• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    New member here. Looking to build my first AR pistol.

I've decided to go with a Spike Tactical lower, with their enhanced lower parts kit.

What barrels would you all recommend? I want to go with a 10.5'ish length.
    And what upper receiver?
    Keeping in mind cost is a factor.

Also, is there any other LPK you all would recommend other than the Spikes that would cost around the same price with trigger group? Ideally I'd like to have a two stage trigger, and the Spikes has a single stage

WELCOME!!!:party29::party29:

Engage Armament and 2A sales & supply both had a good selection of pistol barrels last time I was at both shops.

I like cmmg lpk's, which comes with a single stage trigger group (with a lot of creep, I swapped it out later), but if your set on a 2 stage trigger, you can find a parts kit without the trigger group, then add your own 2 stage trigger.

raheelc

Aug 31, 2014
    WELCOME!!!:party29::party29:

Engage Armament and 2A sales & supply both had a good selection of pistol barrels last time I was at both shops.

I like cmmg lpk's, which comes with a single stage trigger group (with a lot of creep, I swapped it out later), but if your set on a 2 stage trigger, you can find a parts kit without the trigger group, then add your own 2 stage trigger.

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill definitely check them out!

What uppers would you recommend? Also, are there any decent 2 stage triggers for under $100? Can't really spend more than that on a trigger at the moment

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Thanks for the suggestions! Ill definitely check them out!

What uppers would you recommend? Also, are there any decent 2 stage triggers for under $100? Can't really spend more than that on a trigger at the moment

I don't know if it is two stage but the ALG trigger that I got as part of my PSA LPK is very nice and costs less than $50

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can also find the Geissele G2S at about $100 from time to time. Got one a week or so ago for $110 shipped.

raheelc

Aug 31, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions...I'm pretty sure the ALG trigger is a single stage though.

@Pinecone, where did you buy the G2S trigger from?

Also, any recommendations on an upper receiver?

Has anyone use MAS Defense barrels before? Worth buying?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions...I'm pretty sure the ALG trigger is a single stage though.

They are single stage, but there is not a better deal going for AR triggers at the moment than either of the ALG setups. (I have the QMS, but the ACT is also nice.)

Honestly, unless you really need the two stage for long range target work or whatever, I think you're just as well set with either of the ALG triggers, especially when you take cost into account.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

@Pinecone, where did you buy the G2S trigger from?

Also, any recommendations on an upper receiver?

Has anyone use MAS Defense barrels before? Worth buying?

Not sure. I think it was from the Classifieds on Sniper's Hide. They person had a fairly large number of them for sale.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I too am curious about Mas Defense barrels. Has anyone used them before? I'm not cheap but I can't afford a high end barrel either and the price on them is low.

Last edited:

raheelc

Aug 31, 2014
    They are single stage, but there is not a better deal going for AR triggers at the moment than either of the ALG setups. (I have the QMS, but the ACT is also nice.)

Honestly, unless you really need the two stage for long range target work or whatever, I think you're just as well set with either of the ALG triggers, especially when you take cost into account.

Yeah cost is a factor, but I like the way a two stage trigger feels as compared to a single stage. Just wanted to see if there was anything available for under $100. Otherwise, I'll probably go with the Spike's tactical trigger that comes in their enhanced LPK. Would you recommend the Spike's or one of the ALG?

Not sure. I think it was from the Classifieds on Sniper's Hide. They person had a fairly large number of them for sale.

Sent you a pm!

I too am curious about Mas Defense barrels. Has anyone used them before? I'm not cheap but I can't afford a high end barrel either and the price on them is low.

Same here, I have a certain budget in mind that I want to stick to. I have seen a few images posted in this thread where people have used MAS defense barrels and uppers. Seem to be excellent quality

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013

yep exactly, not going to be doing long range bulls eye shooting with a pistol,which is exactly why I went wilson combat ttu single stage

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yeah cost is a factor, but I like the way a two stage trigger feels as compared to a single stage.

That's fair enough. With all this stuff, sooner or later the answer is "because I like it." :)

Otherwise, I'll probably go with the Spike's tactical trigger that comes in their enhanced LPK. Would you recommend the Spike's or one of the ALG?

Honestly I can't answer that question because I have zero personal experience with the Spike's trigger. The two ARs I have the most trigger time on have a stock single stage Rock River trigger and the ALG QMS trigger. I definitely like the QMS more of those two.

raheelc

Aug 31, 2014
    That's fair enough. With all this stuff, sooner or later the answer is "because I like it." :)

Honestly I can't answer that question because I have zero personal experience with the Spike's trigger. The two ARs I have the most trigger time on have a stock single stage Rock River trigger and the ALG QMS trigger. I definitely like the QMS more of those two.

Ok thanks for the help! Just picked up a Spike's lower today, next purchase will be the LPK and trigger :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Here's mine. I've got to decide on what optics I want to go with, but other than tightening everything up in a vice, it's done.

Jim Smith

Pictures Removed

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Believe it or not, it's a $15 Pro Mag grip. I bought my first one 2 years ago and fell in love with them. They can also be used to shoot right or left handed. They are well made and they fit my hands like a glove.

Jim Smith

Last edited:

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Cool, been looking for something different. Was considering a mako but like the way yours looked. It appears to be very nice. Especially for $15.

Thanks !

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Best deal when building an AR in my opinion.

You're welcome and good luck!
    Jim Smith

m0bas

Feb 26, 2012
    My first AR Pistol.

EA Pistol Build.jpg

Upper
    -Engage Armament E4 Pistol 7.5” complete upper featuring:
    -EA’s Black Nitride BCG
    -VLTOR BCM charging handle.
    -I put Magpul’s XTM hand stop on it

Lower
    -EA billet lower
    -JP LPK WITHOUT trigger group
    -Phase 5 HEX-2 Pistol buffer tube kit with Sig Brace attached.
    -H2 buffer and buffer spring
    -B.A.D. EPS Pivot/Takedown Pins
    -B.A.D. ASS ambi safety, Regular/Thin
    -Odin Works Extended Mag Release
    -Geissele G2S Trigger Group
    -Ambi End Plate
    -Magpul MOE-K2 Grip

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members