• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sveiks

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ok, before you all jump all over this post with the OBVIOUS differences (build quality and such)

I have a Burris XTS-135 and I was thinking about getting something else for another gun I own. I was looking at the AIMPOINT Pro Patrol and i will admit, it is a nice item.

But, assuming I don't end up in a situation like Patrick Swayze in Red Dawn (no, i didn't like the remake), can someone help me understand the benefits of the AimPoint over the Burris?

The majority of my shooting is continuing my is on Office Supplies and the occasional bit of produce.

I'm hoping I'm not going to start a Coke vs Pepsi debate here, just looking for the practical merits of one over the other.

THANKS.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Aimpoint. You save money in the long run. 3 year battery life versus (I don't know what Burris specs are). You getter better glass, a better warranty, a better reticle, better build quality a decent integrated mount and a better resale value down the road.

And you also get to rule the interwebz pwning noobz who bought the cheap stuff.
    That and once you get to know your dope you can switch it between different rifles with little to no hassle.

Sveiks

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 10, 2013
    say what?

That and once you get to know your dope you can switch it between different rifles with little to no hassle.

my god I feel old..... I have no idea what this means. Especially the first sentence.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    my god I feel old..... I have no idea what this means. Especially the first sentence.

It just means you need to spend less time in tghe reel worldz, and moar time on tghe interwebz.

If you get the Aimpoint, be sure you have enough money left over to buy the big roll of duct tape, for taping trauma plates to your back.

Otherwise, research here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=145936

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/daniel-zimmerman/gear-review-lucid-m7/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...h-vs-aimpoint-vs-primary-arms-red-dot-scopes/

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Aimpoint. You save money in the long run. 3 year battery life versus (I don't know what Burris specs are). You getter better glass, a better warranty, a better reticle, better build quality a decent integrated mount and a better resale value down the road.

^^^^ This!!!!

You get to run around on the web, making fun of all the "tacti-cool, operator, mall ninjas" that really don't know squat, except for where to get the cheesesteak. Either that or you get to hang out here with the cool kids while giving a ration of crap to those that think they know everything, when they clearly don't know squat.

n00b(s)/noobz/newb(s) - newbie/new person that is unfamiliar with things.

Sveiks

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 10, 2013
    i agree...

Buy once, cry once. Aimpoint hands down.

believe me I agree with that philosophy. and I have no doubt that the AimPoint is a better item. But I have the Burris, and am rather happy with it...

I'm just trying to fill in the gaps of 'is it worth spending more'. let me phrase it another way....

i want the AimPoint and I'm trying to find a way to justify it to myself. :)

I do have higher end stuff, but they are items that (in my opinion) don't have a direct competitor; Trijicon ACOG and EoTech EXPS2. but there are MANY red dot sights out there...

like i said, i'm just trying to talk myself into it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    believe me I agree with that philosophy. and I have no doubt that the AimPoint is a better item. But I have the Burris, and am rather happy with it...

I'm just trying to fill in the gaps of 'is it worth spending more'. let me phrase it another way....

i want the AimPoint and I'm trying to find a way to justify it to myself. :)

I do have higher end stuff, but they are items that (in my opinion) don't have a direct competitor; Trijicon ACOG and EoTech EXPS2. but there are MANY red dot sights out there...

like i said, i'm just trying to talk myself into it.

Where are you located? If it is anywhere nearby, you can check out the one I have.

Sveiks

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 10, 2013
    Slight aside to anyone interested in a Burris ar-332.

Dvor.com has them for $289 and Burris has a $100 mail in rebate. $189 for a $350ish sight.

I'm not advocating the 332, just throwing it out there.

Try the vortex line , that's not a bad choice ,, I've got a few eotech's , and had a few aimpoint's ,, you won't have to worry about dropping it and it suddenly stops working ,, I also have a few vortex items , sparc & strikefire , both work great for having a good time ,, but the vortex hasn't been combat tested , not to say that they wouldn't hold up , but it's a nice product and won't break the bank ..

PALYDIN11

Jan 26, 2013
    Ocean City, MD
    Try the vortex line , that's not a bad choice ,, I've got a few eotech's , and had a few aimpoint's ,, you won't have to worry about dropping it and it suddenly stops working ,, I also have a few vortex items , sparc & strikefire , both work great for having a good time ,, but the vortex hasn't been combat tested , not to say that they wouldn't hold up , but it's a nice product and won't break the bank ..

I just read your post. I like the Vortex Sparc II. I have one aimpoint on a rifle and really don't want to pay the price for another one. I am leaning toward the Sparc II for a range rifle.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    ^^^^ This!!!!

You get to run around on the web, making fun of all the "tacti-cool, operator, mall ninjas" that really don't know squat, except for where to get the cheesesteak. Either that or you get to hang out here with the cool kids while giving a ration of crap to those that think they know everything, when they clearly don't know squat.

n00b(s)/noobz/newb(s) - newbie/new person that is unfamiliar with things.

Guess we got a bunch of mall ninjas here
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=126195&highlight=Cheesesteak
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=123567&highlight=Cheesesteak
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=76092&highlight=Cheesesteak

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Personally if you are comparing red dots with a single central dot you are talking about antiques that the AMU is trying to wean the combat units off of. For a reason. I don't mind single dots for certain types of competition but for 3-gun and tactical use nothing beats somekind of CQB reticle or a tactical 1-4 or 1-6 scope. The Ballistic CQ reticle of the Burris tactical scopes and prism sights is a generation better than a simple red dot, be it an Aimpoint or Eotech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom