• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    But don't you think if Woollard had his own attorney that was just working on just getting his ccw renewed, and after this case got to the point where you could see where it was heading, don't you think the deals would be made between the attorneys in the back room?

Nobody knows so no need to guess.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Although the state seems to have an uphill lcimb to justify a stay using the same logic that failed them in the actual ruling, the simple fact is that it is up to the courts.

Big Changes (tm) could come with a stay. Federal Courts are loath to overturn a state law, especially one defended so energetically by the state. A judge could stay his decision on that reason alone - that in the interests of federalism he does not want to enforce a law change on his ruling alone. He could simply say, "Pretty sure I am correct, but the change is large enough to demand more than me saying it."

Gura/Hansel would probably argue that the judge need not worry what the 4th will think, because they can think for themselves and the state will go to them if the district court does not grant the stay. So "extra eyes" would surely review the case and the effect would not rest solely on this judge.

You cannot handicap these things. We've got an uphill climb of our own.

I had said at one time the state is hoping for a gun hating judge, or at least a ccw hating judge along the way.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I had said at one time the state is hoping for a gun hating judge, or at least a ccw hating judge along the way.

Once they get past the stay in front of Legg, they are no longer in a single-judge environment. At a minimum, from what I understand (IANAL), they face a panel of at least three judges at CA4.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    From the Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board website...
    This Board was established in 1972 (Chapter 13, Acts of 1972) to review Maryland State Police decisions regarding handgun permits.

Any person whose application for a handgun permit, or renewal of a permit, has been rejected or limited, or whose permit has been revoked may ask the Board to review the decision of the Superintendent of the Maryland State Police.

The applications that were returned with checks IMO have been rejected by the MSP. Is there a difference between a denial and a rejection or are they the same? Isn't it the Board's responsibility to review MSP decisions regarding handgun permits, even if the MSP's decision was to return/reject the application? If MSP refuse to act on these permits, and the Board responsible for overseeing the MSP permit process refuses to act, what is one to do then?

It seems that every decision that Maryland makes just opens up another can of worms.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Nobody knows so no need to guess.

Subject to his permission, MSI should throw a Banquet in honor of Woolard.

Invite Woolard, as the guest of honor, to sit on a dais with Del Smigiel and all the other preeminent 2A supporters.

Attendees might pay ~$50 for a prime rib dinner - and get a commemorative, limited edition MDShooters T-shirt.

All proceeds would then be donated to SAF and MSI.

Hell, you could even hold the first annual Brian E. Frosh Assault Rifle Raffle at $25 per ticket with all proceeds donated to Brian E. Frosh handgun training scholarship fund or whatever.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    me thinks Merlin is really Doug Gansler on a fishing trip! :tinfoil:

:D

He is not. He is a new member who happens to not know all the ins and outs of forums and the internet. He is an avid member and supporter of our community and just happens to be new at this social networking thing. Not every generation grew up with the internet. I'll leave it at that.

I'd rather not chase off good people just because they don't get all the internet memes, forum tricks or are new to the internet etiquette game. I haven't seen Merlin do/say anything rude, untoward or disrespectful of others. I have seen an awful lot of swipes at him, though.

Folks, it takes all kinds and we are attracting all kinds of people who would normally never venture into the public sphere of this stuff. We need to be nice to the newbies or end up acting like that crackpot asshat beind the gunstore counter who always knows everything, tells you that you are always wrong and won't let you look at the gun you want because you are not worthy. :)

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    He is not. He is a new member who happens to not know all the ins and outs of forums and the internet. He is an avid member and supporter of our community and just happens to be new at this social networking thing. Not every generation grew up with the internet. I'll leave it at that.

I'd rather not chase off good people just because they don't get all the internet memes, forum tricks or are new to the internet etiquette game. I haven't seen Merlin do/say anything rude, untoward or disrespectful of others. I have seen an awful lot of swipes at him, though.

:thumbsup: I second that :thumbsup:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    The only thing that remotely makes sense is that the State is desperate to deter and get rid of as many pending apps as possible. The number of applications filed immediately after the ruling must be in the 1000s. Must be a bit overwhelming to the MSP not accustomed to such a volume. Returning the apps means they don't have to devote resources (manpower) to processing them with interviews and the like. That saves money (I doubt that the $75 even begins to cover the true cost in manpower it takes to process). Returning the apps also deters more applications, as they are counting (correctly) on this new return policy becoming widely known. Saves more money and it keeps evil guns out of the hands of the State's subjects (sorry, citizens).

Maybe that is just it, viz., that they have really NOT thought through how it affects their pending stay motion. OR, Maybe they figure they will lose the stay motion anyhow so returning the apps now *might* just have a plus factor (in their minds) of discouraging reapplication or new apps. OR, Maybe they think they will win the Stay and the appeal for sure and thus this is the cheapest way to go about issuing denials. OR, Maybe they are just clueless. Notice that they don't list Board review as an option in the form letter, so they probably don't think it will impact the Board (no one will take a 5-312 appeal), or, if it does, that is the Board's problem, not the MSP's problem (separate budgets).
    O'Malley:Special session likely
    :innocent0

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Once they get past the stay in front of Legg, they are no longer in a single-judge environment. At a minimum, from what I understand (IANAL), they face a panel of at least three judges at CA4.

Better for us, but now I say the state is hoping for two ccw hating judges. I guess they feel that have nothing to loose.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The only thing that remotely makes sense is that the State is desperate to deter and get rid of as many pending apps as possible. The number of applications filed immediately after the ruling must be in the 1000s. Must be a bit overwhelming to the MSP not accustomed to such a volume. Returning the apps means they don't have to devote resources (manpower) to processing them with interviews and the like. That saves money (I doubt that the $75 even begins to cover the true cost in manpower it takes to process). Returning the apps also deters more applications, as they are counting (correctly) on this new return policy becoming widely known. Saves more money and it keeps evil guns out of the hands of the State's subjects (sorry, citizens).

Maybe that is just it, viz., that they have really NOT thought through how it affects their pending stay motion. OR, Maybe they figure they will lose the stay motion anyhow so returning the apps now *might* just have a plus factor (in their minds) of discouraging reapplication or new apps. OR, Maybe they think they will win the Stay and the appeal for sure and thus this is the cheapest way to go about issuing denials. OR, Maybe they are just clueless. Notice that they don't list Board review as an option in the form letter, so they probably don't think it will impact the Board (no one will take a 5-312 appeal), or, if it does, that is the Board's problem, not the MSP's problem (separate budgets).

This does make the most sense. Even if the MSP was all for ccw's being given out, they are not setup for this load I'm sure. Like anything else. if they have 5 troopers doing whatever, they most likely need 20. Also the do not have to be concerned with the clock on each and everyone they send back.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Folks, it takes all kinds and we are attracting all kinds of people who would normally never venture into the public sphere of this stuff. We need to be nice to the newbies or end up acting like that crackpot asshat beind the gunstore counter who always knows everything, tells you that you are always wrong and won't let you look at the gun you want because you are not worthy. :)

Patrick - you are right.

Merlin - I offer my apologies to you if my misguided attempt at humoring with Mr. Gansler was taken as a swipe at you, sir. God knows, I certainly have very few answers to anything.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Do you mind sharing the letter you attached to your application when sending it requesting an appearance in front of the review board? I am about to complete mine and send it off but I am not as knowledgeable as all the rest when citing specific reasons with in the MD code. I am not going to take this letter verbatim but I did plan on using it as a reference when constructing my own to send off sometime this afternoon. Anyone for that matter? Thanks.

I went with something along these posts:

http://ns2.md-shooters.net/showpost.php?p=1608370&postcount=221

and then modified it to include reference to 5-311 per this post:

http://ns2.md-shooters.net/showpost.php?p=1608382&postcount=225

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Subject to his permission, MSI should throw a Banquet in honor of Woolard.

Invite Woolard, as the guest of honor, to sit on a dais with Del Smigiel and all the other preeminent 2A supporters.

Attendees might pay ~$50 for a prime rib dinner - and get a commemorative, limited edition MDShooters T-shirt.

All proceeds would then be donated to SAF and MSI.

Hell, you could even hold the first annual Brian E. Frosh Assault Rifle Raffle at $25 per ticket with all proceeds donated to Brian E. Frosh handgun training scholarship fund or whatever.

I like ideas, ideas, are good, ideas are food!! One thing, though -- MDS is a friend of MSI's, but there's no official relationship between the two entities. MSI events should give out MSI t-shirts! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom