here telling you that. They are wrong at the very best.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Thanks,

Dave

What dealer? And what guns? We can probably find them for you.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Thanks,

Dave

from: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.30.htm

No mention of 10 rounders being restricted. You won't find any law giving permission for something specific, just the restrictions. If it's not restricted, then by default it's legal.

.30 Possession of Magazines-----Exemptions.

The manufacture, sale, offer for sale, purchase, receipt, or transfer of a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition is prohibited, with the following exceptions:

A. The magazine is for a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;

B. The magazine is for an individual identified in Regulation .02C(2)(a), (c), and (d) of this chapter;

C. The magazine has been rendered permanently inoperative;

D. There has been a transfer of the magazine by inheritance or to a personal representative under the same circumstances specified under Regulation .02C(2)(e) and (f) of this chapter.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    It was not an IP from here and my new toy is a S&W 6906 9mm. It comes with either a 10rnd magazine or a Hi-Cap 12 rnd magazine. Not here to out anyone just making sure I am legal.

I want to order a couple of 12 round magazines for my S&W 6906 from Gunbroker and want to make sure they can ship them here to me legaly.

Dave

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Yup - you can legally use them in Maryland - just cant buy them or be shipped in the State Of Maryland. Have them shipped in another state, and go pick them up there. The dumbass State Of Maryland loses on revenue & taxes - their loss.

I use my high cap magazines at the range alot!

Attachments

• TOMMYDRUM.jpg
      TOMMYDRUM.jpg
      151.7 KB · Views: 474

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK but again, if the capacity for any magazine is now 20 rounds then I should be able to order and ship those 12 round magazines to me....right?

Dave

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think you got ripped off. Of course you should have gotten the 12 round mag with your pistol. Anything up to 20 rounds is legal to transfer within Maryland.

That dealer was either lying, or he was an ignorant fool. Every dealer includes the normal-cap mags, up to 20 rounds, with guns sold in Maryland. It sounds like that guy wanted to get rid of a California magazine, and dumped it on you.

You will have no trouble getting 12 rounders shipped to you.

Please tell us the name of the dealer. He was 100% wrong. If he took advantage of you, he should be exposed here.

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    My dad's 92FS came with 5 15 round magazines when he bought it off the used market, as well as my brother's USP .45 holding 12, so I'd imagine the 10 round cap on handguns is null, and whoever said that was valid was either lying or didn't know better.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... so I'd imagine the 10 round cap on handguns is null...

There is no "imagining" about it. That 10-round nonsense ended with the sunsetting of Clinton's Bayonet Lug Ban, back in 2004 or 2005. And there never was a distinction between rifle and pistol mags.

... whoever said that was valid was either lying or didn't know better.

This.

Either the dealer wanted to get rid of a low-cap mag, or he was a doddering, senile old Fudd.

If you check back today, you'll probably find that they took the poor drooling fool away to the Home yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom