• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Back on original topic: I'd love to hunt hogs closer to home :)

Same here. We used to hunt some feral hog on my grandparents farm that ran wild on the pipelines that run through St.Mary's county that used to be owned by Stewart Petroleum, but, that was back in the late 70's and early 80's. I can account for at least 10 hogs that were taken back then in the Redgate area.

I would have to assume if there are any progressions of hogs from the South coming to Maryland, they have to come in from the Western counties or from the North, there's not really natural bridge for them to migrate into the state from the South, we're surrounded by water on 3 sides, but, we know a hog can swing with ease too.

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    So Ed, let me me ask you this, say someone shoots a feral hog in Maryland and then the DNR grabs their gun, their vehicle, their hog and them. So they go to prison and their cell mate is some big dude that's got a life sentence from killing and eating the family that used to live next door to him, and the cell mate as a way of welcoming him makes the hog-shooter squeal like a pig.

Wouldn't that be ironic?

LMAO:lol2: That is funny.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Send them westward. I will be waiting with my #2 Bridgers, #3 softcatches, and the misc #2's.

I've left misc #2's around.

If you see someone run madly for the nearest curb and scrap their shoe, that was probably me.

Last edited:

KevinB

Dec 4, 2008
    Germantown
    You guys surprise me. When I first saw the thread title, I thought I'd soon see pics of Barbara Mikulski, and so far no mention. :sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    hate to do this...

Attachments

• images.jpg
      images.jpg
      11.9 KB · Views: 163

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    You guys surprise me. When I first saw the thread title, I thought I'd soon see pics of Barbara Mikulski, and so far no mention. :sad20:

Yeah I figured this thread would get way off topic on another subject too, but, surprisingly enough, everyone has been playing nice and not ruining another thread.

bowtiebandit

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbia
    Jonathan A. McKnight
    Associate Director for Habitat Conservation
    Maryland Department of Natural Resources
    Wildlife and Heritage Service
    508 Taylor Avenue
    Annapolis, MD. 21401
    410-260-8539
    jmcknight@dnr.state.md.us

Has anyone called or emailed him asking for clarification?

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm currently in SC and saw a roadkilled hog in southern Virginia on the way down. First on eI've ever seen. I think I may go down to Georgia in March and shoot me sum hogs!!!!!!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    This crew likes to make an appearance throughout the year in my neighborhood. Looks like they're reproducing as well :thumbsup:
    There are several larger adults just out of picture-I was focusing on the youngins to show my kids.

OK- Did a screen shot on a movie to get the adults. Don't know much about hog hunting, but up close they looked pretty big.

I triple dog dare DNR to make them legal.....

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpg
      IMG_3240.jpg
      125.7 KB · Views: 127
    • Screen shot 2010-10-05 at 11.49.20 PM.jpg
      Screen shot 2010-10-05 at 11.49.20 PM.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 125

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This crew likes to make an appearance throughout the year in my neighborhood. Looks like they're reproducing as well :thumbsup:
    There are several larger adults just out of picture-I was focusing on the youngins to show my kids.

OK- Did a screen shot on a movie to get the adults. Don't know much about hog hunting, but up close they looked pretty big.

These hogs are fine examples of domesticated hogs that are now considered feral / wild. Wild boars do not have those dual color patterns. The black/white patterns are known as Bazna's, Bantu's, and Banzers, depending on country. The full pink/white pigs are known as Yorkshires. Wild hog, when the domestication has been "bred out" through a few generations are either full black or redish browns.

I'm assuming this is in St.Mary's ? I'm familiar with the jargon from your location: line

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    These hogs are fine examples of domesticated hogs that are now considered feral / wild.

Have you noticed, they do not have ear tags?

Pigs/Hogs do get out, from time to time. I as an individual raising a hog for myself, I would not tag a hog/pig, and would be pissed if someone shot my property.

Kind of like someone shooting your dog for getting loose, because the collar had broken.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL

Those are obviously escapees since they are way to fat even to be truly feral. That said, if I saw them for any length of time (i.e. they weren't rounded up and returned to the farmer), they're dinner.

Edit: Also, over time even a domesticated pig's skull will change shape forming pretty much a straight line from snout to ears. If they have that high forehead and a bridge between the ears and the snout which those pigs do, they are domesticated and/or haven't been in the wild long. The opposite is also true; hogs will loose the straight line and will form that dip/bridge between the ears and snout if you domesticate a wild/feral hog. Hogs are interesting critters in that their skull will change shape even in adulthood depending on whether they are feral or domesticated.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Pigs/Hogs do get out, from time to time. I as an individual raising a hog for myself, I would not tag a hog/pig, and would be pissed if someone shot my property.

True that, but, if you are raising them as a market hogs, people come to check you out because you better paper work for each hog you own, this is a law.

These days people don't raise hogs like they use to for food, back then, they tagged and put stamps on them to keep them from being rustled like Texas steers. I am curious however to find out what classifies as a feral hog, if it was a lose pig to start with, would that hog be considered a feral hog, or would the second gen offspring be considered the first gen feral. Oh boy..., I have another question now LOL

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    These days people don't raise hogs like they use to for food, back then, they tagged and put stamps on them to keep them from being rustled like Texas steers. I am curious however to find out what classifies as a feral hog, if it was a lose pig to start with, would that hog be considered a feral hog, or would the second gen offspring be considered the first gen feral. Oh boy..., I have another question now LOL

Now, you are coming around.

Not all "Farmers" are commercial. When the economy continues to sink, backyard farming will come back into the limelight.

Pigs/Hogs are the ultimate recycler, and a great source of protein. :yummy:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Now, you are coming around.

Not all "Farmers" are commercial. When the economy continues to sink, backyard farming will come back into the limelight.

Pigs/Hogs are the ultimate recycler, and a great source of protein. :yummy:

No, I've been around, a few times. I understand what has been said before, the problem is some of the previous comments were not said the way they should have been, this is why I gave up trying to fight the "law" issues in this thread, but, it's all good, let's just keep this thing on track with hunting hogs and not taking them to court.

I will say, my grandfather used to have some really mangy old hogs that never left the hog pin, and were never slaughtered for winter meat, but, after many years, that hog had the tusks and the hair to make one think it was actually a pinned wild boar, but, his hogs were always tagged as well, even though they were not market hogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom