• teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've always used Winchesters til someone raved about Hogdon 777.....only hang-fire I've ever had in 10 or 12 years of muzzle loader hunting was while using the 777s. I was shooting at a giant whitetail. Needless to say, I miss him.

I'd be prone to buy no more than 100 at a time, just so they don't get old on me if I'm only using them for M-loading.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I look it at 3 times the cost. If you don't need 1000, though it's penny wise and pound foolish to buy that many, unless you want to be prepared for the next 3 primer shortages.

PMD354

I have used Hodgdon Pyrodex 50/50 pellets (2) with WW 209 regular shotgun primers for years and have never had a problem. The only thing that I make sure to do is drop the darker end in first.

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I look it at 3 times the cost. If you don't need 1000, though it's penny wise and pound foolish to buy that many, unless you want to be prepared for the next 3 primer shortages.

I agree, no need for 1000 but can still buy 100 for $5 instead of 10 for the "purpose built" primers.

Since I had such an issue last year with locating the percussion caps I picked up an inline and while not stockpiling, I don't want to end up on empty when the season rolls around.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    I buy them buy the 1000, Winchester, CCI's and Remingtons for the Gatling Gun and never had a misfire, only a light strike once in awhile. I never waste my money on these so called black powder primers.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have used Hodgdon Pyrodex 50/50 pellets (2) with WW 209 regular shotgun primers for years and have never had a problem. The only thing that I make sure to do is drop the darker end in first.

Have you tinkered with the Hodgdon Tripple Seven? It tends to shoot cleaner and is non-corrosive. I love the stuff.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Have you tinkered with the Hodgdon Tripple Seven? It tends to shoot cleaner and is non-corrosive. I love the stuff.

I have shot lots of it in my Gatling Gun and if I dont clean it with in 2 days it will start to rust. Non- Corrosive my A$$.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Has anyone been able to find any CCI 209M primers? Haven't been able to find them anywhere.

I hunted at shops and at Gun Shows. None since last Dec. They may be out there, just did not find any. Saw some online a couple times but did not want to pay $70 for 1000 primers, nor did I feel like trying to buy and sell.

I wanted it for using BH209.
    CVA sells a modified breech plug designed for BH209. I got that then purchased standard shotgun 209 primers (not ML type 209 primers) and flawless in about 20 firings so far with BH209

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have shot lots of it in my Gatling Gun and if I dont clean it with in 2 days it will start to rust. Non- Corrosive my A$$.

I'm shooting through a stainless barrel...seven or so years and not a single pit

:shrug:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I hunted at shops and at Gun Shows. None since last Dec. They may be out there, just did not find any. Saw some online a couple times but did not want to pay $70 for 1000 primers, nor did I feel like trying to buy and sell.

I wanted it for using BH209.
    CVA sells a modified breech plug designed for BH209. I got that then purchased standard shotgun 209 primers (not ML type 209 primers) and flawless in about 20 firings so far with BH209

Same here. I couldn't find magnums and have been using rio shotgun 209s with the stock breechplug and BH209 with no problems at all.

PMD354

I have not tried the triple 7's. My nephew swears by them. The 50/50 pellets in my inline shoots 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. That is good enough for me. And by the deer I have killed using Hornady 240 grain XTP's I'll just stick with the 50/50 pellets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom