• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Sounds like we both had a bad one today.. Mine went like this.

9am building lower, something is wrong with the LPK( trigger won't reset unless I push forward on the trigger ...help if you know why! )

10:30 give up and use another lower I had ready to go to try out my new 10.5 pistol upper
    11:30 arive at buddies house
    11:45 kid looses 4 of 6 arrows in the weeds.
    12:00 I shoot the 10.5. It shoots, extracts, but will not pic up another round. I had watched a vid with the same upper and they cut the buffer spring dwn and it worked. I cut a few and tried again.
    No luck.
    While working on it..
    Cops show up
    Cop seemed pretty calm and cool about it, told us be careful, responsible for rounds etc.. And leaves. He was a gun guy( had a bullet pen when he took out info.. I didn't say anything but noticed it)
    Friends show, we shoot some more. I get pistol Ar working.. Yea!
    Son shoots my real pistol. I take a .40 cal hot brass to the face As it went over his shoulder and caught me right in the eye.
    I was pretty much done.
    I'm still sitting here trying to figure out this LPK issue. I'm annoyed.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Remove the springs from the HAmmer and Trigger. Install only the trigger and see if the sides bind in the lower, if not drive in the trigger pin. Does it move freely still? Remove the trigger and do the same with the hammer. If there is no binding then well look for something else.

BTW the coil clipping is not a good thing. You need unloaded in battery tension and when you clip it you reduce that load. The gun has a gas leak, a bad BCG, improperly aligned gas port, or the gas port is undersized more than likely.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    You were hitting the steel with you 5" suppressed AR too. I saw some hits in the spotter.

The Duffys M1A was the showstopper though. Mine are just chopped and silenced wieners.

Reminds me of a Joke:

Guy works at a pickle factory and explains to his wife that lately he has a burning desire to stick his penis in the pickle slicer at work. He said he thought the desire would pass but it is still hanging with him and he can't get it out of his head. His wife suggest getting some therapy for the ailment but the husband refuses insisting he will beat this on his own. Some time passes and the husband comes in from work with an odd look on his face as he walks through the door and his wife asks," whats bothering you, do you want to talk about it? He explains that he was fired for finally sucumbing to the urge to stick his penis in the pickle slicer. His wife concerned asks, " OMG are you ok? and he replies, "Well yes other than needing to find a new job..." Confused she asks well what happened to the pickle slicer? , "Well they fired her too"

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Remove the springs from the HAmmer and Trigger. Install only the trigger and see if the sides bind in the lower, if not drive in the trigger pin. Does it move freely still? Remove the trigger and do the same with the hammer. If there is no binding then well look for something else.

BTW the coil clipping is not a good thing. You need unloaded in battery tension and when you clip it you reduce that load. The gun has a gas leak, a bad BCG, improperly aligned gas port, or the gas port is undersized more than likely.

Thanks chad! I will try that tonight.

Far as the pistol ar. I did notice what I thought was excessive wear on the bolt carrier for the 40 rounds I tried. It's a new Wilson combat. But unfortunatly I've had it for a while in the drawer.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    My day at Elk Neck on Friday wasn't the best trip. It was crowded (although I got there early) and several people were blatantly disregarding the range rules (there was no RSO and I'm no rule-Nazi but people coming down the bank with uncased shotguns and holstered pistols is a bit unnerving given some of the history of unsafe shooting at Elk Neck). In general I felt unsafe and ended up leaving

It's always best to just pack up & leave if you feel like people are not behaving in a safe manner...

I stay away from Elk Neck on their weekend "RODEO's"...

YEEHAW...

Weekdays are generally a good option at Elk Neck...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It's always best to just pack up & leave if you feel like people are not behaving in a safe manner...

I stay away from Elk Neck on their weekend "RODEO's"...

YEEHAW...

Weekdays are generally a good option at Elk Neck...

Oh the weekends are the worst, no doubt, but that range is just not watched enough. I made the mistake of thinking that the Friday of Labor Day weekend would be calm :sad20:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The trick to public ranges is to sweep everyone with a flare gun and tell them its a grenade launcher. Everyone leaves and the range is now safe to use at your leisure.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The trick to clearing out the rifle section at MSAR is simple. Let me loose to bump the 50 a few times.

Everyone left after that, not sure why...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The youngins and a few older guys thought I had a Happy Switch on the pistol range when I was shooting the little 9mm AR. Teratos just smiled and said, nope. That's his finger. :lol2:

I was keeping them on steel too. This gun sits next to my bed.

I had a young man and his dad who were very interested in my quiet mosin PU clone. The young man had lots of questions. He said he wanted to be a gunsmith.

If I had my own place I would do classes for young boys and girls who want to see what smithing is about.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    do I even want to know? lol
    I have the worst luck with guns first my PSA bolt is Junk now this? I didnt cut any corners with it SH8t the gun is $2300 worth of work

That one guy who used to work at Scotts never settled up on the bet where I shot the cigarette in half with one shot.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

Got home from the range today and pulled that lower back out. I swapped the hammer out with a known good hammer from a earlier build. It now works.. weird thing... i put the new Anderson hammer into the other lower and it Also works.. win win. :shrug:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    The trick to public ranges is to sweep everyone with a flare gun and tell them its a grenade launcher. Everyone leaves and the range is now safe to use at your leisure.

My 54R Vepr clears the range in 10-15 mins. Its loud and if i am on the far left of a line with say 8-10 spots, the steel cases nail the ppl on the 8th spot and bounce to hit the rest. It clears the older folks that "take a shot, record- take a shot" out in less than 5 mins.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    My 54R Vepr clears the range in 10-15 mins. Its loud and if i am on the far left of a line with say 8-10 spots, the steel cases nail the ppl on the 8th spot and bounce to hit the rest. It clears the older folks that "take a shot, record- take a shot" out in less than 5 mins.

I can attest, nothing like hot casings raining down from 8 lanes away. Very nice rifle though. Need to get one of those MI optics rails like you have on yours and a brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom