• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Just curious, how many folks on here now have bought a Walther PPQ?

I put another 240 rounds through mine today and am just stunned at how accurate it is for a compact. I also brought my Glock 22 w/ 40-9 conversion barrel along so I could compare them side by side and I must say when comparing ergonomics and trigger break the Walther wins hands down. :thumbsup: Granted one is a fullsize and the other compact, and with the conversion barrel thrown in I don't think it would be fair to compare accuracy; however my gut feeling is that the Walther is more accurate. Maybe I need to buy a Glock 19 and do an exact apples to apples comparison. ;)

Now, I just wish I would have held out for a First Edition.

Bofu

Feb 19, 2012
    I've got one. Not sure if it counts considering it's my first & I haven't shot it yet, but figured I'd chime in. :)

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I've got one. Not sure if it counts considering it's my first & I haven't shot it yet, but figured I'd chime in. :)

Pretty sure you're supposed to review it and tell us how awesome it is before you shoot it. In your review, you have to use the phrase "feels good in the hand."

Bofu

Feb 19, 2012
    Pretty sure you're supposed to review it and tell us how awesome it is before you shoot it. In your review, you have to use the phrase "feels good in the hand."

I can make that work. Do you think I should throw in a few "weight distribution" and "easy on the eyes" type phrases to balance it out or would that be a tad too much?

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I can make that work. Do you think I should throw in a few "weight distribution" and "easy on the eyes" type phrases to balance it out or would that be a tad too much?

Yes, it has to be entirely focused on aesthetics. You can extrapolate reliability and accuracy from how it looks as well.

I really wanted a PPQ, finally tracked one down, then realized it was more of a compact gun. I prefer full size guns as range toys, so I didn't buy it. It did feel good in the hand though.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Okay... so you guys got me thinking about the "compact" comment in my original post. I thought I read somewhere that Walther labelled the PPQ as a compact, but I have not been able to find that source. So I looked up the overall length:

Glock 19 - 174mm
    Walther PPQ - 180mm
    Glock 17 - 186mm

Clearly positioned between the two... I retract my "compact" comment.

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    Got mine and put 200 down the pipe, the grip angle and trigger makes it a superb shooter.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I played with one at basspro today. I took it completely apart and checked things out inside. I'm still going to say i like the p99 AS better. They hyped up the ppq's "new" trigger....but it's not. It's just the AS trigger with the hook cut off of the double-action sear and a trigger safety added to the middle of the trigger face. My p99AS trigger in "SA" mode feels the exact same, with similar reset, except it doesn't have the glock-ish safety in the middle.

The ppq gets rid of being able to decock the striker and carry it in "da" mode(and double-strike that some people like). Another thing that sucks is you can't just hit the decock button to release the sear from the striker to take the slide off, you've got to pull the trigger. The striker indicator out the back is also gone(which makes sense because there's no "da" capability anymore).

I did like the changes to the grip and the addition ambi slide release. I also like the changes to the trigger guard up front and the rail on the dust cover. They make sense and will allow many more things to fit up front. I also like the three little bulges on either side of the grip. Something about them just makes the grip fit in between my fingers better.

Pretty much everything else is the same from sights to mag release. I wish they'd release this frame, with the AS slide up top and the AS sear. It'd be a better improvement than this polish backwards gun that's so close to being great...but is still pretty good.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    How much are they going for at Bass Pro? I already have one, just curious.

Forget the exact amount but i think it was somewhere around 580...substantially cheaper than the p99s. I'm leaving now to go in to work, i'll edit this when i get there.

here now, it's $599. Its in 40 short n wimpy so it's sure to cause chad lots of internal strife...much like a usp in 40.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Forget the exact amount but i think it was somewhere around 580...substantially cheaper than the p99s. I'm leaving now to go in to work, i'll edit this when i get there.

Thanks. I tried ordering one at BPS several weeks ago, but they gave me a hard time about ordering it. They also gave me an outrageous price and told me an ETA was unavailable, so I ended up buying a M&P-15 22 instead.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Thanks. I tried ordering one at BPS several weeks ago, but they gave me a hard time about ordering it. They also gave me an outrageous price and told me an ETA was unavailable, so I ended up buying a M&P-15 22 instead.

I still dont understand why people buy guns there anymore. Mark at 2A has them for $550; just a ten minute drive from Bass Pro. Unfortunately he doesn't sell circus peanuts, beef jerky, or women's jewelry. ;) :lol2:

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I still dont understand why people buy guns there anymore. Mark at 2A has them for $550; just a ten minute drive from Bass Pro. Unfortunately he doesn't sell circus peanuts, beef jerky, or women's jewelry. ;) :lol2:

My family buys me gift cards to Bass Pro because they know I love firearms. After my last several purchases at Gun Connection, I told my family to start giving me money because Bass Pro can't satisfy my shooting needs the way GC can. Dan sold me my PPQ for pretty close to what Mark at 2A sells his for. Nothing compares to a good small shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom