• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The letter says there are two things you can do at this juncture. It doesn't say there are only two things you can do.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DL should have no indication of your firearm license. YOUR ADDRESS is on it. A lost permit tells the criminal right where to go for a firearm or two.

sorry

:sad20:

Sep 6, 2011
    Garrett County, MD
    You might want to have Judge Legg's decision in your hip pocket, to let them know their actions are unconstitutional.

Be prepared for the condescending attitude from the carry permit review board.

Actually, I had planned on including it, citing it in the verbage of the request for appeal. Stating something to the effect that MSP KNEW there would be applications flooding in, and they chose to hold some, they could have given me the option to hold mine as well. A simple phone call to request I state in writing that my application be held like the ones pre stay are.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    DL should have no indication of your firearm license. YOUR ADDRESS is on it. A lost permit tells the criminal right where to go for a firearm or two.

sorry

Patrick's idea was basically Constitutional Carry.

Everybody's driver's license would be a carry permit, unless a 5 minute NCIS-type background check revealed them to be a Prohibited Person.

So all those Suburban Million Soccer Mom Brady Huggers would have carry permits. Franciscan Friars would have carry permits. Most people would have carry permits, even if they were wild-eyed "Melt-'em-all-down!" Antis.

In Wyoming, your proof of Wyoming residency is your carry permit. This would be almost the same, except it would reveal to everybody who had a Prohibiting arrest record, psych history, etc. And there I see a problem.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Threeband said:
    Patrick's idea was basically Constitutional Carry.

Everybody's driver's license would be a carry permit, unless a 5 minute NCIS-type background check revealed them to be a Prohibited Person.

So all those Suburban Million Soccer Mom Brady Huggers would have carry permits. Franciscan Friars would have carry permits. Most people would have carry permits, even if they were wild-eyed "Melt-'em-all-down!" Antis.

In Wyoming, your proof of Wyoming residency is your carry permit. This would be almost the same, except it would reveal to everybody who had a Prohibiting arrest record, psych history, etc. And there I see a problem.

Which is no worse than the restrictions placed on your DL that you have to wear glasses or no night driving. YMMV

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I was just thinking is spite of all the fancy language used to muddy the water of what constitutes good and substantial in reality all permits when you get right down to it are in fact issued for self defense. Case in point you have been issued a permit because you frequently carry large amounts of cash. Criminal approaches you presents a weapon and states it is my intent to harm you because I want your cash. The threat of physical harm to YOU is what creates the need for the firearm. Based on the current discriminatory logic someone could beat the snot out of you provided they had no intent to rob you of your cash. Your firearm could not be used because it was issued to protect your cash not your life. A firearm is to protect a person if you want to keep someone from taking your cash try chaining it to a big rock.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Your address is on the carry permit also.

But why double the possibility? I don't always carry my 4 permits with me. Some guys only carry the permit if they are carrying, so if you are carrying your permit and not carrying, there are more guns at your residence. Why risk the extra exposure?

BTW my FL permit has no address on it. That makes some sense to me

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

sorry

I don't see the issue. A lost DL tells them where to find a CAR (presumably worth more than your gun) ;)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    But why double the possibility? I don't always carry my 4 permits with me. Some guys only carry the permit if they are carrying, so if you are carrying your permit and not carrying, there are more guns at your residence. Why risk the extra exposure?

BTW my FL permit has no address on it. That makes some sense to me

Everybody's driver's license is a carry permit!

Only people prohibited to own guns would be identified. Those are the more likely burglary targets, according to many.

Honestly, I don't believe any criminal is going to research burglary targets using carry permit information. That person likely only has one gun, and is carrying it.

Most American houses contain guns. Pick a house at random, and go for it.

jfox

Mar 27, 2012
    You might want to have Judge Legg's decision in your hip pocket, to let them know their actions are unconstitutional.

Be prepared for the condescending attitude from the carry permit review board.

A very condescending attitude by the review board. This should be useful in helping those who intend to sue both the state and the board members personally. However, the applicant couldn't have been more professional or composed, this is a model of how EVERYONE who goes before the review board should act, in my opinion.

I would be willing to bet the state is going to try to make changes in an upcoming budget special session; so we do need to be vigilant.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A car can't be started without a key. A gun sure can. I'm not taking a side, but I think using a system where prohibited people would be flagged would be just fine.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    A car can't be started without a key. A gun sure can. I'm not taking a side, but I think using a system where prohibited people would be flagged would be just fine.

Hmm... You really just made that statement... No need to address the first part of that statement, that's too easy. Do you wonder why Md has an internal lock law for handguns? If you use your internal lock (:D) then your gun does need a key.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    None of us like the laws that deny us an unalienable right, but I didn't think that the review board was very condescending. The issue at those meetings wasn't to evaluate or interpret the second amendment, but to enforce the law by reviewing the applicant's need. I'm sure that my comment won't be received well by many people here, but we're not going to get what we want by the review board that is conducting business as usual after the stay was issued. We simply have to wait for the appeals to run their course. Hopefully there will only be one appeal and we will be victorious.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    That's where the creative thinking part came in. I've never been accused of thinking INSIDE the box.

If I understand this correctly, a stay allows them to temporarily return to processing as to prior Woollard. It does not indicate that the G&S clause has magically been deemed constitutional all of a sudden, just that they have permission to process under the broken system while developing a process that does not violate 2A.

Maybe the review board will see that US Constitutional rights spelled out in 2A ARE being denied by this process, and realizing that the system is broken, will rule favorable to our rights irregardless of the G&S clause.

Keep in mind that the review board can deny you under the current rules of the game. Asking for a review does one big thing, though: it uses the process afforded you to the fullest extent of the law. If you stop before all the hurdles are finished, then you give up chance of appeal after the ruling is upheld/stay is lifted.

I suspect the state will say you are not allowed a review because they do not consider your permit as having been acted upon. Keep that letter. It proves you went as far as you could.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Keep in mind that the review board can deny you under the current rules of the game. Asking for a review does one big thing, though: it uses the process afforded you to the fullest extent of the law. If you stop before all the hurdles are finished, then you give up chance of appeal after the ruling is upheld/stay is lifted.

I also bet that if enough people went with the administrative appeal, at least some people would win by dint of the timeframe allowed. No idea what kind of 'win' this would be, but it would be interesting. And a ddos on the board would be good for a laugh.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I also bet that if enough people went with the administrative appeal, at least some people would win by dint of the timeframe allowed. No idea what kind of 'win' this would be, but it would be interesting. And a ddos on the board would be good for a laugh.
    DDOS the HrB.

LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom