• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Ok, I'll start by stating this isn't reloading related but involves one of the materials. With that said, I'm making a lead "snake" to put inside the handlebars on one of my motorcycles. What was posted on the bike board I frequent was " fill a plastic tube with birdshot." I have the tubing-5/8" od. So now I need to fill it and then seal the ends with caulk and fish it into the bars. My questions are is "birdshot"something I just ask for and is this sold in any gun shop, ideally in the Frederick/Hagerstown area?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I honestly couldn't say, normally don't have any experience with shotgun reloading or it's supplies.

You could probably use lead shot also.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Shot comes in different sizes and alloys. The higher the number the smaller the diameter of each pellet, a #8 is smaller than a #4. Smaller shot will pack tighter in your tube. Since you are looking for weight buy the least expensive alloy the harder alloys will cost more but you arn't worried about shot deforming and messing up your shotgun pattern. You will probably have to buy a whole bag of shot I have never seen it sold loose by the pound.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You might want to find someone that reloads shotshells and see if you can get some from them. I think you'll have to buy 25 pounds at a time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Ok, I'll start by stating this isn't reloading related but involves one of the materials. With that said, I'm making a lead "snake" to put inside the handlebars on one of my motorcycles. What was posted on the bike board I frequent was " fill a plastic tube with birdshot." I have the tubing-5/8" od. So now I need to fill it and then seal the ends with caulk and fish it into the bars. My questions are is "birdshot"something I just ask for and is this sold in any gun shop, ideally in the Frederick/Hagerstown area?

How big of a tube are you trying to fill??????

Blacksmith101 said:
    Shot comes in different sizes and alloys. The higher the number the smaller the diameter of each pellet, a #8 is smaller than a #4. Smaller shot will pack tighter in your tube.
    Since you are looking for weight buy the least expensive alloy the harder alloys will cost more but you arn't worried about shot deforming and messing up your shotgun pattern. You will probably have to buy a whole bag of shot I have never seen it sold loose by the pound.

I see 5/8" diameter. How long?????

I've got some #9 shot.

Depending on how much 'shot' you need, have you given any thought to BBs??????? I think you can still buy BBs over the counter. :shrug:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BBs are steel, so a lot lighter for the volume than lead shot.

The smaller the pellets, the more densely you can pack them, for more weight in the same space.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Unless you've got a friend that reloads, you'll end up buying a 25 lb bag of shot, and having most of it sit around for the rest of your life. Might be simpler to buy a few boxes of target loads and cut them open for the shot.

I did a set of flat bars awhile back. Mixed the shot with fiberglass epoxy, plugged the other end and dumped the slurry in. Worked pretty well, too. If you find yourself near Bel Air, I'll hook you up. The bag's got plenty left.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Probably the safest way is to pull the trigger!:D

The second safest way would be to cut around the end of the shell, just below the crimp, with a carpet knife.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I think it would take about 100 shells to fill the tube. I'll head up to Hendershots to see what they have. I may just buy the Barsnake made for motorcycles for $50 if I strike out. Thanks for the replies.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    If you buy shotshells to 'reclaim' the shot, do some 'ciphering' first.

Shotshells with smaller shot (larger number) will contain about 1 oz to 1-1/8 oz of shot.

With today's prices, you'll pay a small fortune (a lot more than $50!) for enough shot to fill the tube you're trying to make.

You might as well buy a bag (25 lbs) of #9 or #12 shot. You'll most likely find #9 easier.
    So that you can pack the tube with more shot, don't go with any larger than #8 shot.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can buy a 100 round pack of Federal at Walmart for under $20.

1.125 ounces per round = 112.5 ounces of shot = 7 pounds 0.5 ounces.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The FAQ's at http://www.barsnake.com/
    say it weighs 1.5 lbs. The ID of your tube is only going to be 1/2" or so. Your cost of lead just dropped considerably if that's all you need.

Do you have a friend that duck/goose hunts that has lead #2 or 4's that he can no longer use?

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I went the shotgun shell route. It actually didn't take that many. So what would be the responsible way to dispose of the empty but live shells? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 128
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205