• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    I have a friend that lives in Columbia/Elkridge in a townhouse and was target shooting with his break-action in the back yard. A neighbor called the cops complaining about someone running around with a rifle in the area. Two officers with pistols drawn came around the building and once they saw it was a pellet gun asked if they could try it. They said it was not a firearm so no citation just a thanks and be careful.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    They said it was not a firearm so no citation
    This is how I see it and had it explained to me. If somehow shooting a air/spring powered pellet gun, that would make it illegal to shoot airsoft, rubber band guns, or slingshot. and as far and I know, they are all legal

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Doesn't there have to be some "fire" to make a "firearm"? I can't believe those dumb laws.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    been awfully busy lately and haven't been online much but saw this thread today. my daughter got an air rifle from Santa this year so I stopped by the barracks here in Frederick to ask the very same ?.

The county deputy looked at me like i had 2 heads and deferred to the state trooper. The answer I got from them (no guarantee they were correct) was that as long as the pellet stayed on our property, and no property/personal damage was done - then there is nothing in the frederick county code which prevented shooting an air rifle.

The HOA docs also don't specifically mention anything about firearms/air rifles...

interesting though - makes me want to go search to see if there is a law on the books here in FredCo...

FePhoenix

May 31, 2012
    Lexington Park
    I have a Beretta PX4 (16 shot clip, CO2 powered .177 bb/pellet pistol, 480fps), a Umarex Steel Storm (burst of six or single shot, CO2 powered, BB only - looks like an Uzi, 600?fps), and a Gamo Silent Stalker Whisper IGT (.22 Nitro piston rifle, 975fps). All these weapons look like firearms. They all have laser sights. The rifle also has a really nice scope and a bipod, and the other two have tactical lights.

I started using airguns when the HOA would not allow me to install an invisible dog fence (yeah, stupid) to let my Pit Bull keep the critters out of the garden. I checked the HOA stuff, found nothing applicable (just firearm stuff). I advised my neighbors what I was planning to do. No problems with any of them, and a couple even asked that I "target" their gardens as well.

I then checked with the St Mary's County Sheriff and the State Police. What I was told was that I can use an airgun on my own property (or other person's property with their permission), and follow firearm safety procedures, like be aware of your backstop, etc. If an officer is dispatched, set the weapon down so as to not have him be nervous and inform him at earliest opportunity that it is an airgun. My residence is also tagged in the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) system, by my request, as having airguns.

I've been using them for about three years now for varmint control, and have had only one visit from a Sheriff. A new neighbor wasn't aware of the sound difference between a high-end airgun and a firearm... I am an EMT and ambulance driver, and know nearly all the local LEO folks on sight, and he knew me. The deputy, a friend of mine, just verified that it was a non-firearm, took a few shots, had a few laughs, and went on his way. No other visits, though I've been informed of one other call, where the dispatcher just educated the caller.

Not sure of your area? Check with local LEO. Paranoid? Get the name of the officer who told you that you're okay. Note date/time of conversation.

Jackalope

I live in northern A.A.co 4 blocks form the Balto city line and was told basicly the same thing as some of you. I an shoot any kind of BB, pellet, or air gun so long as the BB's or whatever I'm shooting does not leave my property. My information came from Sgt. Graves of the A.A.co police.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I live in northern A.A.co 4 blocks form the Balto city line and was told basicly the same thing as some of you. I an shoot any kind of BB, pellet, or air gun so long as the BB's or whatever I'm shooting does not leave my property. My information came from Sgt. Graves of the A.A.co police.

AACo law directly contradicts that. You have to have a backstop of some sort in order to be legal. And one noise complaint will shut you down.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    been awfully busy lately and haven't been online much but saw this thread today. my daughter got an air rifle from Santa this year so I stopped by the barracks here in Frederick to ask the very same ?.

The county deputy looked at me like i had 2 heads and deferred to the state trooper. The answer I got from them (no guarantee they were correct) was that as long as the pellet stayed on our property, and no property/personal damage was done - then there is nothing in the frederick county code which prevented shooting an air rifle.

The HOA docs also don't specifically mention anything about firearms/air rifles...

interesting though - makes me want to go search to see if there is a law on the books here in FredCo...

Nice!
    I'll have to get my daughter a bb gun now!

rkgsmith

Nov 26, 2011
    Some of you are confusing firearms with guns. BB or Pellet guns are not firearms according to Mont Co. Law There are specific laws that cover shooting in an urban zone. however as long as it's safe and on your property you can shoot bb guns and pellet guns. They are not firearms under the eyes of the law. The urban zone laws also cover anything above .25 cal, and must have powder as a propellant.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Some of you are confusing firearms with guns. BB or Pellet are not firearms according to Mont Co. Law There are specific laws that cover shooting in an urban zone. however as long as it's safe and on your property you can shoot bb guns and pellet guns. They are not firearms under the eyes of the law. The urban zone laws also cover anything above .25 cal, and must have powder as a propellant.

Not really. It is county dependent. In Charles, they are treated as firearms and you must follow firearm laws with shooting them.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    It varies by locale, not just by state.
    For instance, here's Howard County's definitions & laws:

(http://library.municode.com/HTML/14680/level3/CO_TIT8CRMI_SUBTITLE_4FICO.html)

IANAL: I read through this and as far as I can tell, it is technically illegal for me to go outside and shoot my Beeman P1 at a target up against the hill in my backyard. I can though, technically, legally, go out with my fully loaded 12 gauge shotgun and unload it into any dangerous, threatening, disease carrying rodent that wanders onto my property.

It looks like this law was just passed in 2009.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mount Airy doesn't allow the discharge of an air rifle in the city limits unless it fires steel bbs.

So I just mounted a bayonet on my Gameo and I run down the ground hogs and stab them.

My neighbors are less chatty than they use to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom